1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Anybody know anything about Mattresses?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by kris77, Feb 8, 2012.

1. Feb 8, 2012 at 5:19 AM
    kris77

kris77 [OP] Born in the Backwoods

Member:
    West Virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 DC TRD Sport Speedway Blue
    In channel Vent Visors, AVS Bug Shield, Hankook Dynapro RF10 265/70/17
    I figured this forum was the best place to ask. You can information on anything on this site, from trucks, to spiders, to relationship advice, to building advice, music, whatever....lol...

This site is awesome.

I've been looking at mattresses for a few days now.

I have no idea what i'm looking for.

Any advice? Brand? Foam?

2. Feb 8, 2012 at 5:22 AM
    takern

takern Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tanner
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    03 TRD Offroad stepside
    Deckplate mod, sliders, uniden cb, toolbox, dakar leaf pack, in search of coilovers, 255/85 16 bfg m/t waiting to go on
    i would say one with few to none blood, piss, and fecal stains would be a good choice. Also be sure to flip it over and look for knife/bullet holes or any indication that a wild animal is living inside that. Other than that, i have no idea because im rockin a mattress older than me still

3. Feb 8, 2012 at 5:25 AM
    kris77

Member:
    West Virginia
    Vehicle:
    Good advice there. I have a 20 yr old hotel mattress now. My parents knew the owner of a new hotel going in a long time ago and had him order one extra mattress. So when i left for college, i took it with me, now im 8 yrs out of college and still have it. You can literally wash your clothes on it its so bumpy. My back kills me every morning.

4. Feb 8, 2012 at 5:29 AM
    07SpeedwaySport

07SpeedwaySport Senior MoFo'ing Member

Member:
    Fairfax, VA
    Vehicle:
    06 DCSB TRD OR--now silver
    tint.
    Get a Tempurpedic. I had a crappy $800 Costco one and started to sag and felt like crap after 3-4 years.

I upgraded to a king size temperpedic (the mid grade "lux" edition) and it was the best choice of my life. I would give up my truck before I gave up my mattress.
    It is pricey, but if I had to buy another, I would buy this one again no matter if the cost was double.

5. Feb 8, 2012 at 5:29 AM
    Geo Taco

Geo Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Lafayette, CO
    Vehicle:
    2012 Subie Impreza
    Black Softopper
    It all depends on what you want. I've got a Tempur Pedic and will never buy a different bed, but they are pricey. I've got the middle firmness mattress in king size and it was somewhere around $3,000.

The other bed I've got is just a very simple Simmons pocketed coil firm mattress with a 2" memory foam slip on top from Kohl's. This set up ran me total ~$400-500 for a queen size.

6. Feb 8, 2012 at 5:35 AM
    river rat 69

river rat 69 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Orlando, Fla., Green side of the grass
    Vehicle:
    007, trd, sr5, fmf.
    NO Chrome,3" NFab's steps,TRD skid,Wet okie's.011 grill, k&n,5100's,All this comes right off when the old lady says let's go get a NEW ONE!!!
    Serta perfect sleeper pillow top (Nolina) was on sale 399 in Nov. Best sleep Ive had in years.. Jim

7. Feb 8, 2012 at 5:36 AM
    elmo7

elmo7 Easily Replaceable Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    07 DC TRD OR 4x4
    I have a Simmons with that memory foam crap on top. I dig the coils, but hate that foam. It's got memory all right - memory that I slept there, so it stays depressed. I'd buy the coils again; comfy and wife and I don't disturb each other when moving. I will never sign on for the memory foam again.

8. Feb 8, 2012 at 5:39 AM
    theredofshaw

theredofshaw Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Somewhere on the East coast
    Vehicle:
    not a taco (guess that means I can be a MOD now)
    (totaled) 2011 Tacoma DC
    went through 3 mattresses over the first 2 years of our marriage due to the mattress sagging in the middle and springs poking through the cloth....splurged on a tempur-pedic and been sleeping great ever since...ours was the tempur-pedic cloud and it ran mid 2000 range for a queen

9. Feb 8, 2012 at 5:55 AM
    river rat 69

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Vehicle:
    007, trd, sr5, fmf.
    NO Chrome,3" NFab's steps,TRD skid,Wet okie's.011 grill, k&n,5100's,All this comes right off when the old lady says let's go get a NEW ONE!!!
    OP,,, If you buy also get new frame and waterproof cover at cost before they start the paper work they have wiggle room on this stuff.. We got new frame for 30$ and large waterproof cover (For when the kids stay over) for 50$ they list for 80$ save what you can but you must ask. Just let them know that will close the deal for you!!! Jim

10. Feb 8, 2012 at 6:01 AM
    theredofshaw

theredofshaw Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Somewhere on the East coast
    Vehicle:
    not a taco (guess that means I can be a MOD now)
    (totaled) 2011 Tacoma DC
    definitely...tempurpedics are warrantied for like 20 years, but some things are not covered unless the mattress is protected. if you spill something on it and it is absorbed into the mattress and starts to smell, then you are S.O.L. unless you can prove you were using a mattress protector of sorts. the one we bought, they threw in for $30 rather than the $75 it was priced and you cant even tell it is on the bed and it is completely waterproof.

11. Feb 8, 2012 at 6:02 AM
    robstaco35

robstaco35 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Cape Cod
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma SR5
    Go to store and lay down on them, see what you like in your price range. Most places have a money back grantee if you don't like the mattress after a couple nights of sleeping on it.

12. Feb 8, 2012 at 6:10 AM
    maser

maser Hello, my name is Maser... and I'm an alcoholic

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Fort Worth, TX
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner Dbl Cab
    fog light mod,DTRL mod,alternating turn signal mod, BHLM, pioneer pt 3200dvd, fosgate speakers all 4 doors,AFE CAI, Magnaflow turndown exhaust, satoshi'd grill, Procomp 6 in lift, 2 Diamond audio 10's w/ 600w amp..........

cuz we sleep. ALOT. But first, a :sandwich:.

J/K... IMO, a good bed is worth the $$. One of your household investments that you'll get instant returns. Any of the above mentioned brands are of good quality.

13. Feb 8, 2012 at 6:38 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    We went through that many years ago and its tough.

We'd been sleeping in a full-wave waterbed for about 10 years and wanted to get a regular bed. Loved that full wave waterbed..... it was just old and we wanted to try a regular bed.

The best thing you can do, is go to a variety of different stores and lay on the beds.

We looked at a Select Comfort bed...but there are baffles (hard thing) in the center of those things. Prevents cuddling and really limits the amount of room you have to stretch (without hitting a baffle). Didn't like it....

We settled on a king size Simmons Beautyrest. It has a deep pocket mattress with a thick (foam) pillowtop. It's been really nice - just doesn't compare to the full wave waterbed. That waterbed was heaven..... The only issue I have with this bed, is the 20+" deep pocket mattress. Getting sheets for these things is somewhat hard to come across. You almost always gotta order them online and its $$.

14. Feb 8, 2012 at 6:45 AM
    A_Ninja_Racer

A_Ninja_Racer Well-Known Member

Member:
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner TRD Debadged

Not to Hijack this thread or anything but it seems a lot of you are rockingthe memory foam Tempurpeadic stuff here and I just have to ask. I have heard arumor that the people that buy these Mattresses and don't like them typicallycomplain that whatever part of the body is in constant contact with themattress usually gets very hot to the point they start to sweat so if youlaying on your back then typically your back would get hot and swetty. So myquestion then becomes have any of you guys ran into this issue or is itpossibly a mattress quality issue where a cheap mattress might cause this but amid to high grade mattress might not experience this. I know I'm always lookingfor the cold side of the pillow and I would hate to think I could spend thatkind of money on a mattress only to find out I’m going to wake up all hot andswetty every night. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

15. Feb 8, 2012 at 6:53 AM
    dYL0n

dYL0n أنا لست الإسلامي

Member:
    First Name:
    Dyl0n
    New Orleans, LA
    Vehicle:
    17TRDORDCSBQSJBLKBRO2SPECU1.04
    1.04. Kbro2s. ICONS.
    You spend more time a year in your bed than in your truck. Get a good one and be happy with it. That memory foam stuff is awesome.

16. Feb 8, 2012 at 7:03 AM
    kris77

Member:
    West Virginia
    Vehicle:

They actually have the memory foam infused with some kind of blue looking gel now that prevents that. It was kinda cool when we laid on it. Stayed cool. But with sheets on it, you probably couldn't tell anything.

17. Feb 8, 2012 at 7:07 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    I have noticed this 'hot' sensation with our foam pillowtop. Doesn't happen very often and I only notice it when I wake up in the middle of the night. I'm a cold person and can't sleep unless I'm ultra warmed up - so sweating is kinda normal for me (Husband hates it).

On the other hand - my husband never notices this 'hot' sensation and the man never sweats.....

The other thing I notice about the foam - is although it does conform to your body nicely..... the foam doesn't 'bounce back' quickly enough. When you turn over in the middle of the night....it takes some time before the foam conforms to your new position. You'll notice 'dips & sags' from the old position.

Just some of my own experiences.... (our bed is probably 5+ years old so it doesn't have this blue gel in it)

18. Feb 8, 2012 at 7:11 AM
    Rusty 06 4x4

Rusty 06 4x4 NBHNC

Member:
    First Name:
    Rusty
    West Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2006 4x4 Tacoma TRD DCSB
    I got the tempurpedic paid for by the insurance a few years back because of my back problems

19. Feb 8, 2012 at 7:14 AM
    river rat 69

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Vehicle:
    007, trd, sr5, fmf.
    Did not like the memory foam for that hot feeling,, The pillow top is soft and will not get hot.. Some good post in here on beds.. The best said is try lots of them we are all not going to like the soft one or a hard one what it comes down to is what feels good to you. Makes for a good day to get out of bed and not hurt somewhere :D .... Jim

20. Feb 8, 2012 at 7:23 AM
    Rusty 06 4x4

Rusty 06 4x4 NBHNC

Member:
    First Name:
    Rusty
    West Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2006 4x4 Tacoma TRD DCSB
    maybe they sweat easily I have never had that problem

Products Discussed in

To Top