1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Anybody know about check engine light

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by the great ty cobb, Nov 16, 2010.

1. Nov 16, 2010 at 7:14 AM
    the great ty cobb

the great ty cobb [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    arcadia ca
    Vehicle:
    1 owner : 2000 toyota ,2.4 L 289k miles
    K and N filter element
    After recently taking the wet dry wac to the air filter box on my

2000 toyota tacoma . 2.4 short bed /286 k. miles . I failed to reconnect the vacuum line and

it got closed into the air box . I fired it up and check engine light came on.

So i opened the hood right away and saw the line and reconnected it .

but : check engine light remains on . :confused:

I though this could also be a alternator or charging issue but since the truck is a 5speed I drove it to work and no problems yet :

wanted the opinions of the the World :

How do I proceed . ???

formula 1 fast.jpg

2. Nov 16, 2010 at 7:15 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    DC or New Jersey - Depends on the day....
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Pop the battery cable off for 5-10 mins and then connect everything back up and see what happens.

3. Nov 16, 2010 at 7:42 AM
    the great ty cobb

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    arcadia ca
    Vehicle:
    K and N filter element
    doing that now .

but also noticed that plug right in between fuse box and battery tray is

corroded .

4. Nov 16, 2010 at 7:45 AM
    davidpick

davidpick NWXPDTN

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Everett, WA
    Vehicle:
    2004 Xcab 4x4 TRD
    take it down to shucks/o'reilly's/napa/advanced auto and borrow their computer code reader. it'll pull the code and let you clear the light.

5. Nov 16, 2010 at 7:58 AM
    the great ty cobb

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    arcadia ca
    Vehicle:
    K and N filter element
    Thank fixed IT .

Thank you to forum :

And what's everyone's opinion on Steam cleaning for engine's

6. Nov 16, 2010 at 8:01 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Vehicle:
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    If your engine is dirty and you don't like it-Probably worth it. Simple Green and a brush with some water will work pretty well too

7. Nov 16, 2010 at 8:03 AM
    tacobox

tacobox Evasive Maneuvers PMKMS

Member:
    Do you know what the code was?
    You can steam clean the engine bay. There's no distributor to worry about. Just try to not spray sensors and the alt to much.

8. Nov 16, 2010 at 8:27 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Vehicle:
    BTW- That battery trick is only for thing you know where wrong. (I used Seafoam and got some misfires-I reset it that way...) If you don't know what caused it-Don't clear it and then go find out...Get it read right off the bat.

9. Nov 16, 2010 at 10:16 AM
    the great ty cobb

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    arcadia ca
    Vehicle:
    K and N filter element
    So in this instance . Was I corrected to clear it ?

or does the vacuum line being disconnected not cause a check engine light .

10. Nov 16, 2010 at 10:17 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Vehicle:
    Oh no...You made the right call. Finding a line disconnected is a pretty tell tale issue. If it comes back again in the next day or two I would get it read before trying to reset tho.

11. Nov 16, 2010 at 10:22 AM
    the great ty cobb

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    arcadia ca
    Vehicle:
    K and N filter element
    O:

and I've also used seafoam in the crankcase , I pour in some approx 500-1k miles before an oil change . I've heard this is a good idea .

Are you running it thru the intake . because i've heard that can damage stuff in the cat and sensor path

12. Nov 16, 2010 at 10:27 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Vehicle:
    I have in the past and did damage an already failing cat...It can be helpful for some cases I think...but thru the oil and gas tank will probably do more than enuf.

13. Nov 16, 2010 at 10:32 AM
    the great ty cobb

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    arcadia ca
    Vehicle:
    K and N filter element
    I was cautioned that it's only safe in the crankcase . for modern cat eq cars .

but I use it in the crank case and fuel tank { mostly to prevent gas and water issues's }}

in the 73 , porsche 914 .

To Top