1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Anybody ride Motocross???

Discussion in 'Southern California' started by Yoytoda, Mar 16, 2010.

1. Mar 16, 2010 at 8:44 AM
    Yoytoda

Yoytoda [OP] The Little Truck That Could

Member:
    First Name:
    Roland
    Big Bear,CA / Upstate NY(Saratoga)
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Regular Cab 4x4
    completely stock
    This probably belongs in off topic but its also related to socal...

As alot of you guys know im from Upstate NY. Ive been intrigued with motocross since a little kid, growning up with mcgrath as my idol. Although ive ridden street and dirtbikes my whole life, ive never ridden motocross or even been to a track. Now that im in socal im surrounded by the lifestyle and tracks everywhere. What im wondering is if anyone can give me any tips or advice for my first time. I have an RMZ-450 and i live 10minutes from milestone mx. Their vet track seems to be plenty mild for a first time rider. But, i know its scary to lineup for the first jump...

Maybe someone wants to go with me??? If you could help me out and show me the ropes a bit, i wouldnt mind paying for your day pass...

2. Mar 16, 2010 at 6:23 PM
    Dellosa89

Dellosa89 Love peace and Taco Grease

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Murrieta CA
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner TRD Off Road
    Fox 2.5 Coilovers, Camburg 1.25" UCA's, Icon RR, Icon aal,EVS foam bump stops, Borla Catback, HID Headlights and fogs, Defiant light bar, 3 hella 700 hid, Satellite Radio, Sony hu with 10'' sub, custom jetski rack, TRD seat covers, secondary air filter removed.
    I have never been to milestone. But i herd that is the Mecca of motocross tracks in SoCal. As far as tips just ride in your limits, its sometimes hard to learn the whole track at once so when i go to a new track i will do one section at a time, until i get familiar with it. also if you roll over a jump just ride it straight and to one side because if someone faster than you wants to pass they wont hit you. If you ever ride any tracks more my way just message me, ex. Starwest(not a beginner track), Elsinore, Paris or Pala.

3. Mar 16, 2010 at 6:44 PM
    RockyTacoma

RockyTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dojo
    colorado
    Vehicle:
    2002 tacoma trd
    stock
    im planning on buying one... crf450 or yz450f...one reason why i bought tacoma in the first place.

4. Mar 16, 2010 at 6:48 PM
    Farmboyfab

Farmboyfab Its cheaper to do it right, than do it over. Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    Fort Myers
    Vehicle:
    '97 F150, 1-ton, 54" Claws, 12V Cummins
    Just ride man. You know your bike...you know your capabilities, and you know the crowd is inviting.

I grew up on a farm, only riding on our field paths and such with my dad and a few friends. I entered my first sanctioned race around 16yrs or so just for fun when I went to watch someone else ride and I took third. I didnt win, but still an awesome experience just doing what I could...and honestly surprised the hell out of me what I could accomplish when pressured.

5. Mar 16, 2010 at 6:51 PM
    BakoTruck

BakoTruck Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    Bakersfield, CA
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner TRD
    I rode motocross a lot in junior high and the past 4 years, but not for some time now. I would recommend going out to a riding area, and usually there will be some small jumps of some kind. I would recommend working yourself up to bigger and bigger jumps.
    Definitely make sure the jumps can be rolled over if needed, and that most of them are table tops.

I understand in California it's harder and harder to find wide open places to ride, so you may have to start off on the motocross track with It's jumps.
    If you need some tips I would highly recommend getting some of Gary Semics training dvd's for motocross. I have a couple of those, and they work great. Would highly recommend Motocross technique series Vol 1 DVD 1, It's old but it did wonders for me.Gary was McGrath's exclusive trainer when he was racing, and has trained many other racers such as, Ryan Villopoto, and maybe Ricky Carmichael. But I'm not 100% on that, but many other racers. Here is a link.

http://www.gsmxs.com/dvd.htm#video5

6. Mar 16, 2010 at 6:54 PM
    Trigger

Trigger Well-Known Member

Member:
    Go with the Honda! Is this ganna be your first bike? If so I would go with a crf250r instead of a 450. just my opinion. Good luck with what ever you decide.:D

7. Mar 16, 2010 at 8:04 PM
    jdkeller

jdkeller How many words can be fit in this s

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Inland Empire, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma Prerunner TRD Offroad
    Dome light LED, 6000k HID Headlights and fogs, Grillcraft black mesh, rear 5100's, Total Chaos UCA's, 285/75/16 BFG KM2's, Spidertrax spacers, Blacked out emblems, cb,kenwood tm270 ham radio, All Pro 3" leaf pack, Fox 2.0 coilovers, Revenge Fab Sliders, u bolt flip kit, Pioneer avh4200, bed bar with light and antenna, Wet Okoles, Weathertech Mats, Wet Okole Armrests, Rear KR Fab bumper, bed mat, N-Fab spare tire carrier with full size spare on 16" TRD rim, Bedlinered flares and grille. Camburg Spindles, All Pro front fenders.
    Hey Roland.

I have been riding for a while. I recently sold me cr250. Right now I have a yz426f that im borrowing from my uncle since he has 2 bikes.

I used to hit up Milestone a lot. The vet track is super fun. I was hitting all of those jumps like cake. The main track is pretty hard though.

I might be able to go with you. My stupid membership expired though.

8. Mar 16, 2010 at 8:04 PM
    jdkeller

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Inland Empire, Ca
    Vehicle:
    Dome light LED, 6000k HID Headlights and fogs, Grillcraft black mesh, rear 5100's, Total Chaos UCA's, 285/75/16 BFG KM2's, Spidertrax spacers, Blacked out emblems, cb,kenwood tm270 ham radio, All Pro 3" leaf pack, Fox 2.0 coilovers, Revenge Fab Sliders, u bolt flip kit, Pioneer avh4200, bed bar with light and antenna, Wet Okoles, Weathertech Mats, Wet Okole Armrests, Rear KR Fab bumper, bed mat, N-Fab spare tire carrier with full size spare on 16" TRD rim, Bedlinered flares and grille. Camburg Spindles, All Pro front fenders.
  9. Mar 16, 2010 at 8:46 PM
    Yoytoda

Member:
    First Name:
    Roland
    Vehicle:
    completely stock
    Im a man of research before i get into anything... I actually do have some gary semics videos. I have tons of experience with bikes, ive been riding since i was three but never jumped. Actually i cased a DRZ400 when i was younger on a 40' double (first jump ever) and i think thats where most of my fear comes from. (Thought because my buddy made it on a yz250f i could make it...ha, wrong) Im more or less just looking for someone to go with to show me the ropes. Ive gone to milestone to watch a few times to get familiar with the track. Like i said ive never jumped but im not looking for someone to teach me to ride. Ive also stunted my cbr and gsxr for several years. Im not afraid of 100+mph wheelies but jumps sketch me out...go figure.

10. Mar 16, 2010 at 8:50 PM
    ktmrider

ktmrider Senior Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 DCLB 4x4 Sport S/C
    Junk
    you socal kids and your fun

11. Mar 16, 2010 at 8:58 PM
    Yoytoda

Member:
    First Name:
    Roland
    Vehicle:
    completely stock
    Let me know if and when you want to go...

I went to milestone today to watch, i feel like an idiot watching but i figure i can watch people screw up and not do what they do...

I have a pretty good idea on technique and theory (nose to high-hit brakes if leaning forward doesnt work, nose to low-panic rev if leaning back doesnt work, body position neutral) i just have to go do it. last time i jumped i jumped a total of three times. very first jump i freaked at the last second and let go of the gas and almost went over the handlebars. second time i went pretty big stayed on the gas and landed nice and smooth. Then i tried my first double and cased it so hard i almost broke my ankles...well it felt like it. havent jumped since then. 5 years ago... lol

12. Mar 16, 2010 at 9:03 PM
    Yoytoda

Member:
    First Name:
    Roland
    Vehicle:
    completely stock
    looks like you have fun yourself up there in northern cali. What kind of KTM you have? Ive got a KTM 400 EXC i used to ride enduro races in upstate ny.

13. Mar 16, 2010 at 9:08 PM
    jdkeller

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Inland Empire, Ca
    Vehicle:
    I will let you know. Dont forget to hug the bike a tad with your legs when jumping. Ankles, calves, whatever works for you. First time I tried a baby jump my legs flew off and my sack got bucked by the seat.

14. Mar 16, 2010 at 9:15 PM
    Yoytoda

Member:
    First Name:
    Roland
    Vehicle:
    completely stock
    Yea, im prolly going to milestone tomorrow... to much talk, time for action. Thanks for the tip. My big fear is im going to tense and freeze mid air and screw myself up. Or im going to over think it and correct too much and screw myself up... wish me luck.

15. Mar 16, 2010 at 9:34 PM
    jdkeller

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Inland Empire, Ca
    Vehicle:
    Start off smaller. The track in the south east corner has some nice doubles if I remember. I think its the intermediate track.

16. Mar 16, 2010 at 9:35 PM
    ktmrider

ktmrider Senior Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 DCLB 4x4 Sport S/C
    Junk
    I have an 08 250f (xcf-w) theres some nice places around here, but im excited for the summer to tour some tracks and trails around cali

17. Mar 16, 2010 at 9:49 PM
    2_wheels

2_wheels Well-Known Member

Member:
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4 dbl cab
    08 YZ 450 here!
    Have fun and remember that if you have to think about what your doing on a bike while it's happening then you're riding over your head. be safe and just get comfortable riding a track before you go try and be a hero:D

08 YZ450 JON BURTNESS.jpg

18. Mar 16, 2010 at 10:18 PM
    jdkeller

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Inland Empire, Ca
    Vehicle:
    Comp edge is by Hesperia not Riverside.

And I think Glen Helen might be a little rough for him. Rocky and rutted out. And least last time I rode it a while back.

I think Milestone is the best for you to learn on. Plus is right next to you Roland.

19. Mar 16, 2010 at 10:32 PM
    Manwithoutaplan

Manwithoutaplan the full Monty

Member:
    ID
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Speedway Blue Trd 4x4
    -Nitro 4.56 gears - Arb Front and Rear lockers. -Rear Swing out bumper Curiosity of ( Dept .94) https://www.facebook.com/Dept94 -Tinted, -ProComp 6 inch lift with Icon Coil overs and Bilstein's 7100Resi -315/70/17 - 17x8 in Pro Comp Matte black rims 4.5 bs -East Coast Gear Supply Sliders -ALL Pro EXP LEaf pack -Camburg UCA's -CAB mount CHOP

Milestone MX Track is sick ...man just make sure you keep to a path instead of all over the place. Before you start jumping the jumps go over the track a couple times. THe cost is 25 bucks plus a 35 doller member ship. IF you dont mind driving you can also go to racetown up in Adelanto on the 395 they only charge 20 bucks. WHen you rolling out their?... the only thing is ride a quad so i cant help you out completely. But i have been there on saturdays and tuesdays.

20. Mar 16, 2010 at 10:42 PM
    Yoytoda

Member:
    First Name:
    Roland
    Vehicle:
    completely stock
    Rocky and rutted isnt scary,im used to rocky and rutted from ny...

air is scary lol

Products Discussed in

To Top