1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

anybody with the 3.4l V6 trd supercharger??

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by zeeya2000, Jul 22, 2010.

1. Jul 22, 2010 at 3:35 PM
    zeeya2000

zeeya2000 [OP] Cajun Taceaux

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    Bad-Ass PreRunner
    Flowmaster super 10 series turndowns/ Volant CAI system/ Alpine deck, Alpine bass speakers throughtout with tweeters, Alpine PLT-5 Sub/ Blacked out front bumper and door handles/ 5% and 20% tint/ Bilstein 5100 adjustable shocks all the way around with a 1.5'' block lift in the rear/ also removed my running boards and mudflaps/ Blacked out badges - TRD windshield banner - TRD third brake light cover (all courtesy of SockMonkey)
    jus checking who has the trd supercharger put on the 3.4l v6.
    i had a few questions

2. Aug 7, 2010 at 4:07 PM
    TOYOTRON

TOYOTRON Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Milo
    california
    Vehicle:
    toyotron 4x4
    supercharger 1st gen/snorkel/k&n filter/jba catback/headers/33" toyo tires
    I got a 1st gen in mine what can i help you in. I aint an expert but i can tell you some things that will help

3. Aug 8, 2010 at 10:57 AM
    zeeya2000

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    Bad-Ass PreRunner
    Flowmaster super 10 series turndowns/ Volant CAI system/ Alpine deck, Alpine bass speakers throughtout with tweeters, Alpine PLT-5 Sub/ Blacked out front bumper and door handles/ 5% and 20% tint/ Bilstein 5100 adjustable shocks all the way around with a 1.5'' block lift in the rear/ also removed my running boards and mudflaps/ Blacked out badges - TRD windshield banner - TRD third brake light cover (all courtesy of SockMonkey)
    ahh thank you ive been waiting for a first generation to respond.
    okay i have 136k miles on my truck and i know that the transmission in it right now wouldnt handle a supercharger very well. idk what to do with it.

can you tell me what you had to do before you got the supercharger installed and running????

thanks

4. Aug 8, 2010 at 2:54 PM
    snwbdr

snwbdr Active Member

Member:
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    '14 DCSB V6 4x4
    well you need to elaborate on what you mean by the "transmission in it right now wouldnt handle a supercharger very well" ....Are you auto or manual? If it's an auto, is it starting to slip on you?

I have a manual tranny and didn't do anything to the truck before I installed the charger...

5. Aug 8, 2010 at 4:05 PM
    .Trdtaco315.

.Trdtaco315. Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Santa ana
    Vehicle:
    03 Trd SR5 Prerunner
    bump, cant wait to hear more on this

6. Aug 8, 2010 at 10:40 PM
    zeeya2000

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    Bad-Ass PreRunner
    what i meant was will an automatic transmission with 136k miles on it handle the power and torque gains from the supercharger without tearing it apart? Of course with the mileage I have there is no warranty left and I would rather rebuild tranny if needed before installing the s/c. At the current time the tranny shifts great with no slipping what so ever.

7. Aug 9, 2010 at 6:01 AM
    TKGN1

TKGN1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Todd
    College Station, TX
    Vehicle:
    '01 DC TRD 4wd
    SAS on links, SC, flat bed
    I just put a TRD SC on my auto with 212,500 miles (now have 216,000), all stock and original. So, the answer is yes, the auto will handle the power. If your tranny is fine now you shouldn't have any problems after the SC install. The only thing I would suggest adding is an aftermarket tranny cooler.

8. Aug 9, 2010 at 6:34 AM
    Barnone

Barnone Guest

Good point about the auto trans cooler.
    You be the supercharger king with the Taco, Cummings, and the Buick.
    I had the Cummings in a 2003 Dodge and that truck would pull anything.

9. Aug 9, 2010 at 12:49 PM
    zeeya2000

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    Bad-Ass PreRunner
    okay guys that sounds alot cheaper so im happy.
    but what brand and type would you reccomend for the setup i have???

10. Aug 9, 2010 at 1:16 PM
    TKGN1

TKGN1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Todd
    College Station, TX
    Vehicle:
    '01 DC TRD 4wd
  11. Aug 9, 2010 at 5:29 PM
    zeeya2000

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    Bad-Ass PreRunner
    okay thanks ill look into that.
    anymore comments or suggestions on what i should do before please post

12. Aug 9, 2010 at 6:10 PM
    04trd

04trd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Cleveland Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2015 f150 lariat
    weather techs, 20precent tint, leveling kit, back flip bed cover, rhino liner
    well hell i got a few questions to add! i heard you cant tow with the supercharger? is that true? i got a 16 foot open trailer i tow two quads with and was wondering if always having the super charger making boost will hurt it? or is it not recomended to pull with a supercharger

13. Aug 9, 2010 at 6:59 PM
    zeeya2000

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    Bad-Ass PreRunner
    damn good question, id like to know too.
    i dont think there would be a problem.
    my dad has an s/c on his 2010 tundra and all the guys on his site (tundrasolutions) have never said a word about problems with towing.
    but that is a totaly different ball game being the size and towing capacity difference of the Tacoma Vs Tundra

14. Aug 10, 2010 at 5:28 AM
    TOYOTRON

TOYOTRON Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Milo
    california
    Vehicle:
    toyotron 4x4
    supercharger 1st gen/snorkel/k&n filter/jba catback/headers/33" toyo tires
    TKGN1 I seen some of the pics of your s/c photos I have the same set up except the intake you got the original intake I got the cold airintake. Question I need to confirm that my vacuum lines are correct I can see them coming across but I can't see where you hooked them up too. The brake booster is easy the ones behind the s/c I can't see how the set up goes ? Can you advise me on that? Or post more pictures of where each jose is connected to and if at any point you utilized a one way valve hook up?

15. Aug 10, 2010 at 7:43 AM
    TKGN1

TKGN1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Todd
    College Station, TX
    Vehicle:
    '01 DC TRD 4wd
    Anytime you add more power you are putting more stress on the entire driveline. You should be OK hauling moderate loads with the SC, use common sense when pulling trailers ect. You can pull just the same with or without a SC, just don't try drag racing pulling the trailer.
    I run 93 octane all the time, to me if you are putting a SC on and plan on going the cheap route of running cheaper fuel, you'll end up paying for it down the road.
    Here is a link to vacuum routing for the SC. http://www.gadgetonline.com/Vac.jpg
    There are some lines not used based on what year model you have but this should get you by for the most part. For example, I don't have vacuum lines on the power steering or 4WD vacuum switch port, therefore I did not use those.
    If you are installing the gen 1 SC , use the factory fuel pressure regulator, don't use the one that came with the SC, the factory FPR will handle the additional fuel needed.
    There is a lot of info available here also: http://www.gadgetonline.com/Super.htm
    HTH

16. Aug 10, 2010 at 12:19 PM
    zeeya2000

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    Bad-Ass PreRunner
    thanks a bunch.
    im sure ill find more questions to ask

17. Aug 10, 2010 at 12:31 PM
    rcbs204

rcbs204 Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    Just another tidbit for ya,
    You will learn by adding a SC that the engine will begin to starve for fuel at higher RPMs. You will have to install a larger fuel pump for sure. On mine i installed larger Fuel injectors and ignition timing and fuel map computer to get rid of the low rpm high gear knock. If you are truley serious about doing this project right, talk to Brian Trager at URDUSA.com. These guys are freaking excellent at these SC's. I would also reccomend headers and catback for max performance. I did all the above and gained serious HP and actually gained MPG as well. Really hard to keep your foot out of it though.
    Cheers,

18. Aug 10, 2010 at 1:07 PM
    zeeya2000

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    Bad-Ass PreRunner
    ill deff look into that, thanks

19. Jan 13, 2013 at 8:06 PM
    Mark Washington

Mark Washington Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    96 Black 4x4 Tacoma V6
    Toytech front coil springs Rancho tundra 9000XL Total caos upper control arms diff drop longger red steel lines rear disc conversion Pro-Comp rear add a leaf 2'' and around 2" shackle energy suspention bushings 3" body lift. Safari snorkal,Magnaflow 2.5'' catback with highflow cat,TRD supercharger with URD 7th injector kit. NGK NGK wires Oem and Denso waterpump pullys Timing belt EBC yellow front pads EBC rotors Motul fluid. Class C Tow hitch and drop hitch sliding rear window 6x9 kickers with pioneer deck 1000watt amp 10" sub B&M shift knob URD short shifterGT Grant steering wheel occ floor Mat cammo seat cover.
    I just installed my supercharger this weekend and I need the throttle body gasket and maybe some vacuum lines routed the correct way. I got it used and its the 2nd gen on my 97 4x4 5 speed black tacoma v6 3.4.
    I really wanna get it running better and get a wideband and boost gauge.
    I drove it home from my shop and it was fine just doesnt have more power yet. Cuts out after over 1/2 throttle.

20. Jan 14, 2013 at 2:43 PM
    Boosted TRD

Boosted TRD your what hurts!?!?!?

Member:
    First Name:
    Zeb
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    00 TRD SR5 4x4 5-spd supercharged, Cantilever L/T.
    TRD Supercharger, URD 7th injector, 2.2" S/C pulley, light weight crank pulley, CAI, CB exhaust, Camburg Mid-Travel front, LSK Cantilever L/T rear
    I've got a first gen with the second gen (black) supercharger on it. But I'm a manual trans. So not sure if I'll be able to help,but will if I can.

BTW, it's Cummins not Cummings lol:cheers:

Products Discussed in

To Top