1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Anyone Else Unsatisfied with L90 (Gas Pedal Recall hoakie fix)

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by ob1, Sep 10, 2010.

1. Sep 11, 2010 at 7:18 AM
    tegdog

tegdog Taco Lover

Member:
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma Dbl TRD Sport
    ventvisors,seatcovers, bug shield,TRD CAI,TRD CAT BACK,blacked out emblems,bed extender, TSB leaf pack,Pro Dry filter, Grill craft upper, lower, & triangles, Hella 500 Black magics
    Jan,

"The U.S. Department of Transportation has analyzed dozens of data recorders from Toyota Motor Corp. vehicles involved in accidents blamed on sudden acceleration and found that the throttles were wide open and the brakes weren't engaged at the time of the crash, people familiar with the findings said.

The U.S. Department of Transportation found that throttles were wide open and brakes not engaged on Toyotas involved in accidents blamed on sudden acceleration, said people familiar with the matter. "

How would your precious butchered pedal or the brake cut out have helped these people? Just another example of people needing to blame others for their mistakes, total lack of personal accountability. Someone panicked and jammed on the gas not the brake this is not the issue the fear mongers have made it out to be IMO.

Also, Press Release from Toyota:

"If the accelerator pedal sticks in a partially open throttle position or returns slowly to idle position, the vehicle can be controlled with firm and steady application of the brakes. Don't pump the brakes because it could deplete the vacuum assist. That would make it even harder to depress the brake pedal. The brakes will stop the vehicle no matter the throttle position. When under control, the vehicle should be driven to the nearest safe location and the engine should be turned off. Contact a Toyota dealer as soon as possible for assistance."

Makes sense to me unless you were to freak out and jam the gas to floor w/o even touching the brakes while calling 911 for help. This fix is probably needed for a small % of the population but IMO those people shouldn't be on road to begin with.

And Finally From Toyota:

What is the problem that could cause accelerators to stick and led to the recall?
    The issue involves a friction device in the pedal designed to provide the proper “feel” by adding resistance and making the pedal steady and stable.

This friction device includes a “shoe” that rubs against an adjoining surface during normal pedal operation. Due to the materials used, wear and environmental conditions, these surfaces may, over time, begin to stick and release instead of operating smoothly. In some cases, friction could increase to a point that the pedal is slow to return to the idle position or, in rare cases, the pedal sticks, leaving the throttle partially open.

What is the solution Toyota announced to fix sticking accelerator pedals?
    Toyota’s engineers have developed and rigorously tested a solution that is both effective and simple. A precision-cut steel reinforcement bar will be installed into the accelerator pedal assembly, thereby eliminating the excess friction that has caused pedals to stick in rare instances.

How does a steel reinforcement bar solve this problem?
    The steel reinforcement bar will reduce the surface tension between the friction shoe and the adjoining surface. With this reinforcement in place, the excess friction that can cause the pedal to stick is eliminated.

Now this actually makes sense, an issue in the assembly not the length of pedal itself, notice they don't even mention butchering the pedal, know why because the whole floor mat thing was BS. Now this I can see may actually be a problem worth fixing however not willing to get my pedal chopped to do it. Toyota already admits its not the death sentence you think since "The brakes will stop the vehicle no matter what the throttle position." So in closing Janster, get off your soap box just because not all of us are sheep like you, doesn't make you right. Bah Bah :)

2. Sep 11, 2010 at 7:33 AM
    fjm0008

fjm0008 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    Annapolis
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 LB White
    Sirius Starmate and ipod integration w/Pay15 Toy USA Spec, Hardwired Radar Detector and GPS, DRL Mod,Tailgate Anti Theft mod, Hi Lift Jack, CB Radio, Back up sensors, Front 30% tint, Leer 100R Cap, Weathertech, Under hood light and 12V outlet, D Rings, N-FAB Step Bars, Bed Mat, Yakima Bike Rack, OEM Roof Rack
    Jandrews is correct, the problem does not exist. The lawsuits do no legitimize imaginary things.

3. Sep 11, 2010 at 7:47 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    And your telling me all this for.....???

Soap box? Nope.

You people can choose to not have the recall done. That's fine. But I hope to god something doesn't happen and don't end up killing innocent people because you think you know more than Toyota does.

4. Sep 11, 2010 at 7:59 AM
    fjm0008

fjm0008 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    Annapolis
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 LB White
    Sirius Starmate and ipod integration w/Pay15 Toy USA Spec, Hardwired Radar Detector and GPS, DRL Mod,Tailgate Anti Theft mod, Hi Lift Jack, CB Radio, Back up sensors, Front 30% tint, Leer 100R Cap, Weathertech, Under hood light and 12V outlet, D Rings, N-FAB Step Bars, Bed Mat, Yakima Bike Rack, OEM Roof Rack
    I don't think I know more than them, I actually came to the same conclusion as Toyota and the Dept of Transportation, there is no problem but Toyota spent more on PR than research on this and figured out a way to defuse the situation, hack saw and get rid of the all of the extra floor mats they had. Brilliant. I am not that smart, I probably would have come up with something like the software for the catastrophic converter needs to be rewritten and has failed causing the muffler bearing to fail, causing an increase in exhaust backpressure which caused an increase in RPM's on Tuesday if you are wearing Chuck Taylors.

5. Sep 11, 2010 at 8:19 AM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    The term "crying wolf" comes directly to mind.

See tegdog's post above. Sudden acceleration is, to date, the most obvious (but far from the first) problem that doesn't exist created entirely by the media.

Ever since 9/11 people in this country seem to be willing to run scared of anything the news bleats about. It's unfortunate. Americans used to have some toughness and demanded dubious claims be proven to them. Now, it's whatever FOXCNNMSNBC news tells them to think. It's been fascinating to watch media moguls condition the public to swallow whatever they say.

Wake up sheeple...the data tells a different story. This. Problem. Does. Not. Exist.

You. Are. Being. Scared. By. People. In. Power. So. They. Can. Stay. In. Power.

A good dose of Bill Hicks tells it like it is, as always:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-64LTQfpKes

6. Sep 11, 2010 at 9:01 AM
    SierraMare

SierraMare Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ted
    Alaska
    Vehicle:
    2001 TRD OffRoad Xtracab, stepside bed, 2.7 L, 5-speed manual
    ARE cap, BFG KO2 (LT 245/75R16), Front Bilstein 5100 with OME 2881 coils, Rear HS 3-leaf progressive AAL.
    Some interesting side conversations, but here's one observation I have made. I had the recall work done, and frankly, I never LOOK at the gas pedal in normal driving. I have never had anyone to my knowledge LOOK at my gas pedal. The chopped pedal has the same foot FEEL as pre-cut.

This debate is really pretty simple-- don't get it done if you don't want a chopped pedal. If you want the recall done, but are really concerned about gas pedal appearance, purchase an after market one that actually gets someone excited who cares to look at it. I personally find no difference between "chopped" and "stock", and I appreciate the ECU reflash which has improved my '06's cruise control function... Oh yeah, it doesn't bother me that I have a "chopped" gas pedal on my 30 k truck, since I use it as a truck...

To each their own, but this "outrage" is getting a bit old. Aren't there more interesting threads to post?

7. Sep 11, 2010 at 9:07 AM
    tegdog

tegdog Taco Lover

Member:
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma Dbl TRD Sport
    ventvisors,seatcovers, bug shield,TRD CAI,TRD CAT BACK,blacked out emblems,bed extender, TSB leaf pack,Pro Dry filter, Grill craft upper, lower, & triangles, Hella 500 Black magics
    I am telling you this because you seem to be totally oblivious to the real issue @ hand. You come on here telling us all that we must get the fix for our own safety, however the investigation has proven that the vehicles in questioned crashed due to operator error.Wouldn't you call it operator error if a vehicle crashed @ full throttle with the brakes not even being applied? Even if the throttle did stick according to Toyota themselves the vehicle will be stopped by brakes alone - so I guess just like many others posting in this thread I don't understand your argument whatsoever and really don't appreciate your superior & motherly tone you have taken in making it. Toyota is running scared since the frame rot, then floor mat debacle, and now the gas pedals - their quality has went downhill since they started using more American suppliers.Hate to admit it but its true my sister in law works @ the Princeton plant in a upper management position and even she says thats the problem - not manufacturing but the damn parts suppliers. You can assemble a vehicle well but if you use shit parts you get a shit product. Just can't admit when your wrong can you Jan!!:)

8. Sep 12, 2010 at 6:05 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    You guys have totally misunderstood my entire point... What exactly am I wrong about?

Am I supposed to admit that I'm wrong for getting the recall done?

9. Sep 12, 2010 at 6:16 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:

You guys have TOTALLY blown this out of proportion and have totally misunderstood my SIMPLE point of view. Simple....
    Sorry, but I didn't watch the video because I simply don't care.

10. Sep 12, 2010 at 6:26 AM
    Larry

Larry CARL

Member:
    CARL
    I do not believe you are wrong for having the recall done.

You may be misguided if you believe there is an actual issue with the pedal/mats, beyond Toyota doing a CYA brought on by the lawyers...the media...and political correctness.

Example:
    Some have said that the hood scoop on the Tacoma Sport throws a glare into the windshield in certain lighting conditions...

I promise you...if someone driving a Tacoma Sport w/ hood scoop gets killed in an accident, or kills someone else in said accident...

AND, a lawyer can convince a judge that the "hood scoop glare" was the contributing factor...

Then the media gets a hold of the story...

You will NEVER see another Tacoma produced with a factory hood scoop.

NOW...in the above scenario, if Toyota did a recall and cut off the hood scoop and replaced it with a flat filler "plug"...would you want that done to your new 30 thousand dollar truck?

11. Sep 12, 2010 at 6:41 AM
    Larry

Larry CARL

Member:
    CARL
    Jan...It's a slippery slope.

Another example:

As a Corvette owner, you may appreciate/understand this...

When the 1963 split window Sting Ray was introduced...a political activist fool, Ralph Nader made big hay over the "safety issue" of that split rear window. Enough so that because of media pressure and political correctness (yes it existed back then in smaller doses, hence the "slippery slope")...GM removed the split rear window and in turn ruined the lines of the "Shark" styling developed by Zora Duntov. That split was the shark spine that ran fron the roof to tail. Zora fought tooth & nail but in the end was over-ruled by the GM corp geeks.

Fast forward to today...the new C6 Vette coupe has a strange double curvature to the rear glass that in some lighting conditions make it near impossible to see out of.

Plus, there are dozens...maybe hundreds of vehicles with less rear visibility produced today than the '63 Sting Ray Coupe. Seen a Lotus Elise? OMG

My point?

Media...lawyers...government...and corporations are destroying your freedoms and your liberty.

Now, I don't blame Toyota...to them it's all about market share and profits. However, it saddens me to see so many Americans turning into sheep living off the politically correct kool-aide.

OK...I'm off my soap box. I need to go get ready for church, where I will pray for our liberty.

12. Sep 12, 2010 at 7:29 AM
    jandrews

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat

This. Having the recall done is fine if you want to do so. Not having it done is equally fine because there is no problem with our trucks and there never was. The only reason to get the recall done would be to help resale, or CYA in the event you misapply the pedals and run over someone's kid. Even then, the black box will show it's not a problem with the truck, just that the driver can't drive.

My digression into people in modern America being idiots may have been a bit off topic. I stand by it, however.

Anyway, Larry is right - this is a CYA by Toyota as if they'd told the truth, the only thing the media would've done was hurt them more.

13. Sep 12, 2010 at 7:40 AM
    tegdog

tegdog Taco Lover

Member:
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma Dbl TRD Sport
    Alright poor choice of words on my part I can admit when I have overstepped.
    I never intended to say that you are wrong in getting the TSB, I do feel you are wrong in your assumption that everyone else should.

It's not so much what you say but the arrogant attitude you seem to take in telling the rest of us how to live our lives. We are all adults here many of us with families of our own, I for one don't need to be brow beat or lectured by someone who doesn't even know me about getting a recall for a problem that an investigation seems to prove just does not exist.

I think nearly all of the other post in this thread seem to agree that the issue is not really an issue at all - enough said I am out.

14. Sep 12, 2010 at 11:40 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    It's a RECALL.

Recalls are put into effect for a reason. Regardless of all the media & governmental hype (or whatever you guys refer to it as). Recalls are a safety issue and I trust that the American people (engineers, scientists or good old fashioned experienced Americans doing their jobs) are doing their part to protect fellow Americans.

I know I've probably said this before somewhere....

Egg Recall - Would you risk eating recalled eggs just because you don't believe the hype & media? Does this qualify as being an overblown media hype and that the people who have gotten sick ...they don't exist? OR wait...they didn't get sick at all?

Again, I TRUST that the systems in place that put forth the recalls - are there to protect us.

15. Sep 12, 2010 at 11:54 AM
    gologit

gologit Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    In the redwoods.
    Vehicle:
    2023 SR5 4x4 long bed
    Nothing major or fancy. Just stuff to make it work better for me. Running boards, seat covers, BakFlip
    Well said. I had the recall done. I can't tell the difference. My insurance company can and will deny a claim resulting from an ignored recall item if it causes an accident.

And...if anybody wants to crawl down onto my floorboards, amongst the dirt and tree bark and assorted crud that accumulates during a week of heavy use on mostly unpaved roads, and take a close look at my gas peddle they're probably too weird to take seriously anyway. ;)

16. Sep 12, 2010 at 12:14 PM
    jandrews

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    Not in this case. Toyota's alternative was to tell the truth - that there is no problem. This would've caused the media and public to label them as denialists and cover-ups...which they did anyway, even when Toyota issued the meaningless "recall".

So yes, if you want the "real" reason for the recall, it was to preserve Toyota's image and sales. The alternative would have hurt them more on the business front.

Remember the 1970s Pinto non-recall? This is just business for these companies.

Just like airport security? Not really - as George Carlin said, airport security serves one purpose, and this recall is similar - to give white people living in the suburbs the illusion of safety.

You can test an egg for the presence of a contaminant. The investigation into Toyota showed driver error EVERY TIME. Let me ask you this: If a large batch of eggs were recalled, tested, and found normal, would you think the eggs had a problem?

No offense, but if yes, then you're not thinking rationally.

Well, there's your problem - trusting big media, large corporations, and politicians. You should stop.

Once again, if you want that recall performed, go for it - there are advantages in terms of insurance coverage and resale value.

I myself will never be selling my Tacoma and don't have time for silly games.

17. Sep 12, 2010 at 12:33 PM
    tegdog

tegdog Taco Lover

Member:
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma Dbl TRD Sport
    X 2, no sheep here. :)

18. Sep 12, 2010 at 12:34 PM
    tegdog

tegdog Taco Lover

Member:
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma Dbl TRD Sport
    Bah, Bah!:p

19. Sep 12, 2010 at 12:36 PM
    Kyouto42

Kyouto42 Iron Beard

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Vehicle:
    BSP '10 4x4 TRD Off-Road DC
    See build thread in signature
    I suppose you belive ObamaCare and his economic practices are good for the economy too because the media says so right? Or Kraft Mac and Cheese is good for you because it has calcium? lol...

This country has become a nation of sheep, no one seems to stop and think for themselves anymore.

My truck will not have the pedal replaced, simple as that. I may try to get the reflash only for the transmission shifting though (even though I despise the brake/acceleration bit. Not because I ever need that situation, but because it's one more aspect of losing control of the vehicle I'm driving).

20. Sep 12, 2010 at 12:39 PM
    xJuice

xJuice My spoon is too Big!

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    N. Texas
    Vehicle:
    19 Tundra MGM
    TRD Front & Rear Sway Bar, TRD Pro LED Headlights, Undercover SE, Rear diff. Relocate, console organizer, debadged, color matched handles, mirror caps, and grill

Products Discussed in

To Top