1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Anybody here had shoulder surgery?

Discussion in 'Health' started by OldManTacoFeels, Feb 25, 2021.

1. Feb 25, 2021 at 8:53 AM
    OldManTacoFeels

OldManTacoFeels [OP] The bells of tacos

Member:
    First Name:
    Billy Jr.
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCLB SR5
    Bilstein 5100s, AFE dry intake, Icon AAL pack, Bed stiffeners, and ideally some UCAs soon
    About to get my labrum tear fixed because I keep dislocating my shoulder. My joint is so bad that it popped out when I closed my trunk too hard once.

anyone here had the Bankart surgery? I’m about to get it and wonder what recovery was like for you and how it effected your active life

Trying to gather all the tips and tricks I can

thanks

2. Feb 25, 2021 at 8:56 AM
    Yukon DoIt

Yukon DoIt Opinionated Northerner

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Yukon, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2006 White Tacoma DCLB 4wd Auto, 1988 Blue 4Runner 4wd Manual
    Stock-y
    Good luck OldMan, hope you have a speedy and full recovery. I'd follow doctor's orders and there's probably stretches you can do at a certain stage of recovery to help keep it from losing too much mobility. Gotta be better than popping out all the time. Godspeed Billy.

OldManTacoFeels[OP] likes this.
  3. Feb 25, 2021 at 9:02 AM
    Toywoodsguy82

Toywoodsguy82 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2007 Silver DCSB TRDOR
    Body Armor front and rear bumpers Method 703 Wheels Falken wildpeak AT3’s Ironman Foam Cell Pro kit
    I have had shoulder surgery but not the one your talking about. Tore my rotator cuff and labrum

4. Feb 25, 2021 at 9:07 AM
    Gearheadesw

Gearheadesw must modify

Member:
    Davenport Fl
    Vehicle:
    1 truck 1 car 1 motorcycle
    Like 4 decades ago, I had to get my shoulder fixed for dislocation, it was a complete success, today’s surgery will be so much better, you’ll be fine.

5. Feb 25, 2021 at 9:09 AM
    SocalTaco15

SocalTaco15 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Glen
    Socal, Orange County
    I had some scar tissue removed from my rotator cuff as a kid. Complete success.

Follow the doctors orders and don’t skimp on the physical therapy no matter what.

PackCon likes this.
  6. Feb 25, 2021 at 9:16 AM
    avery0829

avery0829 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western Washington
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma DCLB Sport
    Bilstein 5100, Trail edition wheels, 265/70/17 Falkens
    I had a bankart repair back in 2009 when I was 18. The healing process was tough in the beginning, but doable.

My advice would be follow the doctors orders. Along with when you start exercising again to be very careful and use bands for various warmups. My shoulder is just as good as the other and slightly more stable during an overhead press.

Good luck and let time run its course!

7. Feb 25, 2021 at 9:24 AM
    TodayWasTHeDaY

TodayWasTHeDaY Hoser

Member:
    First Name:
    Russ
    Calgary
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB SC M/T TRD Sport
    This^

I popped my shoulder a ton and it always hurt when it got bad so while I was waitlisted for surgery (around a year) I worked out and exercised as much as possible without further injuring myself. My shoulder was feeling pretty good and strong by the time the surgery rolled around. I think my recovery was faster too but you definitely have to baby it and not rush during recovery.

Many years ago now but shoulder has held up and feels great.

Funniest dislocation I ever had was over a pool table doing a stretch shot.

8. Feb 25, 2021 at 9:48 AM
    mikkydee

mikkydee My Taco 2007 DCLB 4x4 Man Truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Doyle
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2007 Silver DCLB Tacoma, 4X4, 4.0 Liter, 6" lift, 20" rims, 34" tires
    6" lift, 20 " inch rims, 34" tires, billet grill, aftermarket fender flares, custom rear bumper, DVd player with backup camera, all LED lights
    I am looking at possible rotator cuff surgery myself. What was your recovery time for that?

9. Feb 25, 2021 at 10:19 AM
    Toywoodsguy82

Toywoodsguy82 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2007 Silver DCSB TRDOR
    Body Armor front and rear bumpers Method 703 Wheels Falken wildpeak AT3’s Ironman Foam Cell Pro kit
    Well I’m a decently healthy dude and I was lifting 65lbs doing snatch lifts at around 6-6.5 months.

one thing I try and tell people is make sure you get a Cyro cuff... it aids recovery and pain management right off the bat. Also listen to your dr.s and treat your PT like it’s a job. It’s important to do it and do it right. If you can and have a choice make sure you find a physical therapist that has extensive knowledge in shoulder recovery not just some random physical therapist

Blockhead and SWPA Tacoma like this.
  10. Feb 25, 2021 at 10:22 AM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Torspd Custom Turbo kit [] Borg Warner 9180EFR Turbo [] Haltech Elite 2500 [] TiAL Q BOV [] TiAL V44 Wastegate @ 15psi [] CP Pistons [] CP Carrillo Rods [] ARP Head studs [] ARP Main Studs [] ARP Header - Head Studs [] Ported Heads w/ 1mm oversized valves intake/exhaust [] Brian Crower Forged Stroker Crank [] Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block [] Kelford Camshafts [] Torspd 160* T-stat mod [] APR Large Fuel Rail [] Walbro 460 LPH E85 Fuel Pump [] FueLab FPR [] APR T56 Conversion Kit [] KP RACING Built T56 [] McLeod Racing Custom Twin Disk Clutch [] One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft [] MGW Shifter [] Custom lowering kit [] Ohlins Front Coilovers [] QA1rear shocks [] Custom Ron Davis Radiator [] Dual SPAL Electric Fans []
    If you can get a PRP at the end of the procedure, it will great help reduce post Op pain, inflammation, and improve healing time.

I have had that done a few times now.

shakerhood and ScootARoot like this.
  11. Feb 25, 2021 at 12:28 PM
    OldManTacoFeels

Member:
    First Name:
    Billy Jr.
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCLB SR5
    Bilstein 5100s, AFE dry intake, Icon AAL pack, Bed stiffeners, and ideally some UCAs soon
    Dude yes that is what I want To hear

12. Feb 25, 2021 at 12:29 PM
    OldManTacoFeels

Member:
    First Name:
    Billy Jr.
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCLB SR5
    I just woke up from surgery what’s prp?

13. Feb 25, 2021 at 1:55 PM
    gotoman1969

gotoman1969 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Antonio, TX United States
    Vehicle:
    2015 Silver Tacoma PreRunner
    3" ToyTec coilovers, JBA UCA's, Bilstein 5100's
    Right shoulder reconstruction here due to a detached labrum. Recovery will depend on severity of the tear ans what’s done to repair it. Biggest key to recovery is doing everything the doctor and therapist tell you to do. 90 % of the recovery is doing your exercises at home. Good luck.

Toywoodsguy82 likes this.
  14. Feb 25, 2021 at 4:33 PM
    wmgeorge

wmgeorge Well-Known Member

Member:
    I had shoulder surgery years ago, just take you time and follow doctors orders. Whatever do not have a shoulder replacement.... I know of a couple and they did not tell the poor guys that you have a forever 15 Lb lifting limit!! One had to retire early as he could not return to work.

15. Feb 25, 2021 at 5:42 PM
    clenkeit

clenkeit Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Lakewood, CA
    Vehicle:
    2010 White DCLB TRD Sport
    My suggestion is to DO IT ASAP and get your life back!

I had a really bad dislocation (medics thought my arm was broken) and never did any follow up or PT. I was ~25yo and thought I was invincible. Then I started to dislocate more and more and more until it was really affecting my life. I dislocated it while swimming a couple times (ocean/lake) which really sucked. I had to dog paddle to shore with one arm while the other, dislocated one, just floated there uselessly.

My issue was also a torn labrum but I don't remember the name of the procedure. Obviously there will be different severity of injuries, different docs...etc. But, in general this type of procedure I think has gotten to be pretty standard. Mine was done arthroscopicaly so I only have very minor scaring. Procedure was your standard outpaient situation. I took 1-2wks off work and then was on restricted work for weeks after that. This was 10yrs ago so I'm a big iffy on exactly how long it was. I couldn't be happier with the result, should have done it sooner. I haven't dislocated it a single time since the surgery. The only downside is that I have a little less range of motion now than before and it may just be in my head but I just don't trust it the same as before - it feels a little "different". But the problem was fixed for sure. No regrets at all.

My only suggestions would be:
    1. Make sure you get a good doctor. I was lucky and was able to get the same doc that does all the shoulders for the major sports teams in San Diego (Chargers & Padres).
    2. You're gonna get what you give. Be motivated. Be optimistic that it will be successful but realize it will take time and work. Don't get lazy. Don't get content. Do your physical therapy. Do it well, do extra credit...

16. Feb 25, 2021 at 11:31 PM
    SunsetDiesel

SunsetDiesel Well-Known Member

Member:
    Long recovery but well worth the outcome. Had mine done 3 years ago. Takes atleast s year to get back to normal.

17. Feb 26, 2021 at 12:30 AM
    Green Jeans

Green Jeans 6MT AC TRD OR 1GR-FE FTMFW

Member:
    Oregone
    Vehicle:
    '13 TRD Off-Road
    My saw partner tore his labrum in 2016 and is working as a lineman now. He never had surgery and is doing fine.

I’m shelving shoulder work on repairing a supraspinatus tear for as long as I can hold out.

18. Feb 26, 2021 at 7:04 AM
    Torspd

Torspd Tor-nication

Member:
    First Name:
    Tor
    The Great America!
    Vehicle:
    MMVI 4.4L 4x4 Access Cab
    Torspd Custom Turbo kit [] Borg Warner 9180EFR Turbo [] Haltech Elite 2500 [] TiAL Q BOV [] TiAL V44 Wastegate @ 15psi [] CP Pistons [] CP Carrillo Rods [] ARP Head studs [] ARP Main Studs [] ARP Header - Head Studs [] Ported Heads w/ 1mm oversized valves intake/exhaust [] Brian Crower Forged Stroker Crank [] Darton M.I.D. Sleeved Block [] Kelford Camshafts [] Torspd 160* T-stat mod [] APR Large Fuel Rail [] Walbro 460 LPH E85 Fuel Pump [] FueLab FPR [] APR T56 Conversion Kit [] KP RACING Built T56 [] McLeod Racing Custom Twin Disk Clutch [] One Piece Aluminum Driveshaft [] MGW Shifter [] Custom lowering kit [] Ohlins Front Coilovers [] QA1rear shocks [] Custom Ron Davis Radiator [] Dual SPAL Electric Fans []
    Platelet Rich Plasma injection. Concentrated platelets from your blood, injected into the local sight.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2021
  19. Feb 26, 2021 at 7:09 AM
    US Marine

US Marine Semper Fi

Member:
    First Name:
    Chuck
    Gallatin Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    02 Pre Runner supercharged 4cyl
    TRD supercharger , Doug Thorley header , K&N CAI 265/75-16 Toyo open country mud terrain , 15x8 Method Racing wheels , Rancho 3" lift , 4.88 gears , Detroit Locker
    Had two Slap repairs on my R/ shoulder to repair Labrum tears . First surgery was in 2005 the other was in 2007

20. Feb 26, 2021 at 7:16 AM
    TenBeers

TenBeers Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Bentonville, AR
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Pro Cavalry Blue
    CBI bed rack and sliders, Backwoods Adventure Mods front and rear bumpers, etc. And some stickers.
    I've dislocated mine a few times but so far have avoided surgery -- just warned that if it keeps happening, the only thing to fix it would be surgery.

Best advice I would give is just follow whatever recovery plan they give you and stay on top of your progress -- and if you don't feel comfortable with a care provider, don't feel bad about finding another one. The shoulder is supposedly the most complicated joint in the body, so taking care of the muscle and soft tissue around it is key for to work right.

Toywoodsguy82 likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top