1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Anyone else have a 2WD in an area that gets snow?

Discussion in '4 Cylinder' started by ScottyDaug, Apr 28, 2011.

1. May 10, 2011 at 8:04 AM
    BlueT

BlueT Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    I moded 1999 Taco so much it had turned to Land Cruiser
    Blizzaks are probably best winter tire there is. Unfortunately for 2wd vehicle which is also RWD there is not much you can do to make big improvement in traction for winter. Your idea with mud terrains is good, not sure which ones you have but I can tell you my Wrangler MT\R are awesome on snow. If you dont want to deal with screws I would buy widest MT\R's I can fit on the rear axle and when winter comes in I would deflate them to 10 Psi or lower. Add some extra weight to the bed ( probably no more then 200 LB)
    As the weight goes, it is best to figure out how much weight you need to balance beetween front and rear. So if you have truck scale around, weight your front and then back. add difference to the back to have equal weight between axles.

2. May 10, 2011 at 2:13 PM
    AndrewFalk

AndrewFalk Science!

Member:
    The North East
    Vehicle:
    2010 5 speed 5 lug
    :)
    Wider tires and airing down will only really help on fresh, deep powder. For most snowy conditions narrower tires are much better.

3. May 10, 2011 at 3:44 PM
    Tacoyota

Tacoyota senile member

Member:
    North of Cali, South of Canada
    Vehicle:
    08 4wd
    4.56 gears, rear trutrac,DT header, 235/85r16 Duratracs, 2nd filter pulled, inter.wipers, Cruise control, Factory alum. whls/winter tires(2nd set), Afe pro Dry-S , Dumbo eared flaps cut down.
    Specific mud terrains, like G.Y. duratrax, are severe weather rated, good for snow,maybe not as good as a blizzak for pure winter , but still very good. Either a winter tread , studs , or severe weather rated will do for the most part as far as tires go. tire rack has a good comparison system of tires by catagory.

4. May 11, 2011 at 2:48 AM
    ScottyDaug

ScottyDaug [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2011 Regular Cab 2.7 4X2
    MQQSE.. thanks for the study. Very good information. I am leaning heavily towards some good studless snow tires.

5. May 11, 2011 at 3:02 AM
    MQQSE

MQQSE Bannable Galloot

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob III
    Palmer, Alaska
    Vehicle:
    "Stitch" Still Stock Concept Truck
    Shtuff
    Your welcome...glad it helped! :)

EDIT: Forgot to add you still run them as dedicated winter tires...need to have a set of summer tires. Reason is the rubber compound is so soft it'll wear really fast on hot roads. No problem in the winter...mine have 1 season on them and look nearly as good as when I first put them on last October.

6. May 19, 2011 at 1:00 PM
    ValleyBlacksmith

ValleyBlacksmith Member

Member:
    New York Finger Lakes
    Vehicle:
    2WD Auto 4 banger
    Living in Western New York and splitting my time between Geneseo and Buffalo (65 miles apart) I think I am qualified to answer. I have more than 25 Buffalo winters of driving under my belt and no accidents in all of it. Yes, I have been the ditch rider a time or ten but most of those mishaps were due to ice, not snow, or being forced off the road by idiots.
    I think it all depends on how you drive, not what you drive. Attitude is everything, you simply must respect the conditions and drive accordingly or you are going to lose, period. It's not a game. Ignore the obvious and take a cavalier attitude and that could mean finding yourself sideways in the wrong lane and getting t-boned by oncoming traffic.
    I have never owned a 4x4 in my life and have lived here among the lake effect snow belts all my life. Most of that time I drove front wheel drive four cylinder compacts and never felt at a loss for it, honestly. I have had V-8 rear wheel drive full size pick ups and would take a front wheel drive car over them for winter driving every time. I have never run studded tires either, all season radials, the cheap ones more often than not.
    I do however prefer a stick over a standard and absolutely abhor ABS but that's just me.
    I got my Tacoma 2WD four banger automatic with stock rubber just before the snow flew last fall. I loved it, great winter driving vehicle -IF- you know how to drive that type in the snow. That is key, you have to know your vehicle and how it performs in different conditions. I like that it is not as heavy as an F-150 or a Scottsdale and a little shorter.
    For someone who has no winter driving experience I recommend going to an unplowed parking lot or some other secluded large space and cut loose a bit, go nuts and see what happens. Not a rural road because roads have ditches, parking lots don't (but they do have light poles). This is the only way to gain a feel for how to operate and react. You can't learn it from a book.

7. May 31, 2011 at 12:12 PM
    GVY

GVY All those moments will be lost in time

Member:
    First Name:
    Guy
    FT Bragg
    Vehicle:
    98 Tacoma 2.7L SR5
    Bushwacker Cut-Out Fender Flares, ARB Winch Bull Bar, 3" All Pro Bilstein Coilovers, All Pro UCAs, Wheeler Off Road Custom Rear Bumper, All Pro Standard Leaf Pack, Bilstein 5125 rear shocks, All Pro steel-braided brake lines, U-Bolt flip kit, JBA cat-back exhaust, KC 6" Daylighters & 2x6" driving lights, AFE Pro Dry Air Filter, Deck plate mod, Toytec 1" shackles, Rhinolined bed, Tiregate Prerunner, Procomp 85 gloss black steel wheels, 285/75/16 Toyo Open Country M/Ts
    This might help, or it might not. I was in Fairbanks, AK for three years with my 98 Tacoma. It pretty much stayed in 4WD the whole winter, which was about nine months out of the year, but I did put it in 2WD occasionally. As long as I let off the gas on turns, especially at highway speeds, there wasn't a problem with the ice. I made a little rig to put some bags on concrete over my axles for extra traction and it was fine on straightaways. All it really did, even in 4WD, was make me start to fishtail around turns because of all that extra weight in the back. Overall, as long as you know how to drive in the snow and not act like an idiot then 2WD will be fine.

8. May 31, 2011 at 7:46 PM
    frog13

frog13 Well-Known Member

Member:
    All I've read about 2wd "vs." 4wd is quite interesting.I believe the 2wd's LSD(limited slip differential)is key for the 2wd Tacoma driver....my 1992 Ford F-150 did not have a LSD and was a nightmare in the white stuff.But,I'm still debating with myself on 2wd or 4wd when I purchase a Tacoma.....time will tell.

9. May 31, 2011 at 8:54 PM
    IDtrucks

IDtrucks Unhinged and Fluid

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark "Buck"
    Jackson Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    96' X-Cab 4x4 TRD Off Road Clusterfuck
    JVC Deck, 10" sub mountd in rear seat cubby, 2 LED off road lights mounted in grille, amber raptor style grille lights, LED rock lights, square led bed light, custom made fuse block tray, 12 blade Blue Sea fuse block, 100a marine circuit breaker, black plasti dipped full grille, tinted tail lights + third, Uniden 520 with 4' firestik, Bilstein 5100s with 620lb Eibach coils, Diff drop, Chevy 63 leaf swap, TG creeper joints, 14" triangulated biletein 5125s, 8" extended steel braided brake line, TG Rock Sliders, CBI Moab 1.0 front bumper, custom fabbed bed rack, full TRD E-Locker axle swap and matching re-gear with custom stand alone wiring circuit, 29 spline pinion flange from an 06 wishbone runner, tubbed for 35x12.5" general grabbers on Ultra type 181 wheels, crush sleeve eliminator, Mini ARB compressor, front ARB locker, garage fab aluminum front skid plate, custom built high clearence rear bumper, removable mothafuckin doors
    my 99 2wd does fine in the snow. Its the ice thats the problem. When the roads were iced over it took me an entire green light to crawl at 2 mph through an intersection from a dead stop. Good thing i was the only one at the light. It also probably doesent help that i have street tires, and didnt have any weight in the back because my tailgate was off being fixed. But even with sand, ice is an absolute nightmare on anything other than 4wd

10. Jun 1, 2011 at 4:31 AM
    TacomaPrime

TacomaPrime Cybertronian Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Gregory
    Illinois
    Vehicle:
    14 TRD sport 4x4 Barcelona Red
    Weathertech front floor liners, window vent visors. Custom bedside decals. OEM bed mat, tonneau covrew. Added D rings to bed.
    I'll have a 2wd here in a couple weeks. I am coming from a WRX that I ran blizzaks on in the winter. That thing was invincible in the winter. But I really only needed the AWD, 2 MAYBE 3 times during the winter when we got alot of snow. My plan for the 2wd taco is to drive it differently (it's a truck afterall, not a sedan) and to get a second set of rims and snow tires. Driver skill is a big thing, but snow tires are a close second.

11. Jun 18, 2011 at 2:17 PM
    4Wheelin4Banger

4Wheelin4Banger Supercharged Toyman

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    Ferntucky, NV Halfway between Reno & Falabama
    Vehicle:
    2011 4x4 Access Cab Supercharged Silver State Edition 245WHP
    3" OME lift 885s & Dakars riding on 33" KM2s
    2wd '95 was our snowmobile before we got 2011 4x4 Acces. I lined the spair rim with cardboard then plastic filled it with concrete. That was my winter weight that didn't take up bed space and was removable in summer. Tires are 4 season with cables when needed. Still have 2wd '95 to haul firewood out of mountains.

12. Jun 26, 2011 at 1:47 PM
    worthywads

worthywads Well-Known Member

Member:
    Peoples Republic of Boulder
    Vehicle:
    05 5-lug access I4 Stick, 70 Challenger Vert
    I've driven 2wd small trucks living in WI, IA and CO over the last 23 years and rwd cars in WI since 1978.

I add 4 bags of tube sand to the bed each winter and haven't gotten stuck yet.

real_sunny_lee likes this.
  13. Jun 28, 2011 at 12:10 PM
    patrat

patrat New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    03 Reg Cab, 2wd 5 spd 2RZ-FE
    I got around just fine last winter in Denver. 3 tubes of sand + 1 bag of salt by the tailgate, with studded snow tires. I had to intentionally be a hooligan to slide it out and around.

Prior to the Taco was an 1987 Porsche 944 (RWD) with snow tires, similar experience.

Good tires and weight distribution, slow and *smooth*, plus experience/skill is all you need.

If your 2wd gets stuck past that, consider it a safety "fuse" - you shouldnt be driving in that weather, and stopping could be very difficult in an area that requires 4wd for forward progress.

14. Sep 14, 2022 at 3:38 PM
    real_sunny_lee

real_sunny_lee New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prerunner SR5 2WD DBL Cab LB
    Reinforced leaf spring; BFG Trail Terrain T/A
    New owner, and I’m too curious how this handles. I will update this winter. But so far below is what I’ve found…

Out here in Colorado.
    Running BFGoodrich Trail Terrain T/A
    Stock 265/65/17

Hey Engineering Explained has a great video that breaks down the maximum traction by weight. It looks like for my truck it’s like 55/45 weight distribution and with the engine and cabin weight on front wheels vs bed on rear, I’ll need about 300 pounds. Any more weight and you’re just compromising gas mileage and increasing mass so when you do slide, you’ll slide faster and longer.

15. Sep 14, 2022 at 3:51 PM
    islandhiker

islandhiker Well-Known Member

Member:
    Drove an ambulance for 6 months over an arctic winter last year, 2WD chevy crestline. Weight in the back, good snow tires and driving in slow motion. No problems at all.

16. Sep 14, 2022 at 7:07 PM
    DJR81

DJR81 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 5 lug 4 speed auto
    You may wanna get a set of winter tires too in CO. Or duratracs

95SLE likes this.
  17. Sep 16, 2022 at 7:09 PM
    AxisCab

AxisCab Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Bumville, or some dam place
    Vehicle:
    2018 2.7L 2WD Auto6, utility Axis Cab
    firewood scratches, Labrador hair/slobber, American flag sticker, Total Chaos bed stiffener, Scepter H20 can, onboard air
    one word: real snow tires

95SLE likes this.
  18. Sep 17, 2022 at 9:24 PM
    69 Jim

69 Jim 4-word Jimmy

Member:
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    2013 Standard Cab 4x4
    That's three words.

95SLE likes this.
  19. Sep 18, 2022 at 2:14 PM
    AxisCab

AxisCab Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Bumville, or some dam place
    Vehicle:
    2018 2.7L 2WD Auto6, utility Axis Cab
    firewood scratches, Labrador hair/slobber, American flag sticker, Total Chaos bed stiffener, Scepter H20 can, onboard air
    "that's the joke"

20. Sep 18, 2022 at 6:06 PM
    69 Jim

69 Jim 4-word Jimmy

Member:
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    2013 Standard Cab 4x4
    Like rocket surgery. I get it.:D

AxisCab[QUOTED] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top