1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Anyone else backpack?

Discussion in 'Travel' started by jefferson, Jun 21, 2009.

1. Jun 21, 2009 at 9:52 PM
    afd23a

afd23a Well-Known Member

Member:
    The Dynamo of Dixie
    Vehicle:
    05 Access Cab 5 Lugger
    Factory Fog Lights, Removed Secondary Air Filter, Metra Ipod Adapter, Int Wiper Stalk, Wet Okole's, URD Short Shifter, Scanguage II w/Blendmount, Fat Bob's 2.75" spacer lift, ARE topper, SP Performance Pads & Slotted Rotors, 4.10 gears
    Sounds really good. They never did any of that in the Smokies. Had a friend that had to be rescued off the top of a mountain by the National Guard after a January snow storm. He was out by himself though. Not fun. Here's a pic of the shelter.

[​IMG]

2. Jun 21, 2009 at 9:52 PM
    Snipe

Snipe Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pacific NW
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Off Road

I frequent REI and they have a good selection of food stuff too, you will find many have reviews from others that have tried them but I found it's smart to try the dish at home instead of waiting til I'm on a trail and find what I brought for dinner tastes like shit

http://www.rei.com/

3. Jun 21, 2009 at 9:58 PM
    afd23a

afd23a Well-Known Member

Member:
    The Dynamo of Dixie
    Vehicle:
    05 Access Cab 5 Lugger
    Factory Fog Lights, Removed Secondary Air Filter, Metra Ipod Adapter, Int Wiper Stalk, Wet Okole's, URD Short Shifter, Scanguage II w/Blendmount, Fat Bob's 2.75" spacer lift, ARE topper, SP Performance Pads & Slotted Rotors, 4.10 gears
    x2 on going to REI. They're a good one stop shop for most gear. Another shop to try is Adventure 16. Used to go to the one in Reseda cause it was closer than going to the REI in Northridge (used to live in LA).

x2 on trying the meals at home. Things generally taste better on the trail cause you're so hungry, but shit still tastes like shit.

4. Jun 21, 2009 at 9:59 PM
    jefferson

jefferson [OP] needs to stop cruising Buy/Sell/Trade....

Member:
    First Name:
    Sex Panther
    San Diego (North Park!), CA
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5
    toyota brand hitch and uhaul wiring harness, fog lamps on anytime, bed lamps, map lights on with dome, day time running lamps, remove secondary air filter, painted bumper grill, Double Din touch screen stereo, Sockmonkey custom SR5 decal, door & seatbelt bells disabled, painted engine cover, installed compass/temperature overhead console, failed mod: passenger side auto down window switches, weathertech front mats, RedLine hood struts, Cheap Beep piezo buzzer locking beep, 5100s in the front set at 2.5, 5100s in the rear, AAL, hitch safe, revenge fab sliders, bed bar, prerunner light, cb wired
    yah, REI is pretty rad.. but god damn expensive..

5. Jun 21, 2009 at 10:02 PM
    afd23a

afd23a Well-Known Member

Member:
    The Dynamo of Dixie
    Vehicle:
    05 Access Cab 5 Lugger
    It helps when your gf works there :D They also have scratch and dent sales every few months. You can score some good deals on returned gear. Sign up for your local store's newsletter to find out when they have them.

6. Jun 21, 2009 at 11:21 PM
    gozar

gozar Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Off-Road 4x4
  7. Jun 21, 2009 at 11:23 PM
    jefferson

Member:
    First Name:
    Sex Panther
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5
    toyota brand hitch and uhaul wiring harness, fog lamps on anytime, bed lamps, map lights on with dome, day time running lamps, remove secondary air filter, painted bumper grill, Double Din touch screen stereo, Sockmonkey custom SR5 decal, door & seatbelt bells disabled, painted engine cover, installed compass/temperature overhead console, failed mod: passenger side auto down window switches, weathertech front mats, RedLine hood struts, Cheap Beep piezo buzzer locking beep, 5100s in the front set at 2.5, 5100s in the rear, AAL, hitch safe, revenge fab sliders, bed bar, prerunner light, cb wired
  8. Jun 21, 2009 at 11:51 PM
    gozar

gozar Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Off-Road 4x4
    The How to Shit in the Woods book is not just a joke - it actually has good info, and answers a valid question!

I LOVE my Jet Boil.
    Again, they have 'em at REI too. When you're on a backpacking trip, you are mostly going to be boiling food, not actually cooking it. . Jet Boil comes without the coffee thing if you don't drink joe, but if you do - then you are going to thank me every morning!

Overall for gear:

I find that less is more, and my funnest trips were when I went light. This is going to be important for you guys as you are going 30 some miles in three days. Nothing turns a trip into a death march like lugging 70 pounds of crap

If it's going to be warm, and little chance of rain - take a bivvy sac instead of a tent. Or, take one tent big enough for 2 or three guys - one guy carries the tent, another takes the cooking stuff etc. Or consider taking a tarp instead of a tent.

If you are in bear country - consider one of these. The trick with bears is that prevention is everything. Check in with the local rangers, and see if they have any recommendations. They are smart buggers, and can get your food if you just hang it in a tree. Thing is, if they get your food (rewarded for their behavior) they will look for more (in your tent?) If they can't get at it, they will get frustrated and give up.

As for food - some of those camp dinners you get at REI are o.k., but they are expensive (and they make you shit like crazy.) Beware because some of them totally taste like ass. Stick with the basics (Chili, spaghetti) and avoid the ones that look fancy or gourmet. Believe me though - they will summon the shit monster in you if that's all you eat for a few days. One day I saw my brother drop his pack and dive off the trail. I thought he was hurt or something, but he just had to crap right friggin' now thanks to 4 days of REI trail food.

For an alternative, go to a store like Sprouts or Whole Foods, and look for dehydrated foods - noodle dishes etc. Hard cheeses will last a few days without refrigeration and are a good source of calories, ditto for beef jerky. Those foil pouches of tuna and chicken are good to carry for protein (don't forget to pack them out and don't forget to put your trash where bears can't get at it.) I like to take bagels for carbs (good for breakfast and lunch - and they won't get smooshed like bread, or crumbled like crackers.) You are looking for foods that are have high calorie density for weight and volume. Get some oatmeal and eat it for breakfast (see previous paragraph and my story about my brother.)

For training - the running you are doing is good, but make sure you do some hiking with a loaded pack, and do it in the shoes you are going to wear on the trip. Can't stress how important that second bit is!

Have fun - I will throw out a few other things as I think of them.
    Avoid the temptation to take TOO MUCH HEAVY CRAP! Leave the camping gadgets at home. Think of things that will have more than one use.

Make sure to do a follow up post with pics and a trip report!

9. Jun 21, 2009 at 11:59 PM
    Nafsidan

Nafsidan Member

Member:
    Arcata, CA
    Vehicle:
    Basic '07
    None
    That's awesome that you're going to do the nine peaks in the San G mountains. I used to live in Mentone, and I spent a lot of time in those mountains. I've peaked San G over twenty times, and done the nine peak challenge 5 times.

Try to camp out at Dry Lake if you can manage the time. There is a fresh water source there that tastes delicious, and you don't have to purify the water since it comes straight out of the mountain.

10. Jun 22, 2009 at 11:42 AM
    jefferson

Member:
    First Name:
    Sex Panther
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5
    AH great to know. i'll still use my nifty pump thing no matter what.. i'm so excited for it. You can get a patch that says 9 peaks on it ya know!

Any advice you could give?

11. Jun 22, 2009 at 11:43 AM
    jefferson

Member:
    First Name:
    Sex Panther
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5
    SO much good information there, thanks so much. And since we're gonna take 4 of us total, we're splitting the gear up so it'll be easier for all of us.

12. Jun 22, 2009 at 11:45 AM
    white+Peal

white+Peal Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kris
    Henderson, NV
    Vehicle:
    08 prerunner
    Magaflow catback exhaust, AEM CAI, front bumper made by famous fabrication, JBA long tube headers, All pro back bumper, BPF raptor style grill, 3' toytech lift
  13. Jun 22, 2009 at 11:52 AM
    gozar

gozar Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Off-Road 4x4
    Those are good - but make sure you bring purifier pills just in case it breaks.
    Had that happen on a trip once.

Lately, I have been going with the purifier pills only - losing the filter / pump is one less thing to add weight and volume to your pack. Get the pills that have the extra tablet that takes the iodine taste out. Unless you're weird like my brother - he actually likes the iodine taste.

14. Jun 22, 2009 at 7:08 PM
    Nafsidan

Nafsidan Member

Member:
    Arcata, CA
    Vehicle:
    Basic '07
    None
    The one item that I suggest bringing to anyone going up there is motrine. If you can get 800mg pills, I would suggest bringing them. If not, bring a bunch of the 200's. You will get altitude sickness, and if you haven't ever gotten it before, be prepared to feel like you are dying. Your muscles will hurt. Your heart will skip beats. Your head will feel like it is going to explode. Pop as much motrine as you think your body can handle right when you start to notice the trees thinning out, and you just might be able to make it to the top without passing out. Take baby steps, and just know that it will be worth it when you make it to the peak.

I've never needed any sort of water purification in those mountains. Even at the driest times of the year, there are enough sources to keep you hydrated, but you have to know where to look. Dry Lake and High Creek are by far the best camping spots up there, and both have fresh water sources. One time I went up there with a friend that wanted to try out his fancy new water pump, and after spending 30 minutes getting it to work, the water tasted dirty from the filtration process.

I suggest parking your vehicle at the Vivian Creek trailhead at the very top of Forest Falls. The parking lot there is the busiest and most watched, and you probably won't have any problems with people or animals trying to hurt your truck. Also, Vivian creek is the toughest trail in Southern California, and if you go that way, you are the man.

On the way up, make sure to bring some cash to pick up some beef jerky at Greenspot Liquor just before the ranger station. When you get off the trail, there are some really great places to eat right on Highway 38 in Mentone. Arthurs has really good biscuits and gravy for breakfast. In the Stator Bros parking lot, there is a sandwich place called Heska's that makes amazing hoagies, and right next door is Johnny's Tacos that is great for getting stuffed on tacos while drinking beer. There is a brewery called Hangar 24 that sells an orange wheat beer made from local oranges, and it is fantastic. You can get some at Johnny's, but you can also drive just down the street to try all six of their beers at the brewery. If you're really hungry, check out Mill Creek Cattle Company for a steak. Mill Creek carries Hangar 24 as well, and they have killer tri-tip.

If you have any more specific questions, I can answer them for you. If not, good luck, and enjoy yourself in my old back yard!

Products Discussed in

To Top