1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Anybody regret buying a manual transmission?

Discussion in 'General Automotive' started by L33T35T Tacoma, Apr 21, 2013.

1. Jul 6, 2013 at 7:55 AM
    WPDAWG11

WPDAWG11 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Murfreesboro
    Vehicle:
    2005 4x4 5spd 4cyl
    Need suggestions
    lol wow, wasnt asking for all that. I very much kidding if I had gotten a V6 I most def would have gotten an auto.

2. Jul 6, 2013 at 7:57 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
  3. Jul 6, 2013 at 8:19 AM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    STOP PM'ING ME

4. Jul 6, 2013 at 12:39 PM
    Konaborne

Konaborne Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Kealakekua, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    Lifted 00 TRD Off-Road
    fox extended travel remote resivoir coilovers, 14" eibach 600lb coils, All Pro tubular chromoly 1" uniball upper control arms, All Pro expedition leaf packs, 10" bilstein 5150 piggyback reservoir shocks 265/75r16 Goodyear wrangler MT/R kevlars wrapped around 16" Helo 791 gloss black, Mini H1 retrofits with 6000k bulbs, 18" magnaflow w/custom exhaust reroute various decals, Sockmonkey retro hood stripes
    Haha

5. Jul 7, 2013 at 9:52 AM
    DJB1

DJB1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    SLC, UT
    Vehicle:
    2003 Regular Cab 4X4 5MT

Your facts are just plain incorrect. Even if the worst-case scenario happened and you needed a replacement manual trans, throwout bearing and clutch, that would still be cheaper than a replacement automatic. Plus manual-equipped vehicles cost less to begin with.

A .73 is not a lower overdrive ratio than a .85, it is higher. The higher the gear, the lower the numeral. All automatics, even with lockup torque converters, have more slippage than manuals and steal more engine power because they also have to drive a hydraulic pump. Even automatics with lockup torque converters and oil coolers operate at hotter temperatures than manuals. That by itself shows that automatics convert more of the engine's energy into waste heat than manuals.

A manual is always smaller, weighs less and requires less fluid than an automatic for the same vehicle. No matter the drivetrain, there is power loss between the engine and the drive wheels, you just lose less of that power with a manual.

You can have the last word on the internet if you want. I am a total manual transmission snob but I'd choose an automatic Tacoma over a Mopar or Hyundai.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2013
  6. Jul 8, 2013 at 12:38 PM
    otenba

otenba Member

Member:
    honolulu
    Vehicle:
    '10 trd off-road
    borla exhaust, trd exhaust tip, k&n intake, minor stuffs
    i guess (having had both), it all comes down to personal preference (insert "duh" here).

my first taco was an auto - which was fine for me at the time.

but then, i started daily driving some MT cars, and eventually had an AT car again. after a couple months, my left foot started getting itchy (not literally) and my right hand got bored.

thus began my quest to own another MT vehicle. it wasn't about buying a taco this time around... rather it was about finding a MT that i wanted. i'm really picky, and i didn't want any euros or nissans (which eliminates infiniti as well) and i didn't want something boring like a civic (no offense, if anyone has one). the selection came down to CTS-V or tacoma. guess which one was in my budget.

basically i got my MT taco because the MT was available, not so much 'i want a taco what kind should i get'

so i guess if considering whether to get a AT or MT tacoma, it's best to consider - if it were any other car, which would you choose? i think that's the best way to minimize any regret.... in my experience, most people i know who switch from MT to AT always come back. i'm one of them too. just my 2 cents. :)

7. Jul 10, 2013 at 8:22 AM
    rbishopp

rbishopp Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Webster, NY
    Vehicle:
    2009 4WD Reg cab Taco. Keepin it simple.
    So far I've added an Advance folding bed cover and since removed it. Gave it to my son in Maine, he has an 05 2wd. GT perfect fit seat covers. Weathertech floor mats and window vent visors. Waag center brush/grill guard. Hose clamp tailgate mod. Turned off the seat belt chime. Added Ultra-Gauge. Trailer hitch. Softopper. Replaced sun visors with slide out style. Toyota bed extender. Had Firestone Destinations and now Michelin LTX AT2 in stock size. More mods to come; Fog lights, locking storage in bed, intermittent wipers. Now looking for Radio/HU upgrade. and maybe a lift way down the road.
    I learned to drive on an auto then bought a mt and had my mom drive it home since I couldn't. I learned fast. 4 speed 4 banger mustang went every where it shouldn't. I think having the mt helped me push the limits on that car.
    Been driving mt since and no regrets. Just like to have something to do besides look out window.

;)

8. Jul 10, 2013 at 8:55 AM
    STiLL WILL

STiLL WILL MY NAME ISN'T WILL

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt [again, not WILL]
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tundra TRD Sport 4wd
    Yes, I sold my '13 Taco. :'(
    I've only owned manual Toyota pickups all my life... 5-speed '94 Toyota pickup(22RE), 5-speed '95.5 Tacoma(3.4 v6), and my newest 6-speed '13 TXPro. It's just my personal preference......and aftermarket exhausts sound nicer on manuals. :p (completely subjective of course)

No regrets here. Hell, I even lived in the streets of San Francisco with my '94 pickup for 3 years and never once felt the need for an auto. My daily commute at that time involved multiple uphill stop lights.

I will say this......

The 2nd gen 6-speed can't hold a candle to the 1st gen's 5-speed manual. Period. I miss my 5-speed Tacoma in that respect.

While it's definitely a combination of things that lead me to come to that conclusion, I really am disappointed with the 6-speed having owned 2 previous generations of Toyota truck manuals. The throws are way too long(I will see if the TRD short shifter will change my mind on this), the tranny feels toothy/catchy in between shifts(changed to Redline MT-90 2nd day of owning my '13 which really helped a lot), and the clutch pedal engagement is higher than I would like. Couple this with a drive by wire throttle, and the whole drivetrain feels disconnected. The 2nd gen with the 6-speed has lost that true mechanical feel in its drivetrain I'm accustomed to with Toyota pickups. With the 1st gen Taco, I can just grip and rip through the gears with wrist and feet in full harmony. With my '13 Taco, I feel like I'm doing the whole 'rub your belly, tap your head' but with my right hand and feet just to be smooth at moderate around-the-town speeds lol.

But whatcha gonna do? Gotta live with it! No regrets still----and the pros still outweigh the cons for me. Now that I've added a TRD s/c to my '13, I think I'll be rant-less about the 6-speed for a little while. :D

9. Jul 10, 2013 at 9:13 AM
    YOTA LOVER

YOTA LOVER Stay Calm, and Fire For Effect

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    NH
    Vehicle:
    2011 MGM Tacoma DCLB SR5
    A slew of pricey stuff my wife hates me for.
    Having a stick in my old 2.7L 95 Taco was awesome! Especially when it came time to add on some power, upgrade the clutch and flywheel, etc. The standard cab was a tiny little thing and slamming around town or through the woods with a manual was an absolute blast.

Now enter my land-yacht of truck. I'm happy to have an automatic in it. I have my reservations about longevity of the trans, and what it may or may not cost to repair down the road, but for now I'm enjoying the simplicity of putting it into 'D' and going.

10. Jul 10, 2013 at 9:16 AM
    Dragons Taco

Dragons Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Cary/Raleigh NC
    Vehicle:
    06 Black TRD-S 4WD 4D 6SPD and MINE!
    Can ya spell Tonneau
    Nope love my 6spd. Very happy I found it after a long time searching.

11. Jul 10, 2013 at 9:55 AM
    kryten

kryten Well-Known Member

Member:
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Sport DCSB 6MT 4x4
    1" lift from 3rd gen suspension, 265/75/16 ATs
    Slightly off topic.

With the trend of disappearing manual transmissions in vehicles in general these days, do you think 3rd gen Tacoma will still have a manual transmission option in a double cab and or V6? I'm sure they would keep it for the 4 cylinder for now, but not so sure about the V6 and DC. Thoughts?

12. Jul 10, 2013 at 11:52 AM
    TeamSarcasm

TeamSarcasm Flawless Escalation to the Ludicrous

Member:
    The better coast
    They know people actually off road with them, I doubt they'd get rid of it. at least they'd probably do a special order if not offer it as a regular option.

13. Jul 10, 2013 at 12:04 PM
    mercurymullet

mercurymullet Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    gary
    el cajon/lakeside
    Vehicle:
    can't afford a toyota
    bronco frame under a mountaineer
    I flew from San Diego to New Mexico to buy my F350 6spd. My offroad truck is an auto and I'm 50/50 on it, but it was built as a trailer queen. If it was my DD it would be a stick.

14. Jul 10, 2013 at 12:17 PM
    FTD

FTD Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bought my first Taco last month. Barebones regular cab, stick. Liking it, even in heavy San Diego commute traffic.

Previous trucks were a 1974 Datsun (I'd go to war with that truck, it was awesome) and a 1996 Nissan. The Taco is very much like the Nissan, but much nicer on the creature comforts. Thought very seriously about the auto, but there's just something traditional about having that shifter in a pickup, you know?

15. Jul 10, 2013 at 4:21 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    My statements are not incorrect. However, It seems you don't quite understand what I might have written. Re read it again, and the parts of your quotes, then provide an argument. When I said the OD ratio was lower, I was speaking numerically, and gave the ratio's as an example. A lock up torque converter is just what it says. It locks up, thus creating a solid (no slippage) connection between the engine, and trans. many newer auto's are getting the same, if not better MPG than similar vehicle with a manual.

16. Jul 10, 2013 at 10:41 PM
    byrd

byrd Unknown

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Kansas
    Vehicle:
    '06 Access SR5 4x4 6 speed
    No regrets whatsoever with my 6 speed. Feels good to be shifting on a daily basis again. 1st truck I looked at after Toyota took and bought my PreRunner back due to frame rust last Dec. Test drove it, bought it that day.

Prior 2 Toyota trucks I owned were auto's.
    Haven't driven a stick on a daily basis since parking my '70 Chevelle SS in '94 and buying my 1st Toyota truck.

Chevelle gets horrible gas mileage and wanting to keep the low miles it has (66k) it only gets driven once in a blue moon. Owned it since '79. I've got the best of both worlds.....a hot rod and a 4x4 both manual! :burnrubber:

17. Jul 10, 2013 at 11:15 PM
    Artruck

Artruck Well-Known Member

Member:
    Lawrence, KS
    Vehicle:
    '09 Super Basic
    I love my 5 speed. Works great and the gearing is perfect. That said, I live in a world of few traffic jams. I can understand how nice an auto is in traffic, the bus I drive is an auto and the idea of shifting all day in traffic would get tiresome...

18. Jul 11, 2013 at 5:38 AM
    guitarjamman

guitarjamman Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    Northeast
    Vehicle:
    2019 Ram 2500
    Gotta teach the wife to drive stick rather soon - nothing worse than taking my truck for a night of drinking and having to cap it early because she can't get me home.

19. Jul 11, 2013 at 6:40 AM
    YOTA LOVER

YOTA LOVER Stay Calm, and Fire For Effect

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    NH
    Vehicle:
    2011 MGM Tacoma DCLB SR5
    A slew of pricey stuff my wife hates me for.
    Don't use your truck. I taught one female to drive a stick and the clutch was never the same again.

20. Jul 11, 2013 at 11:26 AM
    otenba

otenba Member

Member:
    honolulu
    Vehicle:
    '10 trd off-road
    borla exhaust, trd exhaust tip, k&n intake, minor stuffs
    i remember being on a school bus when i was in high school and noticed it was a manual trans. we were going over a very hilly part of the freeway and i remember thinking instantly that our bus driver was a BAMF.

Products Discussed in

To Top