1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Anybody thinking about selling because of gas prices??

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by gegundez, Sep 23, 2008.

?

Would you sell your truck because of gas prices?

Poll closed Oct 23, 2008.
  1. Yes

2.3%
  2. No

97.7%
  1. Sep 26, 2008 at 6:58 PM
    mrtrd103

mrtrd103 Well-Known Member

Member:
    fall river MA
    Vehicle:
    05 double cab trd sport
    TRD model, westin bull bar, westin grille, factory step and roof rack, A.R.E bed cover, head and taillight cover, gibson muffler, 3 in trialmaster lift, 265 70 17 cooper stt tires, bug deflector, window visor, 2 head rest t.v, hitch step, Xploder sub and amp, led inside,
    never in my life will i let my taco go even if gas goes up to 5 dollar again i will never let my babey go

2. Sep 26, 2008 at 8:43 PM
    Okkine

Okkine Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    1998 Tacoma, V6, Manual Transmission, 4x4
    We're already paying the equivalent of $5.00/gallon here in Canada ($5.70 back in July) :eek: Didn't stop me from buying my Taco :D

3. Sep 26, 2008 at 11:59 PM
    bounrith

bounrith Well-Known Member

Member:
    Long Beach, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner
    Snug Lid F2
    I drive close to 20K miles / years and working 4 miles from home. With 20MPG for a V6...never even a thought but it does hurt at $75 every WEEK...now around $60.

4. Sep 27, 2008 at 9:54 AM
    WilsonTheDog

WilsonTheDog Kylie's dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Myrtle Beach SC
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner SR5 DC/SB V6
    Magnaflow 12576 muffler & chrome tip, Westin step bars, 27% tint, Pop N Lock, AFE ProdryS, bed mat, Husky liners, D-rings added, Access Literider tonneau, Pioneer 4-ways all around, GY Wrangler Duratracs 265/75/16, 5100's @ 1.75", 1.5" AAL
    ^Exactly. I bust my ass at work all week (and then some) so I'll drive what I want. Trading your truck in for something "economical" will only result in you hating what you're driving when gas prices go down, which they will and have.

5. Sep 27, 2008 at 10:52 AM
    camsbored

camsbored Well-Known Member

Member:
    Raleigh, NC
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner DC/Sport/LB
    Kenwood DNX8120, Homelink mirror, Valentine One hardwire
    Ha! If I ever sell the Taco it will be because I wanted something else that was faster and from Germany... which would take premium, require new tires every 8-12k, and get worse mpg... And even then, I'd like to keep both. :)

6. Sep 27, 2008 at 12:46 PM
    pmo

pmo Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tacoma 4x4, DC, 6 Speed Manual.
    NO. NO. NO!!!! Not for anything. I don't get it tho', you guys in the USA are bitchin' about gas at whatever price you pay for it. I am currently paying $1.22/ liter or $5.54 / gal CDN, do the excahnge thing and downsize the CDN gal to US gal and your gas price is STILL a bargain!!
    Also, these are trucks with 4 or 6 cyl, 4x4 etc. When we buy them we know what we are buying....right???? If you want to be cooped in a smartcar or whatever thats your choice. You can't have your cake and eat it!! Nuff said!:confused:

7. Sep 27, 2008 at 12:58 PM
    bambooshoots

bambooshoots Be a fountain, not a drain.

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    College Station, TX
    Vehicle:
    2015 Honda Accord Sport
    I did it again. Got tired of paying truck payments and gas and traded in for a 2015 Honda Accord Sport since I enjoyed my 2013 Sport so much.
    Although I would probably get rid of a gas Tacoma for a diesel one...

But I'm sure 90% of Tacoma owners here would also.

8. Sep 27, 2008 at 1:06 PM
    Khaos

Khaos Big Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryant
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC TRD SPORT Prerunner
    3” spacer lift, 285/75/17 KO2, Spidertrax 1.25” spacers
    If I was selling my truck for something other than a truck, it would be something economical and quick, like the SI I posted earlier.

Would I let gas alone tell me what to drive? Hell no. Unless it goes to over $6 a gallon or something insane and stays there, but what its doing right now, hell no.

9. Sep 27, 2008 at 1:08 PM
    Okkine

Okkine Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    Don't forget though, when we were paying a buck a liter, they would have been paying around $0.60/liter (converted to Canuck Bucks)... so for them, this is still expensive.

10. Sep 27, 2008 at 1:13 PM
    PhoenixCadet

PhoenixCadet Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    11 Reg Cab 2.7L 4x4
    If I did that calculation right, that's only $2.27 a gallon (US)!

Crazy!

11. Sep 27, 2008 at 2:35 PM
    WilsonTheDog

WilsonTheDog Kylie's dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Myrtle Beach SC
    Vehicle:
    Magnaflow 12576 muffler & chrome tip, Westin step bars, 27% tint, Pop N Lock, AFE ProdryS, bed mat, Husky liners, D-rings added, Access Literider tonneau, Pioneer 4-ways all around, GY Wrangler Duratracs 265/75/16, 5100's @ 1.75", 1.5" AAL
    Right, but I'm talking strictly about someone who likes trucks. Well, anyone for that matter who trades solely for the purpose of economy. To that person, their vehicle is nothing more than an appliance, a washing machine if you will. Most of us are on this enthusiasts site because we actually enjoy our vehicles and are happy to own them for more than just saving a couple bucks each fill up.

Now, someones taste may change, like when I bought my '05 Altima 3.5SE. I decided I wanted something quick and fun to drive but still practical. I ended up wishing I had a truck so I traded it in with 29,000 miles on it for the Tacoma. Don't regret it at all.

12. Sep 28, 2008 at 11:00 AM
    bounrith

Member:
    Long Beach, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner
    Snug Lid F2
    Some of us want a Taco for YEARS before we are able to buy one, so to actually have one and loving it, some even more than our wives, I don't think a dollar or two more per gallon is going to do it.

I still longing for a 1st gen in my garage, when I have a garage...an apartment driveway is no place to own two trucks.

13. Sep 28, 2008 at 11:42 AM
    WilsonTheDog

WilsonTheDog Kylie's dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Myrtle Beach SC
    Vehicle:
    ^Well, that's very true. I've wanted one since about 1988 when a high school buddy had an 85 ext cab, lifted, roll bars, mud tires, and just about everything else you can think of. Awesome truck and I'd buy one even now if I could find one in good shape.

14. Sep 28, 2008 at 2:32 PM
    pmo

pmo Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tacoma 4x4, DC, 6 Speed Manual.
    Check todays excahange rates, $1.00 US converts to about 1.03CDN., the $$$ are almost par. My problem is folks in Georgia can't get gas, and we here in Nova Scotia have all kinds....our Gov tells us its imported from the US!! Go figger that one out. When the hurricane hit Texas our gas shot to $1.39/ litre, because of all the shutdowns of Rigs etc.
    The oil companiies are gouging the shit out of us!!

15. Sep 28, 2008 at 5:23 PM
    WilsonTheDog

WilsonTheDog Kylie's dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Myrtle Beach SC
    Vehicle:
    ^Again, the oil companies have nothing to do with it. You explained it as related to the hurricane shutdowns, which is correct, and then you go off on a tangent and blame the oil companies. That's just simply not true.

There were some isolated incidences of gouging, definitely, but that wasn't a nationwide trend. We had one station charging $4.45/gal while everyone else was at $3.89 but that was about the extent of it locally here.

16. Sep 28, 2008 at 5:48 PM
    bounrith

Member:
    Long Beach, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner
    Snug Lid F2
    Am I reading correctly that your govt. tell you Canadians that your gas is imported from the good olde USA? :confused::confused::confused: That would be a right out lie.

I believe Canada is second only to the Middle East as the USA gas provider.

17. Sep 28, 2008 at 11:27 PM
    Okkine

Okkine Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    Yep, Alberta's oil sands alone alone has a larger concentration of oil than what's in the middle east, and we certainly export more than we import. That said, oil/gas is traded globally, so production setbacks in the US still affect Canadian prices. We also have higher federal and provincial taxes on gasoline than in the US, which is why we pay around 30-45% more for our gas.

http://www.oilsandsdiscovery.com/oil_sands_story/pdfs/vastresource.pdf

Edit: I should also point out that Canada does not have the the same volume of refining capabilities as the US, so depending on where in Canada you live, it is quit possible that your gas was refined in the US from Canadian oil.

18. Sep 28, 2008 at 11:52 PM
    genxer36

genxer36 Lord of Tomfoolery

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Bethlehem,GA
    Tow package, XM Satellite radio, K & N Air filter, & Channel Vent Visors
    Gas is hard to find. Not all stations have it. And you can't get mid or prem if you wanted it. Stations are having a hard enough time keeping regular.
    The highest price I have seen was $4.30. That is until today, $5.97 a gallon.:eek: And this is at a major chain QuickTrip. All the other QT's have been $3.97.

Vehicles are backed up into the streets at every gas station, trying to buy gas. I have never seen anything like this. Even my older co-workers say in the 70's when we had the gas crisis in this country, it wasn't this bad.

The news media has over hyped the gas shortage & sent everyone into a frenzy to buy gas. I made a mistake last week & waited till I was at a half of a tank before trying to fill up. Several days later I was on E before I was able to buy gas.

19. Sep 28, 2008 at 11:54 PM
    MsTRD

MsTRD hell yes i love my truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Samantha
    Rohnert Park, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 White Prerunner TRD Sport
    i will never let my baby go! i was driving a honda getting 30 mpg before i got my truck and not once have a regretted it!

20. Sep 29, 2008 at 7:06 AM
    Greenblazer

Greenblazer Thread Killer

Member:
    Phoenix. Aridzona
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner Dblcab SR5 Black
    Home Made Tonneau, The Baba Booey Mod... Sirius Satellite Radio
    Hey Ya'll,

Well there seems to be a few naysayers around here. Some seem to be so sure that I am wrong and they are right, but I wonder how many have actually done the research, and who do you believe when there is a discrepancy?

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Sorry if I don't address your articular point here, but I have formed my opinion through personal research.

Mine is that the speed limit on the freeway that I drive is between 65 and 45MPH but has mostly 55MPH. It is under construction, and exceeding the speed limit in a construction zone seems far more dangerous, illegal, and anti social than going the speed limit in the right lane. There is always a minimum of one extra lane, sometimes 4 lanes extra, for people who choose to disregard the law and blow by at well over the limit. I hate when people get in my way too, and I am a considerate person who avoids getting in other peoples way. Do unto others and all that.

I rarely turn off my engine unless there is definitely going to be a long wait. Avoiding excessive idling saves gas. Sitting in your truck with the engine running while you wait for someone outside of a store is a good example of excessive idling.

Safety is the primary concern when driving. < Notice the period after that sentence.

I am not driving unsafely.

As far as the tires are concerned premature wear is false. The manufacture puts a number on the side of the tire for a reason. It says Max Inflation 51 PSI on the factory Dunlops and the dealer inflated them to 50PSI per my request and gave no warning that there could be any problem with it, even though I asked. Come to think of it neither did the tire engineer that I spoke with about the same subject. They did mention a rougher ride, but it's a truck, and I don't even notice it.

Did you know that there are police departments that us hyperinflation on their police cars? There are news articles about it, look it up. My tires are not over inflated they are just almost as full as they can safely be per manufacturers rating.

People in the hypermiling world are reporting better wear characteristics from over inflated tires, and again the tire engineer that I talked to was not surprised by these results because of the way tires wear. Tires are designed to go through a certain number of cycles of expansion and retraction. Low pressure is what causes most tire failures. Tire manufacturers want you to buy new tires more often. Under inflated tires wear faster. They love fools who don't maintain their tires, and those who just have to buy the sportiest compound to burn off on the street. Those people who put race or sport compound tires on a vehicle that gets mostly used sitting in bumper to bumper traffic are the fools I am talkin about.

Do the research before you believe the hype of urban legend.

One of hybrid technologies key advantages is that it shuts the engine down when it can. Modern fuel injected engines do not have starting issues like cars did in the old days so the old standards of thinking don't always apply. I will admit that the more you use your starter the more likely it will eventually break, but I don't worry about it because the number of times I use my starter is insignificantly small compared with commercial applications. You know those trucks that get used to do things like go from stop to stop all day long making deliveries and such.

Keeping my RPMs low means the parts in my engine will travel a shorter distance than the guy who likes to bounce his engine against the limiter. How do you think all those people get crazy high miles out of Toyota trucks? They baby them, just like me.

The old thinking that you have to open er up to clear out the carbon is antiquated thinking leftover from the carburetor and points days. My truck has computer controlled fuel injection, and ignition systems, and I do occasionally have a reason to mash the go pedal, so that's not an issue.

Please don't listen to me and for crying out loud don't believe it just because someone writes a post on Tacoma World about it. I guarantee that there are just as many idiots here as there are in the real world, maybe more. Do the research for yourself, but if you haven't done it then you should not go around spouting things like your opinion is fact and mine is wrong. It's my truck that I am driving, and I will reap the rewards or punishment if I am wright or wrong. I am not worried, but if I drove like I used to, I might be a little concerned.

Someone asked how I managed to get the mileage that I do and I explained how. I choose to drive in a manner that is far safer and efficient than many of the people in this world, and I am not in your way.

I am a truck guy, and I did the research in to how to get more economy from my truck, and am sharing my results as a friendly gesture. I believe that public forums are for sharing, those who think the purpose of a forum like this is to talk smack about others is probably in the wrong place.

Products Discussed in

To Top