1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Any thoughts on what is wrong with my truck?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by tex, Mar 16, 2010.

1. Mar 16, 2010 at 8:55 PM
    tex

tex [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fort Worth, TX
    Vehicle:
    2006 V8 Sport 4Runner
    I have been having some issues with a noise/vibration coming from under my truck. The dealer said it was my rearend and replaced the 3rd member. Pick it up and was doing the same thing. Tech rides with me and says carrier bearing and my truck does not have one since its a solid drive shaft so they put in a new drive shaft. Pick it up today from the dealer and I guess they did not drive it becuase the moment I pulled out of the parking lot I noticed the same problem. I kept driving since I had things to get done. My brother rode with me and he herd it as well and had no ideas.
    I really thought the drive shaft was going to fix the issue since the noise reminded me of when the u-joints in my old chevy went bad? I am clueless as to what the problem might be.

The noise is is most noticable under normal acceleration and sometimes while enough throttle is being used to maintain speed. 2, 3 and 4 gear is where I have noticed it most.
    It is hard to describe the sound but the best way to describe it is comparing it to a fishing reel that needs oil/greese.
    Any ideas on what the problem could be?

***They found it issue. When my catalytic converter was stolen last year I had an aftermarket put on. It looks like the muffler shop did not give the new cat enough clearance over the cross member and it has been rubbing and rattling on it. I am calling the muffler shop that put it on to set up a time to adjust so I can stop going craze. Thanks everyone for the suggestions and help. This has been driving me nuts and I am so glad this is almost over.***

2. Mar 16, 2010 at 9:07 PM
    Mondwa

Mondwa Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    08 V6 Tacoma
    remote start, Allpro bumper, Slimchubby HID, MetalMiller custom Emblem
    Could be a wheel bearing(sp) from the noise you described that is what i would check. just and idea

3. Mar 16, 2010 at 10:51 PM
    numbah57

numbah57 GIVE THE MALL A BREAK...WHEEL THAT SHIT

Member:
    First Name:
    kahai
    Maui, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    09 tacoma 2.7 Beaten not Babied
    URD ARB G2 PELFREY BAMF LCE AFE
    I know how you feel, my truck makes all kinds of noises...drives me crazy

4. Mar 17, 2010 at 1:07 AM
    memario1214

memario1214 Hotshot Offroad Moderator Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Colton
    Missoula, MT
    Vehicle:
    SOLD - 05 Dub Cab TRD Sport 4x4, CURRENT - '21 Tundra MGM Limited
    Do you feel it? Or is it just a sound issue? Also, I can't see because I'm on my phone but are you a 2wd or 4?

5. Mar 17, 2010 at 4:17 AM
    tex

Member:
    Fort Worth, TX
    Vehicle:
    2006 V8 Sport 4Runner
    2wd reg cab. No lift just bigger wheels and tires. The noise sounds like it's coming from the tranny. I can feel the noise. It's just a slight vibration the truck makes. I searched a little more and read something where the drive shaft connects to the tranny going bad on another taco.

6. Mar 17, 2010 at 8:02 AM
    BigMac

BigMac Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    Standard regular Cab
    Alarm, power door locks, , Cruse control, intermitten wiper upgrade, trailer hitch, XM radio. Chrome rear bumper, Ultra Guage. Alpine Stereo
    Mine had a vibrations between 50 and 70 MPH. It turned out to be the drive shaft being out of balance. Mine is a 2007 reg cab with 23000 miles on it. I bought it used but it was out of 36/36 warranty so I had to pay $60.00 to have it balanced. The dealer I bought it from (Nissan) did give me a $60.00 service credit thought. I also have 2 Nissans in the family so it will work out for me.

Dave

7. Mar 17, 2010 at 8:07 AM
    bruce1271

bruce1271 Well-Known Member

Member:
    How about a bad U joint? My u joints were bad on my 05. They made more of a bumpy feeling than noise though.

8. Mar 17, 2010 at 12:40 PM
    memario1214

Member:
    First Name:
    Colton
    Missoula, MT
    Vehicle:
    Yeah, U-Joints tend to be pretty noticable... Did you have them check out your Torque converter? I know what that fishing reel sound is, and I am trying to figure out where on my truck I could replicate that sound... I will be back in a couple hours with my findings...

9. Mar 17, 2010 at 2:51 PM
    tex

Member:
    Fort Worth, TX
    Vehicle:
    2006 V8 Sport 4Runner
    When they replaced the drive shaft it also included new u joints. After paying very close attention to the noise it sounds like it is coming directly under me maybe slightly forward where the tranny and motor meet up. I am at the dealer now so I will update with what they say.

10. Mar 17, 2010 at 4:41 PM
    memario1214

Member:
    First Name:
    Colton
    Missoula, MT
    Vehicle:
    I could find nothing on my truck to replicate the unioled fishing reel effect... I honestly do not think that it is anything down the driveline to the wheels... It has to be more in towards your engine bay.

11. Mar 17, 2010 at 5:02 PM
    rzimm001

rzimm001 Tearmytaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobby
    Wildomar
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5 Long-Travel
    King 10" coilovers w/ resi. 3.5" over long travel kit. Factory spindles w/ ALLPRO gussets. Total Chaos tower gussets. Energy Poly cab mounts and steering rack mounts. Glassworks fenders and bedsides. Home fabbed bed cage. King 2.5x16 bypass shocks in the rear. DMZ long travel rear end. Race radio (2meter). Removed secondary carbon air filter. Exhaust dumped before the axle / no muffler. Phram fresh air cabin filter. K&N replacement filter, After market stereo, Grillcraft grill, custom fabled roof rack with 7" HID's, PRP race seats.
    I would vote torque converter. My truck made this sound as well but it was only under harder acceleration. It seems to have gone away but was never that noticeable to begin with. Almost like a propeller cavitating in water is the way I would describe the feel.

12. Mar 17, 2010 at 5:47 PM
    tex

Member:
    Fort Worth, TX
    Vehicle:
    2006 V8 Sport 4Runner
    I had a tech and the service mgr ride with me and both herd the noise. We discovered the noise between 1800 and 2000 rpm while the vehicle is loading up. They are going to look at it tomorrow and we will see what they say. I would also say the propeller noise could be another way to describe it.

13. Mar 17, 2010 at 7:10 PM
    pforbes

pforbes New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    phil
    ontario canada
    Vehicle:
    stock
    drive train modification by toyota for drivetrain shutter, vibration
    :mad:

14. Mar 17, 2010 at 7:20 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Hey now...You cant leave the rest of us hangin like that!! :(

15. Mar 17, 2010 at 8:42 PM
    luk8272

luk8272 Poodoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Southern Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    07 Silver4dr. 4x4, V6 Shortbed
    5% Tint, Bug flector, vent Visors, Removed secondary air filter, Rear Spring TSB w/ Wheeler's Add A Leaf HD Pack, Icon 2.0 rear shocks, Toytec 3" lift up front with Total Chaos UCA's, Debadged, Billet Grille,TRD Offroad rims/17x9 Pro comp 6001 rims, Duratracs 265/75/16 or 285/70/17, Fog light anytime mod, Tailgate hose clamp mod, Pro-dry AFE filter. Extended Differential Breather, ABS on/off, 6000k LEDs from CSJumper, heads/fogs, ScanguageII, Devil horns, Devil horns on third brake light, Mounted 60" Highlift, Mounted Tool Box, Wet Okole Front/Rear Seat Covers, TW sticker, Midland Handheld CB,Painted engine cover, Revenge Fab Sliders, ARE Topper, Weather tech Floorliners, Camper shell, ultimate headlight upgrade. URD -3° exhaust cam gears, .5" XTP Intake spacer. Custom dents.
    I would like to know the answer to this one.

Products Discussed in

To Top