1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Anyone been up the dusy trail at courtright res.?

Discussion in 'Off-Roading & Trails' started by jcemitte, Oct 24, 2011.

1. Oct 24, 2011 at 10:58 AM
    jcemitte

jcemitte [OP] Livin' the taco life

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Tulare CA
    Vehicle:
    04 Taco SR5 5 lugger
    Deck Plate mod, Knock Off Flowmaster,billet grill, alpine HU w/kicker amp and pheonix gold 12" sub stock componets
    rode shotgun with a buddy that has a jeep group up the dusy last weekend... it was pretty cool but we took a really hard hit near the top of thompson hill and lost our rear drive line and broke the steering box bracket, so the group had to turn around and go back.. we had a 74 landcrusier with us that was damn near stock and she was able drive out with minor winching...

has anyone completed that trail in a taco?

its in california btw above shaver lake....

2. Oct 24, 2011 at 4:48 PM
    jcemitte

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Tulare CA
    Vehicle:
    04 Taco SR5 5 lugger
    Deck Plate mod, Knock Off Flowmaster,billet grill, alpine HU w/kicker amp and pheonix gold 12" sub stock componets
    i think i may have said the only four letter word thats not allowed on TW... jeep

:crapstorm:

3. Oct 24, 2011 at 6:02 PM
    J4RR

J4RR Well-Known Member

Member:
    The OC
    Vehicle:
    07 DC LB TRD SPORT 4X4
    My buddy Eric has done it in an FJ, but don't know of any Tacos. We've
    HTML:

done Swamp lake in Tacos including mine, that was crazy! I think we have a pic thread of that trip on here from a couple years ago.
    How is the trail to Pilot rock campground? Aka chicken rock. I heard its easy up until there.

4. Oct 27, 2011 at 8:50 AM
    jcemitte

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Tulare CA
    Vehicle:
    04 Taco SR5 5 lugger
    chicken rock is the least of your worries on that trail lol... its a pretty cool drive but make sure your gear is secure or it will slide back (or front if you’re going down)... the trail is mild until you get to Thompson hill with a few exceptions. There are two longs sections of boulders that can be pretty bad if you don’t have clearance or sliders and a few spots that look simple but a wrong line will put your cab into a tree. if you’re not rockin a 4" inch lift on 33's and you don’t have front and back lockers I recommend turning around when you get to the lake shore on the north east side of the lake. The trail goes between trees that are pretty tight and around some sharp turns that might make a long wheel base experience some difficulty avoiding body damage…
    Those jeep guys were sayin that there was now way a taco with a lift, lockers, and tires could make it, since I was the only guy there that was a taco fan I was ignored when I said I thought it could. So now we need someone who has a rig to try it! But if you do bring parts for sure… and a dent puller :)

5. Oct 27, 2011 at 10:44 AM
    J4RR

J4RR Well-Known Member

Member:
    The OC
    Vehicle:
    07 DC LB TRD SPORT 4X4
    I know what you mean when the jeep guys didn't believe a taco could get through. When we went through Swamp lake trail the locals running the trail said that they have never seen Tacoma's run the trail let alone any IFS rigs get through, we had about 7 IFS rigs get through 4 were new gen Tacos and we pulled an FJ through half the trial when he lost his rear less then half way through the trail :cool:
    We actually didn't know what we were getting ourselves into and actually spent the night out on the trail but made out :eek:

6. Oct 27, 2011 at 1:34 PM
    jcemitte

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Tulare CA
    Vehicle:
    04 Taco SR5 5 lugger
    i would like to ride along in an ifs rig to see the difference on some of the harder stuff. they say as long as its set up right they are just as good as a solid axle

Products Discussed in

To Top