1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Anyone else running Linux?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by RioNovo, Jun 7, 2009.

1. Jun 7, 2009 at 4:37 PM
    RioNovo

RioNovo [OP] Arizona Native

Member:
    Tempe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    03 4x4 TRD SR5
    Bed liner, Bed Extender, Vision Shell, Alpine Speakers and Alpine Amp, Sway-A-Way coil overs up front, Deaver 6 pack in the rear, 285/75 R16 L/Ts on blacked out alloy wheels, All Pro Sliders, 1000w Power Inverter, SSB/AM CB, Gray Wire Mod, Constant 12v Power Outlet Mod, Deckplate Mod, Open Door Warning Disabled, More to Come!
    I cut my computing teeth back in the day on MS-DOS then Windows 3.0, and from there moved on to each new OS that Microsoft came up with until Vista. Vista in its original configuration was too much of a headache to mess with, so like most of the rest of the world I stayed with XP Professional as my OS of choice.

About four years ago I began looking into Linux as an alternate OS, seeking something that didn't have the problems associated with it that Windows is famous for. Since that time I've come to appreciate and enjoy what the open source Linux community has to offer. Beginning with Ubuntu 5.04, I've run lots of different Linux distros on my desktop, including but not limited to Ubuntu, PCLinuxOS, Mepis, OpenSUSE, and Linux MINT.

I've settled on Linux MINT 7.0 as my OS of choice, finding it to be a pleasure to run as well as a superior desktop replacement for Windows. Linux MINT 7.0, based on the new Ubuntu 9.04, simply makes that great OS even better with custom tweaks and out of the box enhancements that Ubuntu doesn't deliver. A good site for anyone who may be at all interested in all that's going on the the world of Linux these days is www.distrowatch.com..

Anyway, just wondering who else is running Linux on their desktop or laptop here on TW?

2. Jun 7, 2009 at 4:42 PM
    pittim

pittim mittip backwards

Member:
    Pennsyltucky
    Vehicle:
    Boujee Prius
    It’sa Lexus, boogie woogie woogie
    I'm dual booting Windows (XP now, going to put vista on tonight probably) and Ubuntu.

3. Jun 7, 2009 at 4:55 PM
    RioNovo

Member:
    Tempe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    03 4x4 TRD SR5
    Bed liner, Bed Extender, Vision Shell, Alpine Speakers and Alpine Amp, Sway-A-Way coil overs up front, Deaver 6 pack in the rear, 285/75 R16 L/Ts on blacked out alloy wheels, All Pro Sliders, 1000w Power Inverter, SSB/AM CB, Gray Wire Mod, Constant 12v Power Outlet Mod, Deckplate Mod, Open Door Warning Disabled, More to Come!
    So which version of Vista are you going to install? ..I've tried most of them over time, and don't like any of them very much. I did download the new Windows 7 release candidate and tried it out. It's miles better in every way than Vista, although still not without its drawbacks and problems. Still not sure that Microsoft will ever really get it right, but at least with Windows 7 they're coming closer. Maybe not enough to convince me to switch from Linux MINT 7.0, but enough I'm guessing to keep a lot of their fans tagging along for the $$$ ride!

If you do install Vista and dual boot to Ubuntu 9.04 it probably won't be long until you'll be ready to stick with Ubuntu and kick Vista out of bed.

4. Jun 7, 2009 at 4:59 PM
    pittim

pittim mittip backwards

Member:
    Pennsyltucky
    Vehicle:
    Boujee Prius
    Business x86. I'm getting it for free thru my school. I've been dual booting XP and Ubuntu since around January this year. There's some things that Ubuntu does really well, and things that it doesn't...which is why I dual boot :D

I've heard good things about Windows 7 RC...might have to get that somewhere and try it out.

5. Jun 7, 2009 at 5:07 PM
    idle42

idle42 Member

Member:
    San Joaquin valley, California
    Vehicle:
    09 4 cyl manual access SR5
    My XP committed suicide about a year ago. Since then my only OS is Ubuntu. Its an easy equal to XP, and the open source software is pleasant to use (especially since its not microsoft).

6. Jun 7, 2009 at 10:14 PM
    RioNovo

Member:
    Tempe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    03 4x4 TRD SR5
    x2 on the "not Microsoft"!

Running Linux MINT 7.0, being that it's based on Ubuntu 9.04, means I have the advantages and performance of Ubuntu with all the custom tweaks and bundled extras the Mint team builds into their distro. I'm running it on my Dell m6300 core2 laptop, and to my way of thinking there's nothing out there that comes close -- Windows 7 no exception.

Don't get me wrong, I think the release of W7 will be a relatively good OS from Microsoft's perspective, certainly better than Vista. However there's nothing I can't do using Linux MINT, an open source OS that's FREE to download and install, plus it offers tons of FREE open source programs that will do anything and everything I need done.

When you think about it, Win XP, Vista, and W7 all require considerable expendatures of cash to purchase and install, then they require additional purchases for whatever propriatary programs you want to run. Pretty soon it's easy to have a large amount of money tied up in putting together an operating system that works like you want it to, money you'd otherwise be able to spend on something that really matters -- like new wheels and tires for your Tacoma!!

7. Jun 8, 2009 at 5:43 AM
    pittim

pittim mittip backwards

Member:
    Pennsyltucky
    Vehicle:
    Boujee Prius
    So I put Vista on last night and now grub bootloader wont show up...it goes right to vista. might install this mint 7.0 that Rio is talking about haha.

8. Jun 8, 2009 at 7:43 AM
    RioNovo

Member:
    Tempe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    03 4x4 TRD SR5
    You'll love it if you do! It's Ubuntu done right, with all the tweaks and extras that you'd end up wanting to install yourself if you went with Ubuntu. Makes the whole Ubuntu experience better right out of the box than you'd believe without trying it yourself..

The 64 bit version is being prepared but is not yet available. You can run Linux MINT 6.0 in the 64 bit version, but if you really want or need a 64 bit OS I'd say wait awhile and let the Mint team finish polishing MINT 7.0 64 bit.

In the meanwhile running the 36 bit x86 version of MINT 7.0 is not going to disappoint in any way. Takes about 20 minutes typically to install, and from that point on it'll be nothing but smooth sailing without $$$ or strings attached in any way.

..Can't beat it with a stick!!

9. Jun 10, 2009 at 11:54 AM
    RioNovo

Member:
    Tempe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    03 4x4 TRD SR5
    http://www.linuxminthcl.org/browse/product+nvidia-9800gtx?id=6646

Check it out.. The reviewer states that his Nvidia 9800GTX+"Works Great! No problems with this video card at all."

You'll have to install the new Nvidia driver to have your card running at its full potential, but with Linux MINT 7 or Ubuntu 9.04 that's a very easy task to accomplish using the wizard that pops up to walk you through it.

Let us know how it goes once you've got the new drive in place and MINT 7 installed!

Products Discussed in

To Top