1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Any Way To Lighten the Throttle?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by tacomtn, Aug 23, 2011.

1. Aug 23, 2011 at 11:23 PM
    tacomtn

tacomtn [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD OR,OME,Deaver AAL
    I know it's a truck but after long drives my ankle is fatiguing, even when using the cruise control as much as possible. Other cars I've driven have not fatigued me like this.

Is there anyway to lighten the load required on the throttle? Change the throttle return springs or anything? Maybe switch them out for springs for a Camry or another car? If I did that, it might affect the cruise control....hmmm.

2. Aug 24, 2011 at 4:07 AM
    buddywh1

buddywh1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Philly PA
    Vehicle:
    07 DC SR5 4x4
    Put your floor mat on it to pre-load the pedal :rolleyes: :D

3. Aug 24, 2011 at 4:14 AM
    EndlessSummer

EndlessSummer Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Sonora, CA
    haha thats actually what I was going to suggest. How can pushing a button with your fingers make your ankles tired?

4. Aug 24, 2011 at 6:53 AM
    buddywh1

Member:
    Philly PA
    Vehicle:
    07 DC SR5 4x4
    Well... humor aside... even though I'm still not certain it's a serious question!

The return spring for the pedal is built-in to the throttle pedal. It's an electronic throttle (DbW) so there is no mechanical linkage from the throttle to the pedal. The throttle plate is moved by an electric motor that is controlled directly by the ECU which receives signals from the pedal.

The ECU is also the cruise control so no, changing the pedal return spring return force wouldn't affect cruise control.

You COULD disassemble the throttle pedal and fiddle with the spring. IF you don't value your life... and would KINDLY put a huge flashing sign on your truck so that we can all know who to stay clear of.

5. Aug 24, 2011 at 6:55 AM
    chadderkdawg

chadderkdawg Don't ask questions you don't want the answer to..

Member:
    Des Moines, Iowa
    Vehicle:
    09 FX4 F150
    Um go to the gym a couple times a week? Is this for real?

6. Aug 24, 2011 at 6:59 AM
    Firetech

Firetech Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ralph
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    2010 SR5 Off Road
    I drove from Baltimore to Chicago and back with no problems!

7. Aug 24, 2011 at 7:08 AM
    brian

brian Another Traitor

Member:
    Elizabeth City, NC
    Vehicle:
    2017 F-250 Powerstroke
    Move your heel up closer to the pedal.

8. Aug 24, 2011 at 7:11 AM
    horwitzs

horwitzs Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Seth
    Dayton, WA
    Vehicle:
    TX Pro
    Supercharger, OME lift w/ LR UCAs, running boards, toolbox, extinguisher mount, skidplate, N-Fab light bar, 40" R.I. LED bar, WO seat covers, TRD intake, Weathertech mats and visors, stubby antenna, hood struts, LED interior lighting, Hella Supertones, and other stuff I'm forgetting.
    This actually helps a lot. Push the pedal with the middle of your foot instead of your toes.

9. Aug 24, 2011 at 7:17 AM
    KBToyota

KBToyota Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kurt
    Spotsy, Virginia
    Vehicle:
    96 Tacoma V6 4X4
    OME 883, 5100 all around, Wheelers 3 leaf progressive aal
    Thats probably the easiet, cheapest andmost effective way. Do a few calf raises while you brush your teeth.

10. Aug 24, 2011 at 4:35 PM
    Tacoma Mike

Tacoma Mike 48 Year Chrysler/Toyota/ASE/ Master Tech.RETIRED

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    2011 Double Cab V6 1995 Bass Tracker
    Large Storage Box, 02610 intermittent switch swap, "Hot Wire" Power Outlets, DRL Shut Off, Disable Fob Beep, Disable Seat Belt Buzzers, Parking Light Mod, Battery Tender, 4 Leaf Spring Pack, Rear Headrest Removal, Factory Tow Package (7 Pin) Rear Diff Mod, Taco Lean Mod, 2WD Low ECU.
    MMMMMMMM Ok i just can't let this one go.

Do not TOUCH this pedal. It's a very precise engineered unit.
    By playing with it your putting peoples lives at stake.
    I can't stress this enough.
    No dealer in their right mind would even think of doing anything like this.
    TOYOTA sure isn't going to. If they did a side my side comparison to a few trucks out in the lot and found yours was different per say then they would change the whole assembly.
    If someone happened to drop a pedal during the recalls we are doing, we have the change the pedal. PERIOD.
    There is nothing you can service in there. DON'T TRY.

I think your fatigue is from the angle in relation to the pedal. Toyota's do feel different in the floor board area. I believe you may be more sensitive to it than others. I was also but like others have said try changing your foot position. I think after some time you will get more comfortable with it.

Sorry if i appear rude but i would rather have someone pissed at me then get themselves or others hurt.
    Good Day..

11. Aug 24, 2011 at 10:29 PM
    tacomtn

tacomtn [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD OR,OME,Deaver AAL
    To make it clear, no it was not going to fiddle with the cruise control, only the spring rate or load required to maintain a constant speed on the throttle. So what some of your are saying is there's actually not a spring?

I could see how a Toy dealer wouldn't want to change anything there, especially given the mess they went through with the accelator issues on other vehicles.

Yes, foot position on the pedal has a great factor on this. As a medical professional I used to evaluate people with various disabilitities for driving, so I'm quite familiar with the kinesiology, anatomy, psychologoy, and visual aspects of driving.

All your jokes aside, this truck still does cause me more fatigue than other vehicles. Thanks for your replies.

12. Aug 25, 2011 at 4:14 AM
    jpmorrisvb

jpmorrisvb Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jimmy
    Virginia Beach
    Vehicle:
    2014 Barcelona Red TRD Off-Road PreRunner
    Clazzio seat covers, KB Voodoo Powder Coated Tailgate Cap, OEM running boards, ImMrYo Rear-View Mirror Lift Bracket, 35% Tinted windows, EGR window vents, color matched door handles and tail gate lift, WeatherTech FloorLiners, OEM bed mat, sound dampening on rear wall and rear doors, on anytime foglight mod
    That will send a lot of these chuckleheads running back to their holes .... well played. ;)

I know exactly what you are feeling. There have been times when I realized I am not feeling the response on the pedal as I should. I do use CC quite a bit. My experience is that of one of the suggestions ..... place more of the foot on the pedal.

13. Aug 25, 2011 at 8:18 AM
    buddywh1

Member:
    Philly PA
    Vehicle:
    07 DC SR5 4x4
    I'm sure you'd agree OP should not be fiddling with the pedal box himself. The smart thing would be to have his vehicle professionally modified. Maybe even installation of a hand throttle, but whatever don't be fiddling inside a device that is well documented to be finicky.

Fact is, none of us know whether he has a disability or anything so, while not trying to apologize for anyone else, it's good to know this forum as well as many (most?) other Toyota forums have had plenty of flame baits posted by trolls on this issue so the responses kinda have to be expected.

As far as your comment goes... about not getting the response on the pedal you think you should... that is very common with DbW.

Products Discussed in

To Top