1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Anyone deal with anxiety and depression on here?

Discussion in 'Health' started by MikeJones7989, Oct 20, 2017.

1. Oct 23, 2017 at 11:05 AM
    Hotmomma's Daddy

Hotmomma's Daddy Member

Member:
    Depression and anxiety. I deal with them both. I grew up in a family where I was constantly told how I was to feel and to get my head out of my
    backside. It was a strong loving family, but misguided in their ways. I am on a low dose of meds and it seems to help. Keeping busy is the best
    way for me to deal with it tho. Main thing to remember, YOU ARE NOT ALONE!!!! HANG IN THERE FRIEND!!!!

2. Oct 23, 2017 at 11:56 AM
    MikeJones7989

MikeJones7989 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Yeah, i know what you mean, i talk to my mother and father about it and they look at me like i am from outer space. i am researching a therapist. Not sure if i should see a psychologist, a psychiatrist, or just a licensed therapist. Any input would be appreciated.

geoyota760 and ChadsPride like this.
  3. Oct 23, 2017 at 11:59 AM
    MikeJones7989

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    i am currently taking Lexapro and it has caused a 30lb weight gain in 10 months. And i feel even worse. Like my brain cannot shut off and relax. I was on prozac for years and it did an ok job but eventually outgrew its welcome.

geoyota760 and ChadsPride like this.
  4. Oct 23, 2017 at 12:33 PM
    Justanotherhemi

Justanotherhemi Space Cowboy/Ninja

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick James
    Area 52 (because area 51 was full)
    Vehicle:
    Intelligent Life Exists
    10 month break from the Prozac may be enough time to get you back on it and get the therapeutic effects back. I would schedule an appointment with your doctor to talk about your weight loss and your symptoms. There are many medications out there to treat the same thing. If Lexapro is not working for you a change may be needed.

geoyota760 likes this.
  5. Oct 23, 2017 at 1:05 PM
    MikeJones7989

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    i was thinking of Zoloft

6. Oct 24, 2017 at 10:25 AM
    Hotmomma's Daddy

Hotmomma's Daddy Member

Member:
    I totally get the brain not shutting down!!! Only times I could get it to relax was after having a couple of drinks. I knew that would just lead to alcoholism. I just went to my regular doctor. He put me on Paroxetine. A generic version of Paxil. It is working for me so far. It definitely has cut down on the anxiety and has helped me sleep at night. It does slow the brain down. I don't feel groggy the next day either. Might be an option for you. Start with your Dr first and go from there. Difference between a
    psychologist and a psychiatrist is the Psychiatrist can prescribe meds where as the psychologist would have to work with your doctor for any prescriptions. (Or it might be the other way around....) Good Luck!

7. Oct 24, 2017 at 10:36 AM
    geoyota760

geoyota760 Allergic to pavement

Member:
    PHOENIX, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD OR
    5.29 Nitros Bilstein ICON Kansei BFG
    Start with a licensed therapist...which was my experience in 2008 when I had a raft of personal isht to deal with:

Divorce...after 19 years...custody battle...ugly...then,

Sister died at 36 from breast cancer...bad time, then,

Foreclosure...waited for sheriff to tack notice on door, couch surfed for 18 months, then,

Employment terminated....took six weeks off and entered therapy

I was in a very dark place...and contemplated some serious isht.

You have taken the first step, acknowledgement which is a scary ledge in and of itself.

Next step, asking for help (which you kinda tooks steps with here) and then following through.

As others have posted, exercise is a great compliment to the tools that a mental health professional will hand you along your journey.

And, it is a journey.

Try to look for the simple things in life and adopt a bit of back to basics approach.

When it got really dark for me, I tried to focus on my son and his outlook on life had I taken drastic measures.

Hang in there man...it will get better.

8. Oct 24, 2017 at 10:47 AM
    geoyota760

geoyota760 Allergic to pavement

Member:
    PHOENIX, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD OR
    5.29 Nitros Bilstein ICON Kansei BFG
    One other thing...

I had anxiety that was diagnosed by my PC physician, and was on Paxil 20mg a day (in 2003...) ...didn't respond to it well, then a psychiatrist prescribed Celexa at 10 mg a day, which really helped put a mellow ceiling and floor on my emotions.

The last round of therapy in 2008 started as marriage counseling, but when my ex balked the MFT asked if I wanted to continue working with her, and I'm glad I did.

First six sessions I just talked/unloaded a LOT of baggage. She listened and sorted through the flotsam and jetsom of my life, and then started giving me mental tools (yes, you have the power to walk away) and a few books to read, with light homework.

We made the decision to skip the meds this round (2008-2010), and after two years of working with her, starting with two sessions a week, and then weaning off into one session a week, then once a month, I was able to stop visiting (a decision we both made together) in late 2010, and have not been back since.

Strength in experience and asking for help for sure helped in my instance.

Kinda funny, but actually cathartic to type this stuff, as I haven't thought about it in a few years.

Again, hang in there.

PM me if you have any off forum Q's.

9. Oct 24, 2017 at 11:00 AM
    tomwil

tomwil Well-Known Member

Member:
    East Coast USA
    Vehicle:
    2014 Reg Cab 4x4
    ChadsPride likes this.
  10. Oct 24, 2017 at 11:13 AM
    Tactical_Panda

Tactical_Panda Armchair Anarchist

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Fredericksburg, VA
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma Double Cab, Off-Road Edition
    AJT Designs Shifter AJT Designs Battery Hold-Down ARB Awning 2500x2500 ARB Twin Compressor w/ Slee Offroad Mounting Bracket Avid Brush Bar Avid Step Bars Black Rock Wheels Series 997 Type 8 Circuit Breaker/Relay Panel Custom TRD Decals Bulletproof Fabricating Raptor Grill Bulletproof Fabricating Cooling Panel Bulletproof Fabricating Tow Hook Duluth Trading Company Dog Hammock Exhaust Breather Mod eBay Special 3-Gallon Air Tank Expedition Essentials TPAM EZ Down tailgate damper Flagpole Mounts, Dual Foglight Mod Front Camera Rear Camera; full time available General Grabber tires Goat Armor Hella Supertone Horns Iggy Switch Panel Icon Dynamics Stage 3 Suspension Katskin Leather Interior KickAss camp shower LED Bed Lights LED Interior Lights Midland MXT275 GMRS Two-Way Radio OEM Audio Plus Reference 500 audio upgrade Plano Cases. 42" roof mounted, X2 Pop-N-Lock Tailgate Handle Prinsu Cab Rack Prinsu-like Shell Rack Redline Tuning Hood Struts Rigid Industries 40" Light Bar Rigid Industries Ditch Lights Rigid Industries Spotlights Toyota Bed Step UltraGauge EM Plus v1.4 Vixen Air Horns, Four-Trumpet Whole bunch of decals worth about 5HP each Yakima Road Shower, 10-gal
    Dude, I've been fighting it since childhood, though it wasn't formally diagnosed until I was 36 years old. (I'm in my 50s now and still have to deal with it.).

I know that no single remedy works for everyone, but for me, I don't necessarily try to hide it. Now, I don't go shouting it from the rooftops, but if someone knows about it, I don't care. "Yeah, I have depression. So what?" I even make jokes about and for laughs will portray myself as a real "nut case". It's my way of coping. Although the drugs and the shrink visits don't hurt either.

So yeah. No need to be ashamed of it. It's an illness just like cancer or heart disease. You do what you can do to keep it in check.

DustStorm4x4 likes this.
  11. Oct 24, 2017 at 11:14 AM
    Age315

Age315 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    AJ
    Castle Rock, CO
    Vehicle:
    2016 BBP Yeti Mobile
    TRD Baja Kit with JBA UCA's 1/2 inch spacer on top, Medium Dakars with BAMF hangars and super bumps all around. 285/75/16 Cooper Discoverer AT3 XLT's on graphite TRD faux beadlock wheels. Pro skid powder coated black with Pelfreybilt aluminum mid skid and aluminum gas tank skid.
    That's not good I hope he is OK.

12. Oct 24, 2017 at 11:17 AM
    Tactical_Panda

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Fredericksburg, VA
    Vehicle:
    AJT Designs Shifter AJT Designs Battery Hold-Down ARB Awning 2500x2500 ARB Twin Compressor w/ Slee Offroad Mounting Bracket Avid Brush Bar Avid Step Bars Black Rock Wheels Series 997 Type 8 Circuit Breaker/Relay Panel Custom TRD Decals Bulletproof Fabricating Raptor Grill Bulletproof Fabricating Cooling Panel Bulletproof Fabricating Tow Hook Duluth Trading Company Dog Hammock Exhaust Breather Mod eBay Special 3-Gallon Air Tank Expedition Essentials TPAM EZ Down tailgate damper Flagpole Mounts, Dual Foglight Mod Front Camera Rear Camera; full time available General Grabber tires Goat Armor Hella Supertone Horns Iggy Switch Panel Icon Dynamics Stage 3 Suspension Katskin Leather Interior KickAss camp shower LED Bed Lights LED Interior Lights Midland MXT275 GMRS Two-Way Radio OEM Audio Plus Reference 500 audio upgrade Plano Cases. 42" roof mounted, X2 Pop-N-Lock Tailgate Handle Prinsu Cab Rack Prinsu-like Shell Rack Redline Tuning Hood Struts Rigid Industries 40" Light Bar Rigid Industries Ditch Lights Rigid Industries Spotlights Toyota Bed Step UltraGauge EM Plus v1.4 Vixen Air Horns, Four-Trumpet Whole bunch of decals worth about 5HP each Yakima Road Shower, 10-gal
    He got banned for Politicking back on the 10th, but it was only seven days. Don't know why it happened this time. I hope he is OK and didn't say or do something stupid on TW because he's not doing too well.

tomwil and ChadsPride[QUOTED] like this.
  13. Oct 24, 2017 at 11:26 AM
    The_Hodge

The_Hodge Volunteer Moderator

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    Seeing the third gen section forced me to get a Ford...
    Not sure if any of the mods saw this prior, but he's a former permaban that came back w/o permission.

stickyTaco and ChadsPride like this.
  14. Oct 24, 2017 at 11:35 AM
    Tactical_Panda

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Fredericksburg, VA
    Vehicle:
    Understood. I was just concerned that he might do "something stupid."

ChadsPride likes this.
  15. Oct 24, 2017 at 11:40 AM
    tomwil

tomwil Well-Known Member

Member:
    East Coast USA
    Vehicle:
    2014 Reg Cab 4x4
    Only see one reference of a ban, for only 7 days, not perma.

ChadsPride likes this.
  16. Oct 24, 2017 at 11:41 AM
    The_Hodge

The_Hodge Volunteer Moderator

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    Seeing the third gen section forced me to get a Ford...
    That was his week long prior to the perma. Didn't know about his previous status until after the 1 week ban.

ChadsPride likes this.
  17. Oct 24, 2017 at 11:45 AM
    tomwil

tomwil Well-Known Member

Member:
    East Coast USA
    Vehicle:
    2014 Reg Cab 4x4
    Guess the Banned Members Memorial Thread is not completely kept current, as I see other bans not in the thread.

ChadsPride likes this.
  18. Oct 24, 2017 at 11:54 AM
    jberry813

jberry813 Professional Fluffer Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Lake Tahoe
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB Sport
    ...too much shit to list.
    Sometimes we don't get to all of them due to time contraints and day jobs.

19. Oct 24, 2017 at 12:10 PM
    boynoyce

boynoyce .

Member:
    Vehicle:
    16SR5AC4X4V6QS
    Very sad, can't even imagine what possessed the dude to do this. Hopefully he really can get help, looks like he could use it.

ChadsPride likes this.
  20. Oct 24, 2017 at 1:24 PM
    Mitch76

Mitch76 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mitch
    San Angelo, TX
    Vehicle:
    2021 F150 STX 4x4 5.0
    275/65-20 Cooper Discoverer XLT. Borla XR1.
    Isnt "making TW great again" a reference to a political slogan? I just kinda find that ironic. :notsure:

Products Discussed in

To Top