1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Any Recommendations on Slotted Rotors?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by shanekss415, Apr 8, 2017.

1. Apr 10, 2017 at 1:00 AM
    schleygo

schleygo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Ft Worth TX
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab Radiant Red
    Bilsten 5100s, Eibach Coils, 2" toytec AAL, LR UCAs, SC5 Matt Bronze
    I have stock rotors and hawk LTS pads and they started shimmying about a month ago. I guess it is my fault since I am the only driver. I am not racing and I am not hard on my brakes. I am just hoping slotted rotors help with warping

2. Apr 10, 2017 at 2:49 AM
    09BlueBeast

09BlueBeast Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    09 Speedway Blue TRD Sport 4x4
    Slotted rotors don't help with warping really... they just are supposed to stay a little cooler by releasing the gasses formed between the pad and rotor when the pad passes over the open pocket on the rotor

3. Apr 10, 2017 at 3:10 AM
    httuner

httuner Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma TRD-OffroadPckg
    AFe Rebel Catback Exhaust, AFe GT Momentum Air Intake, Method Wheels, Bilstein 5100, Rigid 30" SR2 Light Bar, Rigid 10" SR Light Bar. Lots of Love
    Did you bed-in the brake pads ? I've learned that brake pads; especially Hawk pads perform better when you bed them in, it always prevents vibrations. Rotors don't warp, but I suppose that's what everyone calls it these days. What's happened is the surface of the rotor is no longer even causing vibrations, this happens when you don't bed-in(break in) your new pads or rotors, there are other factors like glazing and so on.

But yes always do the bed-in (break in) process each time you replace pads or rotors or both.

TacoJova and lynyrd3 like this.
  4. Apr 10, 2017 at 8:57 AM
    Chris15sr5

Chris15sr5 Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    SR5 4x4 DCLB
    I swapped out my pads for Hawk LTS a few thousand miles after buying the truck cause i felt the stopping feel was inadequate. The Hawk pads greatly improved the pedal feel and the seat of my pants stopping power but 15K mile later the rotors started to warp. Turned out my drums were out of adjustment and was over taxing the front brakes till it started to warp. i should of known from the stronger nose dives under normal stopping and the longer pedal travel (Its been awhile since the last time i had a vehicle with drums lol).

Im going to give Power Stop drill/slotted rotors a try and just be aware of the rear drums needing adjusting from time to time.

I also have Hawk LTS pads on all 4 corners on my 09' Wrangler and 05' 4Runner 4x4 with no issues at all.

lynyrd3 likes this.
  5. Apr 10, 2017 at 11:31 AM
    09BlueBeast

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    I wouldn't get them drilled, slotted cool... drilling holes in your rotor on a daily tacoma is completely unnecessary

6. May 31, 2017 at 10:07 PM
    LePetomane

LePetomane Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Spokane WA.
    Vehicle:
    08 Sport 4X4
    Greetings, I don't really have a reply, just another question on Brakes. My 05 4Runner with 37k miles is having front brake issues. I do tow a 4klbs trailer with it, and it is used mostly around town for driving, with lots of hills. My front rotors have stress cracks in them, the drivers side caliper is sticking and has almost burned through the pads. I had this trouble on my 08 Taco, and I put new rotors and pads on it, and did a caliper piston massage which stopped the sticking, and stopped fine for another 20k miles until I traded it in on a new 16 off road. I need to do a front brake job on my Runner, and was wondering what the consensus is on the best warp and crack proof rotors there are out there. I like Wagner quiet stop pads, those have served me well, I used the Bosh rotors on my past 08 Taco, and they seemed fine. But, was wondering if there is something better that will last longer. I don't think much of Toyotas rotors, or who ever it is that builds them for Toyota. Any ideas would be appreciated.
    Rick

7. May 31, 2017 at 10:24 PM
    1largemouth

1largemouth Well-Known Member

Member:
    Martinez CA
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma
    I have EBC slottery rotors, got them thinking they would help with heat produced going down grades from the weight of my truck... Steel bumpers,winch,rack,rtt etc, They did not help at all from what I can tell. Would not by them again. And yes they do chew through pads WAY faster.

8. May 31, 2017 at 10:36 PM
    09BlueBeast

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    Been happy with my stoptech slotted rotors so far. As far as the sticking issue, u need to put some miles on it!

9. Jun 1, 2017 at 3:38 AM
    dawgrules

dawgrules Active Member

Member:
    Yes, it's really simple, increase surface area (as in larger rotors) and braking performance increases. Decrease surface area (by drilling holes or slotting) and guess what? Holes and slots are a trade off some racers make to help eliminate issues that street cars will never EVER experience.

ruffridha9 likes this.
  10. Jun 1, 2017 at 5:59 AM
    PackCon

PackCon Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Connor
    Vehicle:
    2017 Subaru Forester Limited
    Just FYI, usually the more high performance the brake pads, the lower the life. Makes no sense to do this on a daily driver for anything other than prestige.

TacoJova and SilverBullet19 like this.
  11. Jun 1, 2017 at 6:22 AM
    ejl923

ejl923 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Western Mass
    Vehicle:
    15 DCSB TRD Off Road
    considering the performance and mileage i am getting out of my stocks, i envision i will go the same route when its time, IF, the price isnt outrageous.

12. Jun 1, 2017 at 8:18 AM
    09BlueBeast

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    So when I'm driving down the mountains using my brakes hard not any performance is gained by being able to release the gasses that form between the pad and rotor huh. It's called science.... not everything is cut and dry

13. Jun 1, 2017 at 8:23 AM
    TacoMoose

TacoMoose Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma OR
    i own a mechanic shop out in NY and out of all the rotors we install, Drilled and Slotted PowerStop rotors are one of the best. they dont rust, they dont make noise, and you will have 0 brake dust on your rims. the pads last longer with these rotors. i have powerstop rotors and pads on my 2008 tacoma and after 2 years i swear it looks like the day i put it on. absolutely worth every penny. we had so many customers who would buy a brand new vehicle and come straight to my shop to install powerstop rotors and pads because they know the quality of it.

14. Jun 1, 2017 at 8:58 AM
    knottyrope

knottyrope Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Knotty
    Bahstun
    Vehicle:
    09 Taco CCLB 4x4 SR5 4.0
    Pads, rotors, ujoints, 5900K Super White Xenon HID Halogen Bulb Fog Light
    getting 150k out of stock pads and rotors makes me wonder why I should try anything else

15. Jun 1, 2017 at 10:00 AM
    andrew61987

andrew61987 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2008 Access Cab 4WD, 2.7L 5 speed
    Yeah, don't get slotted rotors. They haven't been necessary for decades and the only reason they still exist is because people think they look cool. Brake rotors work by 1. friction and 2. absorbing heat into the iron mass. Why would you want to decrease either of those by slotting (or drilling) your rotors? Makes no sense.

16. Jun 1, 2017 at 10:12 AM
    andrew61987

andrew61987 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2008 Access Cab 4WD, 2.7L 5 speed
    If you're losing your brakes on long descents you're going too fast to begin with, aren't utilizing engine braking properly, or need to buy higher quality brake pads.

17. Jun 1, 2017 at 10:16 AM
    zerotimeouts

zerotimeouts Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nor Cal
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCSB 4.0 S/C
    Couldn't agree more on blanks. I usually just get Brembo blanks and Hawk pads cause they aren't as expensive but there are lots of fakes out there so be careful. Cryo blanks would definitely be best.

If OP really want more stopping power get BBK. :burnrubber:

18. Jun 1, 2017 at 10:20 AM
    82lightfighter

82lightfighter Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Donald
    San Francisco
    Vehicle:
    09 AC TRD Sport 4x4
    I went with the Stop Tech cyro treated/slotted rotors and Hawk LTS pads, along with SS lines. Slightly improved the feel (def not as much as on a sports car), and haven't rusted over like the stock rotors did. I'm happy with the setup, got the components on sale from Tire Rack with free shipping. I used Rolling Stock here in SF for the install - really fast and cheap, my favorite tire/brake/suspension place here in SF.

19. Jun 1, 2017 at 10:26 AM
    stevotivo12

stevotivo12 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    Vehicle:
    2016 Silver Tacoma TRD Sport MT
    Front hellwig sway bar,All pro sway bar end links, Fox 2.5 Resi Coilovers and Shocks, Fox 2.5 Hydraulic Bumpstops, Budbuilt Traction bar, Total Chaos UCAs w/ heim joints, Icon AAL, AFE Power Intake with dynamic scoop, URD spec U, URD short shifter, Flossy weighted shift knob, michelin tires, black badges, black tailgate letters, black grill with custom Diaz Fab Devil horn yota logo, retrofit/morimoto HID conversion, red interior LED lights, Pioneer head unit, kenwood excelon door speakers, 2 10" pioneer subs,
  20. Jun 1, 2017 at 10:27 AM
    SilverBullet19

SilverBullet19 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Sacramento County
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCLB Prerunner TRD Sport
    Well...they still exist for high performance applications for a reason, not because they just look cool. I do, however, agree that for MOST street applications, such as a truck, they're truly not necessary.

I have them on the GTO. Can't really comment if it helped or not, because I did a full bleed and C5 Corvette pads to replace the worn out stock brakes. I do get a fun little "winding down" type sound if I have to brake hard though, as the slots make some noise lol

To Top