1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Anyone else? Crank Shaft Position Sensor problem in the 2016 TRD Off Road

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by Port9980, Dec 4, 2015.

1. Dec 4, 2015 at 6:26 PM
    Port9980

Port9980 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2023 MGM Long Bed TRD Off-Road
    Retrax Pro XR Yakima Overhaul HD
    Well, my 2 day old 2016 Taco almost got me killed merging onto the highway last night. Apparently as a result of a faulty Crank Shaft Position Sensor in a brand new car that causes, stalling, sputtering, and ultimately a lack of throttle response. I was unable to accelerate and merge and nearly got smashed by a semi on the highway. Luckily was able to swerve off the road at the last second and avoid a much different evening.

The people at Wilsonville Toyota here in Oregon where I bought the truck are trying (albeit not very hard in my opinion) to make it right, and don't seem to understand that had I not swerved off the highway at the last second due to my inability to accelerate, what they would be dealing with might be a little more serious. They are offering me a slightly better 100,000 Mile/7 Year Warranty. Am I crazy, or do they not seem to understand that something this dangerously faulty in a new car needs to be dealt with a little better than offering a 20k mile bump on my warranty? Then my salesman had the nerve to ask me not to rate his sale poorly based off of this. Duh I understand that, but still, seemed like really poor tact and timing. Rental car experience was awful, lost half a day of work waiting on a loaner, and now have a tiny Hyundai Accent with a winter storm approaching. Excellent replacement for the Taco.

Sorry for the digression, still fairly upset. My question is are any other members having the same issue as I am? Bad CSPS causing sputtering, stalling, no throttle response issues? I know there won't be many, if any, but just thought I would ask. Would hate to have someone's similar problem end more poorly than mine did.

Thanks for any input.

because_wumbo-truck likes this.
  2. Dec 4, 2015 at 6:31 PM
    AZInferno

AZInferno Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Sport Inferno
    Wow, sorry about your ordeal, you rightfully should be livid, I know I would be. I would be sort of freaked out even after getting the truck back, in the back of your mind you will always be thinking when and where it might happen again...hope you get it all settled.

3. Dec 4, 2015 at 6:35 PM
    Unchained 5150

Unchained 5150 Rick

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Auburn Ma
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD Poser Pro Manual.
  4. Dec 4, 2015 at 6:38 PM
    unixadm

unixadm Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Super White 2015 DCSB 4x4 Off Road
    Take the warranty and move on. Parts fail. Yes this was a bad time, but it could have failed at 15k miles in your garage. It has nothing to do with the salesman or the dealership. This is why some people win the lottery and other ones can play for their lifetime and win maybe $50 bucks, luck of the draw. It's not like they intentionally put a defective part in the vehicle. The best manufacturing can still have a problem here and there. Keep in mind that everything is built by humans, even the machines that assemble these parts. I don't know anyone who produces a perfect result, time and time again.

Sounds like you have really high expectations. It's not an Airbus A380 which puts a lot of lives at risk, each and every flight. Even those planes have had significant engine issues and if you know anything about airliner design and engineering, you know they do their best to achieve safety. However even so, they had Rolls Royce engines leak oil and have uncontained failures.

They fixed it and moved on.

5. Dec 4, 2015 at 6:42 PM
    gottaToy

gottaToy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JJ
    movin' on up to the east side
    Vehicle:
    1985 Moped
    Rancho RS66903R7 @2.5", 2x4 block in rear. strait pipe, 37" super swampers
    what a bunch of asshole responses. I'd be pissed and tell them to stick the hyundia up their ass and get a 4runner as a loaner. the extended warranty is probably about all the dealer is authorized to offer peer Toyota. I'd ask for more free service, although that's another gamble letting the dealer do oil changes anymore

6. Dec 4, 2015 at 6:51 PM
    BlazingInfernoTaco

BlazingInfernoTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fort Worth, TX
    Vehicle:
    2016 Inferno Tacoma TRD Sport SB/AT "PreRunner"
    "High expectations"? Really? The dude just bought a $35k+ truck, the expectation is that it works a whole lot longer than two days let alone damn near get him killed.

7. Dec 4, 2015 at 6:55 PM
    gottaToy

Member:
    First Name:
    JJ
    Vehicle:
    1985 Moped
    Parts go bad, problems happen, even on new stuff. The shitty rental is what I would be most pissed about. The dealer should've have gave you something off the lot to get you on your way

8. Dec 4, 2015 at 7:13 PM
    unixadm

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Yes, you read it right. You have high expectations if you are going to buy ANYTHING and expect something not to fail. Things fail. What next? I bought my car and now I expect it never to wear out? How often we forget how quickly we've advanced and where we were just 115 years ago. You guys ever driven a car from the 80's? Holy shit, I sure hope not.

oldman52 and hookembevo like this.
  9. Dec 4, 2015 at 7:14 PM
    Port9980

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    Don't want people to argue too much. Honestly I am curious if anyone else has the same issue to be aware of it if it seems to be a recurring problem for others.

But yes, I would expect the QDR of Toyota to last a little longer than a Couple of days! The rental is a big annoyance though...just want my new truck back and in working order!

BlazingInfernoTaco likes this.
  10. Dec 4, 2015 at 7:18 PM
    o0oSHADOWo0o

o0oSHADOWo0o Just lurking in the darkness

Member:
    First Name:
    Shadow
    Va Beach
    Vehicle:
    2012 Double Cab Short Bed 4x4 TRD Sport
    Just a few LEDs...
    I would say a whole new truck that works properly. Read up on the lemon laws and see what possible recourse you have.

Rising Eagle likes this.
  11. Dec 4, 2015 at 8:40 PM
    Desert_Dawg

Desert_Dawg Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Az
    Vehicle:
    2016 Quicksand TRDOR-DCSB
    First off glad you're ok but like others have said nothings perfect and shit happens but be thankful because things could've been a lot worse. Remember the dealers not at fault and at least they're trying to compensate you somewhat with the extended warranty. I know under the circumstances right now that doesn't seem like much. I would however demand they give me a truck or an suv and not some shit-box Accent!

12. Dec 4, 2015 at 8:41 PM
    unixadm

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Yada, yada, yada. I never once said anything about the Tacoma being faultless or anything about TOYOTA in general. However, you guys can stomp your feet and cry foul over a failed CKPS. That's what makes you guys sleep at night. I on the other hand understand electronics and I know things fail. So take your fan boy comments and direct them to someone who is one. My Tacoma is not faultless, but I'm not stomping my feet. If you don't like Toyota or the Tacoma, then go buy yourself something else. I'm sure you can find a vehicle manufacturer that doesn't have any failures. I might suggest Tesla, no CKPS.

oldman52 likes this.
  13. Dec 4, 2015 at 8:55 PM
    4x4Runner

4x4Runner Sam’s gone, man. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Drunken Sailor
    Not north, not south, not west, mostly east
    Vehicle:
    1WD
    nuttin fancy
    Next time someone comes in here shitting on the thread, TW will offer you a 3-7 day vacation

14. Dec 4, 2015 at 9:12 PM
    KenLyns

KenLyns 8.75" Third Member

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off-Road Full-Auto
    LED Headlights, Volant CAI, 32" Duratracs
    You had an 80,000 mile warranty before?

The crankshaft position sensor is that difficult to replace that they had to give you a free rental?

The important thing is you didn't get hurt. Now keep your cool and try to lever as many freebies out of the dealer/Toyota corporate as you can. :D

15. Dec 4, 2015 at 9:25 PM
    TacoSeattle

TacoSeattle Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma TRD OR 4x4 v6 SB Quicksand
    Crankshaft sensors have been used for many years on all makes so a single failure ranks in the millionth percentile...Toyota and Lexus hold the top two spots in the 2015 reliability rankings of 28 major brands (Ford 17, Chevy 20, Jeep 27)...something to watch for us Taco owners but I would take the extended warranty and go on...now as for a shitty dealer attitude another story...

TacoBella likes this.
  16. Dec 4, 2015 at 9:30 PM
    Johnny919

Johnny919 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Long Island, NY
    Vehicle:
    2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4
    Well i would certainly be pissed if that went on my vehicle after 2 days of ownership. Im sorry, i know that no ones perfect but that should not be happening, especially on a toyota that soon.

I have a 2000 jeep grand cherokee, a while back i was having issues the same you were having with it stalling at random times. I had no idea what it was so i looked it up on a jeep forum and it was the crankshaft position sensor...then again my vehicle is 15 years old and had over 200k miles on it when i had it replaced.

17. Dec 4, 2015 at 10:05 PM
    Tacogram

Tacogram Well-Known Member

Member:
    Apple Valley. CA
    It's just a bad sensor. I doubt toyota used a different sensor than they have in the past or that they use on any of their current models. Just my assumption

18. Dec 4, 2015 at 10:13 PM
    KenLyns

KenLyns 8.75" Third Member

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off-Road Full-Auto
    LED Headlights, Volant CAI, 32" Duratracs
    ^Actually this may be true. The 1GR-FE V6 uses the same crank position sensor as the 2GR-FE, 2GR-FXE, and 2GR-FSE. It's very likely the 2GR-FKS uses the same. Once the 2016 parts catalog proliferates online, we will know for sure.

19. Dec 5, 2015 at 4:44 AM
    Port9980

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    According to the techs they had to special order the part, so it won't get in til at least Tuesday, that's what makes me think it's different than the 2005-2015. Anyways, why is there so much gen 2/gen 3 petty animosity? Just seems stupid when we all own tacomas and have are all on the same website for supporting and learning more about our Toyota trucks. I like the gen 2 as well. Just really like the updates and look of the new truck. Anyways, thanks for all the input!

iceworks24, crepr12 and mbarbay like this.
  20. Dec 5, 2015 at 5:41 AM
    gottaToy

Member:
    First Name:
    JJ
    Vehicle:
    1985 Moped
    When I worked at a dealer, the worst thing was when a new model vehicle had a breakdown. At times it seems they release vehicles without any repair parts available. Went and did a factory tour one time and there was a "shutdown", so we got to see things normally not in the normal tour and we did some sneaking around on our own in places we weren't really "allowed". There was a whole back lot full of brand new vehicles off the assembly line with problems. crankshaft sensors are common problems on lots of other brands, so it happens. Not like Toyota makes the sensor, so shit happens. I'd be thrilled with a free 100,000 mile warranty from Toyota(much better than the independent the dealers sell).

Products Discussed in

To Top