1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Anybody have this happen.....

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Winger12003, Mar 22, 2012.

1. Mar 22, 2012 at 4:14 AM
    Winger12003

Winger12003 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Elizabeth City, NC
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD OFFROAD 4x4
    265/75/16 Duratracs, 1.25 Spidertrax, OEM rack, TRD catback, weathertechs, TRD bead Locks, 5100's all around with 1 inch rear block
    Ok so I got my new Duratracs 2 days ago and I am very happy with the look. So yesterday I am walking around the truck checking out my new tires and I noticed that the stock wheels have nicks everywhere the wheel weights that were installed from the factory were removed. They are not that bad, but you can see them when you get up close. Anybody else have this happen when the wheels were fitted with new tires? I know this might sound anal, but it is a brand new truck. Anybody found a touch-up paint for nicks on your stock wheels? I have the stock wheels that come with the TRD 4x4 Offroad package.

2. Mar 22, 2012 at 4:36 AM
    Warputer

Warputer Dirt Road Inspector

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Lake Murray, South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Off Road
    A little lift & some extra steel....
    Yeah....as a matter of fact, the Toyota dealer has put knicks on my wheels on the last 2 visits for an oil change / tire rotation. They could care less....just rushing to get people in & out as quick as possible.

3. Mar 22, 2012 at 4:48 AM
    jcayce

jcayce Well-Known Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Offroad 4x4
    It shouldn't be long before someone chimes in with "it's a truck."

Personally I would be upset. I hate the look of rims with wheel weights on the outside lip and would always have my rims rebalanced with the weights taped to the inside. When i lived up north, for some reason, this was always the place that the clearcoat would start peeling. I guess sand and salt worked its way behind the weight and just ground into the rim.

If they are careful, there should be little evidence of where the weights were, but there will still be some evidence. if they weren't careful they probably just used a screwdriver or pliers to break the weights off.

Did they rebalance your new tires with weights on the outside? If they did, definitely a moot point now.

4. Mar 22, 2012 at 7:03 AM
    PSJ

PSJ Prerunners Work

Member:
    Sebastian Inlet
    Vehicle:
    09 Access Cab Prerunner
    Rear Leaf spring TSB, Bilstein 5100's all around w/ front set at 1.75", 265/75R/16 Mickey Thompson Baja STZ's, Trailer hitch w/custom wiring, AFE drop in dry filter, Rear Diff breather mod, Debadged truck, customized stock TRD wheel center caps, added factory fog lights, bed mat, door sills, tinted windows
    Yes, the metal is soft and its a combo of them beating the weight in place, and carelessly removing them that seems to be the problem. As mentioned, I went to the inside weights and have had no issues with balance and no more damage. ;)

5. Mar 22, 2012 at 8:10 AM
    grivera

grivera Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hanover, MD
    Vehicle:
    '08 DC SR5 4x4, Desert Sand Mica
    Rear Suspension TSB, Bilstein 5100 on all 4 corners-fronts set at 1.75". BFG A/T's @ 265/75/16; Access LE Roll-up cover; Iron Cross Tube SS Steps; Fumoto valve; WeatherTech Liners; AFE Pro-Dry; front side windows tinted 20%; TW Decal!
    Yep- same thing happened to mine and it sucks to look at

6. Mar 22, 2012 at 8:43 AM
    Enzo

Enzo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Opie
    Bedford, Va
    Vehicle:
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    2012 FJ Cruiser Maggiolina Medium Grand Tour w/winter hood National Luna dual battery split charging system ABR Sidewinder Aux battery tray ARB 50qt Fridge w/Transit Bag Bajarack flat rack w/ladder Crawlarado flat black hood blackout TRD exhaust Trasharoo Outback FJ roof console
    I had new BFG KOs put on a few weeks ago and noticed a few more nicks when I washed my truck the other day. I just try not to pay to much attention and pretend its not there.

7. Mar 22, 2012 at 10:11 AM
    rpking

rpking Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Roger
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma 4x4 TRD off road
    painted engine cover, bed cover, color match door handles, window tint, seat covers, weather gaurd floor mats, TRD stainless steel cat back exhaust, front skid pan, bug deflector, custom holster mount in center console, OME 884X springs and shocks, 2" AAL, OME shocks
    When I had my new tires put on I had the tire shop use the ballast that they put inside the tire when mounting, its a powdery stuff kinda like sand, it works great and no crappy looking lead weights on the rim

8. Mar 22, 2012 at 10:36 AM
    Winger12003

Winger12003 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Elizabeth City, NC
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD OFFROAD 4x4
    265/75/16 Duratracs, 1.25 Spidertrax, OEM rack, TRD catback, weathertechs, TRD bead Locks, 5100's all around with 1 inch rear block
    Yeah I guess I was so excited to get my new tires I wasn't really thinking about the weights and to be honest I had no idea the old weights would leave marks like they did. I guess I will just have to live with it until I either decide on new wheels or find something to touch them up. It's not really noticable from a distance, but still it's there, and worst of all I know it.

9. Mar 22, 2012 at 10:40 AM
    mcdowell

mcdowell My name is Mudd

Member:
    First Name:
    mike
    mobile al
    Vehicle:
    2011 prerunner SR5
    2in Toytec leveling kit TSB 4 leafpack 130w KC driving lights Wsetin 3 tab lightbar Black headlights Trex eyelids TRD sport wheels Firestone MT Hood protector Vent visors Tube stepbars Colormatch grille
    My first rotation the dealer scratched mine up. Brought it back the next day and they called an outside company to repair them. Point is people are in the business of repairing them if the are too bad.

10. Mar 22, 2012 at 10:42 AM
    fletch aka

fletch aka www.BeLikeBrit.org

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Left Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Magnetic Gray TRD OffRoad
    TRD cat back exhaust, TRD Cold Air Intake, differential breather mod' Hellwig rear sway bar, 16x8 TRD Ivan Stewart's, Michelin LTX A/T2, DTRL Stealth Mode Mod, custom "Texas Edition" shift knob, Sock's "Classic" bedside decals, MetalMiller custom grill emblem, 20% front tinted windows, tinted taillights, Viper alarm, ScanGauge II, Flyzeye Designs V2W Tacoma Interior LED lighting, de-mud flapped, de-badged, extra D-rings under bed bolts, WeatherTech ED floor mats, G4 Elite Fold a Cover ,Toyota bed mat, tailgate theft deterrent device and absolutely no plasti-dip!
    I used a silver paint pen to touch up the wheels after I had new tires installed.

To Top