1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Anyone else have a 2WD in an area that gets snow?

Discussion in '4 Cylinder' started by ScottyDaug, Apr 28, 2011.

1. Apr 29, 2011 at 3:05 PM
    91r100gs

91r100gs Understand the Voice Within

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Kansas City area
    Vehicle:
    '08 Impluse Red SR5 I-4
    Factory bed mat, TacomaWorld.com sticker, EGR In-Channel Vent Visors, AFE ProDryS drop in air filter
    The past two winters in KC have been very snowy and slushy. Have not have a problem in snows of up to 8". The skinny stock tires help a lot. A skinny tires digs in better in the snow. BTW I am using the stock Firestone Destination LE's that have 40K+ on them.

2. Apr 29, 2011 at 3:09 PM
    Canadian Girl

Canadian Girl Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kim
    Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    07 X Runner
    Billet 5 piece Grille, Pink X-Brace, Pink Devil Horns, Stereo with Sub-X, short shifter, URD intake, Xii street drop, Vinyl custom interior dash,......... for now ;)
    I do....I do.......

Get snow tires and put a Shurtrax in your bed.....best investment.... No problems :)

http://www.shurtrax.com/

3. Apr 29, 2011 at 3:10 PM
    MountainEarth

MountainEarth Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD OR Access
    Leer 100XR Shell, BedRug mat - comfy sleeping, GT Covers microfiber seat covers, BFG All Terrains 265/70r16, Dashmat, Antennax 13" shorty antenna, Weathertech liners, Ultra Gauge, Avid Light Bar, PIAA 520 ATPs, one old dog
    Put some fat old studded snow tires in the rear, and buy a couple of those long sandbags made for the backs of pickups.

4. Apr 29, 2011 at 4:39 PM
    motoretro

motoretro Well-Known Member

Member:
    Michigan
    Vehicle:
    09 Reg, Cab, 2.7 Four Cyl. manual trans
    Have up to 90" of snofall per year and have never owned a 4WD truck. I started driving in 1969 so everything was RWD back then and you develop a technique for the white stuff. Weight is nice in the rear for worse days although don't try to run sand bags and run the vehicle through car wash w/ it there. They will read you the riot act.

Motoretro

5. Apr 29, 2011 at 8:26 PM
    Drewboto

Drewboto Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    Base model ಠ_à²
    (Former Tacoma owner) 17" Mustang wheels, Eclipse AVN 5435, Deck plate mod, vertical Maglite mount, K&N high-flow air filter, Delta gullwing box, amp, sub, 30 percent tint, floor lighting, tilt activated glove box lighting, lighting behind seat, engine bay lighting, SR5 grill surround, power windows, outside temp display
    I've got a five lugger with cheap tires. I did ok this last winter. I even pulled a big Delta 88 out of the ruts (it took about 10 minutes though). I just threw in some sandbags and piled snow in the bed. It did ok. I just planned my routes to avoid big inclines and carried a snow shovel in the bed. Got stuck about twice a week (being careless).

6. Apr 29, 2011 at 10:06 PM
    Tacoyota

Tacoyota senile member

Member:
    North of Cali, South of Canada
    Vehicle:
    08 4wd
    4.56 gears, rear trutrac,DT header, 235/85r16 Duratracs, 2nd filter pulled, inter.wipers, Cruise control, Factory alum. whls/winter tires(2nd set), Afe pro Dry-S , Dumbo eared flaps cut down.
    Drove in 2wd on the freeway with snow tires several times. Went into 4wd simply because... 1) i have it . 2) everyone driving safe and me too, i didnt want to pass in 2wd, why risk it. Truck didnt slide once. Keep in mind that was around 2" of the nice dry snow too east side of Oregon, not the wet sloppy snow on the west side of Oregon.

4wd gets a lot of people in trouble, they think it makes traction , it cant, it simply takes advantage of traction you have.Driving on the highway simply divides the torque in to 2 parts to 2 axles instead of one, at least thats the short of it.

4wd wont stop you faster either, 2wd you might spin on acceleration some, but once you are steady at speed, and need to stop, its all in the brakes......get good traction once again. Is 4wd better than 2wd on snowy roads , yea , of course. But , just because 4wd is good , that doesnt make 2wd bad... more like 2wd with snow tires is good ....adding 4wd just makes it better. I used to drive a v-8 1983 impala skiing the NW, never had to chain up, used winter tires. PS ,check your state laws, but either way, carry a set of cable chains , i still do with 4wd , like its some talisman warding off evil,even if i havent needed to use em.

7. Apr 30, 2011 at 3:41 AM
    ScottyDaug

ScottyDaug [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2011 Regular Cab 2.7 4X2

Thanks Canadian Girl. I checked out the Shurtrax and it looks like a great system. Most of their products are unavailable on their website right now. They must be seasonal. However I found a compact truck Shurtrax on Ebay for $79 shipped. I bought it, hopefully its condition is good. It said excellant on the listing.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  8. Apr 30, 2011 at 5:01 AM
    Simon's Mom

Simon's Mom Wag More Bark Less

Member:
    First Name:
    Judy or Jude :)
    NEK Island Pond VT
    Vehicle:
    24 Tundra Trd Sport former 13 TRD OR
    Stock for now
    Where in the Northeast? Curious.
    The mid Atlantic or New England?

9. Apr 30, 2011 at 6:16 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    I had a 2wd in upstate NY for about 5 years and never had any problems. Get some good tires, throw some weight in the back either above the rear axles or in front of them. Don't put weight behind the rear axles because it unweights the front (steering and stopping is more important than acceleration). Be light on the skinny pedal and you'll be fine with a 2wd. Most of the time I'm in 2wd in the snow anyways.

10. Apr 30, 2011 at 7:48 AM
    AndrewFalk

AndrewFalk Science!

Member:
    The North East
    Vehicle:
    2010 5 speed 5 lug
    :)
    I think having a 4 cylinder helps as well. I know that my F150 can't get anywhere in the snow in 2wd simply because it has 350+ ft lbs. of torque to the rear wheels and no traction control features what-so-ever.

11. Apr 30, 2011 at 8:01 AM
    Krazie Sj

Krazie Sj Resident Jackass

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Borla Catback Exhaust, Snorkel, 33s on either 16's or 18's, ARB Bumper, All Pro LT w/Walker Evan Shocks front and back, All Pro expedition leaf pack, 10,000lb Superwinch, Intake Manifold Spacer, Bed Rack with ARB RTT, Rotopack and Hi Lift mounted, Husky Liner mats and an air freshener from 1995.
    No, you just need to be easier on the skinny pedal.

Or start off in 2nd or 3rd. That way the back tires won't spin like mad.

Get some good snow tires, go slow around corners and leave plenty of room to stop.

I drove around all winter with Mickey Thompson MTZs, definitely not winter tires. Did fine with them. Even in 2wd. Only engaged 4Hi on the highway with 2" of snow all over the roads.

12. Apr 30, 2011 at 11:12 PM
    Canadian Girl

Canadian Girl Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kim
    Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    07 X Runner
    Billet 5 piece Grille, Pink X-Brace, Pink Devil Horns, Stereo with Sub-X, short shifter, URD intake, Xii street drop, Vinyl custom interior dash,......... for now ;)
    No problem....... I had it in the bed of my xr and winters on..... sure i slid if i tried too....... but the truck was a beast......

The shur-trax paid for it self....... if it saved me from one accident it was worth it.... and my thought is it is secure in the bed and god forbid something does happen it does not become a projectile

Thats a good price. I paid $170 to my door....... but also to Canada right

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  13. Apr 30, 2011 at 11:15 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi

:mad:

14. Apr 30, 2011 at 11:22 PM
    kmok

kmok Plastidipped ma Hootus!

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Columbus, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2005 Subaru Outback XT 5MT
    Where I live most of the vehicles in ditches were fwd cars...OP good tires and sand bags help a lot. Also go easy on the gas and be careful on hills. I had a prerunner in front of me on a snow covered hill and he couldn't get enough traction to move forward. I'm sure better tires or sand bags would have helped him.

15. May 1, 2011 at 8:16 PM
    pjr66255

pjr66255 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Boston
    Vehicle:
    4x2
    Scott,
    I purchased a 2008 2WD Access Cab in Fall of 2007, so I have been through 4 New England winters with it. When I purchased the truck I left the factory tires (some run-of-the-mill Firestone's) on it, but did build a wooden frame that held sand bags over the rear axle, and kept them from sliding around the bed. Going into this most recent winter, my truck needed new tires. I purchased 4 Firestone Winterforce tires. The tires perfomed so well, I did not use any weight in the bed. This winter set several snowfall records in the Northeast, and as an avid skier I was often driving in very snowy conditions to the ski areas of New Hampshire and Maine. I have never had an issue with not having 4WD. That being said, you will have to drive smart, and take it easy; don't expect to scale a 40 degree hill from a standstill, don't expect to come to quick smooth stop at 60mph in 4 inches of snow, etc. The only positive thing I can think of about a 4WD Tacoma is it looks better. That's it. Everything else, in my opinion, is a detriment to the performance, and cost effectiveness of the vehicle.

Hope this helps.
    Patrick

GTBCKUP likes this.
  16. May 2, 2011 at 8:24 AM
    kmok

kmok Plastidipped ma Hootus!

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Columbus, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2005 Subaru Outback XT 5MT
    Have you heard of the tacoma prerunner? A 2wd tacoma with a 4wd tacoma suspension. Looks exactly like a 4wd tacoma. So what you're saying is 2wd is better than 4wd right? :facepalm:

17. May 4, 2011 at 6:29 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    The heavier trucks will actually do better in the snow on roadways. You need to put more weight in the back though and go easy on the gas so you ease off the start and don't just sit there and spin. Unweighted, the full size 2wd trucks suck in the snow because they're so heavy in the front and extremely light in the rear. Balance out the weight distribution with sand bags in the bed, get some good tires and the 2wd full size will do great in the snow. I prefer the heavier trucks in the snow, they don't get pushed around as easily in slush and snow drifts.

18. May 4, 2011 at 6:51 AM
    MQQSE

MQQSE Bannable Galloot

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob III
    Palmer, Alaska
    Vehicle:
    "Stitch" Still Stock Concept Truck
    Shtuff
    Most has been said here, but main points:

1) Drive with respect for conditions...extra space and slow down.

2) Some additional weight in bed will help a lot.

3) Tires are the most important piece IMHO

...first 8 yrs in Alaska I ran studded winter tires...this last year I changed to studless Bridgestone Blizzaks...they beat all studded tires I've ever run before (from Nokian to Hankook).
    They are pricey...and so is running two sets of tires (Winter & Summer). But if you can afford it...it's worth the investment...you've heard of "where the rubber hits the road"...

My two cents FWIW :cool:

19. May 4, 2011 at 7:35 AM
    franzcars

franzcars I'm different, in a different way

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    ST.louis MO
    Vehicle:
    08 Base Taco I4
    Plasti-dipped rims, blacked out Taco logos, small interior mods, AFE prodry drop-in, DJM 3/4 drop, Viper alarm, Power locks, Fogs, Viper 305 alarm, Kenwood HU
    i guess im kinda screwed. i live in Missouri and dont hav abs or traction control. but the clutch should help i think. ill prolly throw some weight in the back to help.

20. May 4, 2011 at 7:44 AM
    norcal4banger

norcal4banger 11-98 MUD

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    Far Northern California
    Vehicle:
    2005 4 Cylinder 2WD 5 Lug RC Tacoma
    These are the tires I run in 235/75/15. My 5 Lugger 2WD does suprisingly well in the snow but I still wish I had a 4x4. I've always had chains but never used em, even I probably should have over some of the vertical hills in the mountains. I also put 4 decently sized sand bags right against the tailgate.

Heres the tires I run: Cooper ST A/Ts
    [​IMG]

GTBCKUP likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top