1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Anyone Disabled their TPMS Light?

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by High-Gear, Jun 13, 2010.

1. Jun 13, 2010 at 8:24 AM
    High-Gear

High-Gear [OP] Zombie Killer

Member:
    Newton, KS
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off Road
    TRD Supercharger, TRD Cat Back Exhaust, DR / Icon 2.5 Coilovers, Camburg UCA, TSB with AAL, Walker Evans 2.0 reservoir rear shocks, ARB Bull Bar, Smittybilt 10K Comp Winch, ARE Camper Shell, Con-Ferr Safari Rack, 4 KC Highlights on rack, 2 KC Rallye 800 on Bumper Armortech Off Road plate rear bumper. Firestone Airbags in rear, with Firestone compressor.
    I'm not going to spend the cash to identify and resynch my TPMS sensors (Dealership wants $200). I lived for years without TPMS, so I don't really need the little idiot light.

How do I deactivate the damn thing?

2. Jun 13, 2010 at 8:31 AM
    High-Gear

Member:
    Newton, KS
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off Road
    TRD Supercharger, TRD Cat Back Exhaust, DR / Icon 2.5 Coilovers, Camburg UCA, TSB with AAL, Walker Evans 2.0 reservoir rear shocks, ARB Bull Bar, Smittybilt 10K Comp Winch, ARE Camper Shell, Con-Ferr Safari Rack, 4 KC Highlights on rack, 2 KC Rallye 800 on Bumper Armortech Off Road plate rear bumper. Firestone Airbags in rear, with Firestone compressor.
    Nevermind, I did a search and saw this is a real Pain in the Ass!

Does anyone have a quick link to removing the instrument cluster. I'm going to tape over the inside of the gauge face.

Cheers!

3. Jun 13, 2010 at 9:37 AM
    snowgod06

snowgod06 UG legend wannabe

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    A farm field, OREGON
    Vehicle:
    06 Access Cab
    crap bolted and welded together....
    theres a thread somewhere here that just has you cut one wire to kill the light. Atleast thats what i was told when i had the stupid light issue.

4. Jun 13, 2010 at 9:40 AM
    TexasTacoma37

TexasTacoma37 Well-Known Member

Member:
    I think that mod only ended up working on the 06's and 07's.

5. Jun 13, 2010 at 9:59 AM
    OH-MAN

OH-MAN Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Sunny Az.
    Vehicle:
    10 4X4 O.R. White
    TRD skid painted black,
    I have seen people put the sensors in a piece of pipe with a schrader valve on one end sealed it and put 35Lbs of air in it and stowed it somewhere on the vehicle, Don't forget the one in the spare as well.

Seems better than messing with tearing out the dash and taping over the light.

6. Jun 13, 2010 at 10:13 AM
    imtwistd

imtwistd Going nowhere as fast as possible

Member:
    First Name:
    I forgot
    Liverpool NY
    Vehicle:
    08 dbl cab long bed sport 4x4 beast
    AllPro offroad front LT with Fox 2.5 shox and AllPro expedtion rear springs with Fox piggy back res shox, TRD skid plate, Toyota roof rack, Undercover tonnuea cover, Pro comp 3" lift, 4 Pro comp 8" offroad lights, 17" XD Series "SPY", Nfab tube steps and light bar, Fitch Fuel, Flexalite fan, Unichip, URD cai, TRD supercharger, URD y-pipe, Banks monster cat back, debadged, projection head lighs, LED tail lights and a loud stereo, Stainless Steel Brake Lines front and rear, Doug Thorley long tube headers, Walboro 255 fuel pump, KC rock guards on my Pro Comp 8" lights
    I took my gauge cluster apart thinking I was just going to remove the bulb but I found that they're LEDs instead so I took a piece of black elecrtical tape and covered over that annoying idiot light. :D

7. Jun 13, 2010 at 10:34 AM
    bama trd

bama trd Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2007 Silver Tacoma TRD Off Road
    Painted Grill with painted Land Cruiser emblem,Tinted Windows, BF Goodrich AT 275/70/17's on 4 Runner SR5 Rims, Bilstein 5100 front and Rear, debadged, fog light on anytime mod,
    I have a 2008 and posted a thread on here on disabling the light , you cut one wire....and just add a fuse-link and hook it to any Hot wire..

8. Jun 13, 2010 at 10:37 AM
    High-Gear

Member:
    Newton, KS
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off Road
    I don't want to pay to have them removed from the tires. $120...ouch. I'd just pay to get the things working again if I was going to spend that much.

thanks though.

9. Jun 13, 2010 at 10:41 AM
    hoosiertaco

hoosiertaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    you must already be out of warranty then?

10. Jun 13, 2010 at 10:41 AM
    High-Gear

Member:
    Newton, KS
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off Road
  11. Jun 13, 2010 at 10:45 AM
    75thrangertaco

75thrangertaco Sua Sponte! RLTW

Member:
    First Name:
    charles
    casper wyoming
    procomp 6 inch co lift ,305/55/20 xtreme a/t tires,4.88 gears ,,grill shell painted white billet inserts.Trd cat back ,
    umm when i had my new tires and wheels installed (10 ply). the tire store put 70 pounds in all four.my light flashed and reset after a few miles . i checked the air pressure and lowered it to 35 pounds. correct me if im wrong but i think it measures the percent of variance between the four tires. i believe 3 to 5 percent is with in the paramiter.but an old trick i did on my chevy was to throw them all in the spare.

12. Jun 13, 2010 at 10:52 AM
    bama trd

bama trd Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2007 Silver Tacoma TRD Off Road
    Painted Grill with painted Land Cruiser emblem,Tinted Windows, BF Goodrich AT 275/70/17's on 4 Runner SR5 Rims, Bilstein 5100 front and Rear, debadged, fog light on anytime mod,
    Unplugging that box behind the control panel is a pain , not much room to get your hands in there , but once you get it unplugged , you'll have a little slck to cut the wire...then just run a hoy wire to it , but make sure to put in a fuse link...good luck

13. Jun 13, 2010 at 10:57 AM
    High-Gear

Member:
    Newton, KS
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off Road
    I purchased a set of after market rims which had the TPMS from an 07 put in them. Since they are not an original part of my 09, no warranty.

14. Jun 13, 2010 at 1:23 PM
    hoosiertaco

hoosiertaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oh gotchya!:thumbsup: Too bad you don't have a contact at the dealer that could recalibrate those for you.

Products Discussed in

To Top