1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Anyone Else Unsatisfied with L90 (Gas Pedal Recall hoakie fix)

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by ob1, Sep 10, 2010.

1. Sep 12, 2010 at 4:02 PM
    jpmorrisvb

jpmorrisvb Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jimmy
    Virginia Beach
    Vehicle:
    2014 Barcelona Red TRD Off-Road PreRunner
    Clazzio seat covers, KB Voodoo Powder Coated Tailgate Cap, OEM running boards, ImMrYo Rear-View Mirror Lift Bracket, 35% Tinted windows, EGR window vents, color matched door handles and tail gate lift, WeatherTech FloorLiners, OEM bed mat, sound dampening on rear wall and rear doors, on anytime foglight mod
    How about the "sheep followers" in Holy Loch? That is a funny story. :D

2. Sep 12, 2010 at 4:04 PM
    OffroadToy

OffroadToy old, forgetful, and decomposing

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Offroad DCSB AT- VSC,TRAC,HAC, & DAC
    Icon Stage 8, ECGS Bushing, Timbren bump stops, Crown braided/extended brake lines, Overland Custom Design sway bar links, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extension & reroute, front windows tint, Cat Security, XPEL headlight/fog & grill protection, OEM block heater, RCBS illuminated 4X4 switch,
    I'm gonna have to go with Janster on this one. I've read enough instances from members here where the mats got trapped and caused a problem. I respect them for comeing forward and explaining what happened even though they knew it might not be the most popular thing to post. Having the pedal shortened is just a precautionary measure but the chances of it ever actually happening is probably pretty slim as long as you use common sense (secure the mat and don't stack.)

If your truck did infact have this issue would you or Toyota be liable if someone got hurt or killed and you signed a wavier not to have the recall work done?

3. Sep 12, 2010 at 4:05 PM
    jpmorrisvb

Member:
    First Name:
    Jimmy
    Virginia Beach
    Vehicle:
    Clazzio seat covers, KB Voodoo Powder Coated Tailgate Cap, OEM running boards, ImMrYo Rear-View Mirror Lift Bracket, 35% Tinted windows, EGR window vents, color matched door handles and tail gate lift, WeatherTech FloorLiners, OEM bed mat, sound dampening on rear wall and rear doors, on anytime foglight mod

Agreed ... well put.

4. Sep 12, 2010 at 5:43 PM
    tegdog

tegdog Taco Lover

Member:
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma Dbl TRD Sport
    ventvisors,seatcovers, bug shield,TRD CAI,TRD CAT BACK,blacked out emblems,bed extender, TSB leaf pack,Pro Dry filter, Grill craft upper, lower, & triangles, Hella 500 Black magics
    All caps won't make your BS points valid.

5. Sep 12, 2010 at 6:20 PM
    fjm0008

fjm0008 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    Annapolis
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 LB White
    Sirius Starmate and ipod integration w/Pay15 Toy USA Spec, Hardwired Radar Detector and GPS, DRL Mod,Tailgate Anti Theft mod, Hi Lift Jack, CB Radio, Back up sensors, Front 30% tint, Leer 100R Cap, Weathertech, Under hood light and 12V outlet, D Rings, N-FAB Step Bars, Bed Mat, Yakima Bike Rack, OEM Roof Rack
    I have to get off of this thread also. I get frustrated reading about would you be liable, imaginary fears about nothing because you bought into a PR campaign, a good one at that. Prior to this recall does anyone have a shread of evidence (facts) that a Tacoma without the software change and gas pedal amputation has hurt one person? If you are that worried about liability then stay in your house and keep watching and believing what is on TV. Only come out to drive to the dealer to get some other fake fix. Then go straight home, so you won't hurt anyone before the next recall. I know that some people sleep better thinking that they should trust Toyota and if they listen to them then they won't be responsible if something happens. Guess what, if you get in an accident good luck blaming a mat or a pedal or a recall, and Toyota won't come to your defense. I sleep better knowing that I am responsible for my actions. If you had it done good for you, but please don't take offense to others who did not buy the PR fix.

6. Sep 12, 2010 at 8:20 PM
    ob1

ob1 [OP] Member

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5
    Yep, you get my original point. When I bought this truck, BRAND NEW off the Toyota dealer lot, I expected a certain amount of quality. I bought it because of Toyota's reputation for Quality, workmanship and dependability. They let me buy it with $0 down and 0% interest based on my reputation. I'm sure if I decided this month I won't make a payment there would be hell to pay. Or better yet, I'll only make a hack (half) payment and everything will be OK because they gave me a hacked pedal. Why do they get away with a hack job? It's not the pedal so to say. It's the quality of work and the fact that I can't get a new, unhacked pedal. Yes, I know I can easily get an aluminum pedal cover or better yet a real "drilled" aluminum pedal and cover that hack job. I've built a few hot rods and restored many classics. I just wanted an everyday reliable truck that I don't have to wrench on or worry about where I park. It may be my everyday driver but that doesn't mean I don't want a nice clean truck. When I bought my Taco, I had a '70 Chevy stepside that I was considering fixing up but decided to drop about twice as much for the Taco just because of the previous reasons just given. If I wanted custom pedals, I could have easily done it. And you're right, I don't see it everyday but I brush the back of my teeth and I don't see those everyday neither. And when I stain shelves, I stain underneath even though no one will see that neither. You get the point. And if you voted for Obama or believe any of his BS, I won't even go there........... And yes,

7. Sep 12, 2010 at 8:24 PM
    jpmorrisvb

Member:
    First Name:
    Jimmy
    Virginia Beach
    Vehicle:
    Wow ..... a bit edgy ..... did I tell you that my recall was very professional.... perhaps you should look to GM, Ford, Dodge ... I am sure they will take your Tacoma as a trade-in ... at a good price to you ....:cool:

8. Sep 12, 2010 at 8:46 PM
    BlueT

BlueT Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    I moded 1999 Taco so much it had turned to Land Cruiser
    :rofl:
    OP: I dont even know why would you go for this recall. It was posted what they did to the trucks. What did you expect?
    Why would anybody go for that recall is beyond me. If people can not handle floor mats in their vehicles there should be mandatory driver re-testing. :D

9. Sep 12, 2010 at 8:52 PM
    Kyouto42

Kyouto42 Iron Beard

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Vehicle:
    BSP '10 4x4 TRD Off-Road DC
    See build thread in signature
    ALso, one other thing to point out.... someone that did get the recall posted pictures about how it will actually increase the chance of getting caught on weathertechs. So, the recall itself is a safety issue for me, as I do have weathertechs. Not that I would ever blame the pedal or weathertechs if I was unable to control my vehicle or my actions.

10. Sep 12, 2010 at 8:58 PM
    jpmorrisvb

Member:
    First Name:
    Jimmy
    Virginia Beach
    Vehicle:
    chris4x4 .... pull the plug on this madness ..... you have a responsibility [​IMG]

11. Sep 12, 2010 at 9:35 PM
    Larry

Larry CARL

Member:
    CARL
    whats up jp?

You don't enjoy opposing views? :D

12. Sep 12, 2010 at 9:44 PM
    Larry

Larry CARL

Member:
    CARL
    I have weathertechs and the cut pedal...it's not an issue.

My beef with the whole deal isn't so much the cut pedal (although it's stupid)...but the politics of it all. But I've made my points on the issue in several threads of this type...and it's been advised by the mods to leave the politics alone...

So, I'm gonna remain friends with my opponents on this issue...and move on. I like the folks here on this forum...and I believe I have been respectful in the debate.

13. Sep 12, 2010 at 11:27 PM
    Gitmo

Gitmo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    How could they deny you insurance if the accident did not involve ANY "stuck" gas pedal...? Especially if it wasn't even your fault. I believe they could only deny you if the gas pedal got stuck...but if you had a pair of weathertech mats in your truck, then you would be able to prove to them how impossible it is to get the pedal stuck.

14. Sep 13, 2010 at 7:10 AM
    cinch

cinch Member Extraordinaire

Member:
    First Name:
    Al
    Boulder Creek Ca
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prerunner double cab
    How many recall threads is this now? It's really getting ridiculous.

15. Sep 13, 2010 at 8:39 AM
    ob1

ob1 [OP] Member

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5
    Blue T:The reason I Originally even bothered to take my truck in was because I got a coupon from the dealer for a $19.99 oil change and free tire rotation, otherwise I usually do my own work (for obvious reasons) AND the dealer agreed to do tsb 0305-08 ( by FAR the biggest reason I took it in originally). I called about a week in advance and talked to the service manager. He said he could get the oil change and tire rotation, tsb 0305-08 (rear leafs) and get the gas pedal recall done the same day. And after reading these forums, I figured the new pedal wasn't cut, only the old one was cut (MY error). I guess I'm just kind of a simple, logical guy and couldn't/can't understand why you would buy something new that you HAVE to modify. Also after reading these forums I thought about the safety/insurance/CYA (mostly CYA factor).

16. Sep 13, 2010 at 10:23 AM
    tegdog

tegdog Taco Lover

Member:
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma Dbl TRD Sport
    ventvisors,seatcovers, bug shield,TRD CAI,TRD CAT BACK,blacked out emblems,bed extender, TSB leaf pack,Pro Dry filter, Grill craft upper, lower, & triangles, Hella 500 Black magics
    Sounds like you don't like to debate when you have no ammunition, I bet if most of the replies agreed with your point of view you would be willing to continue this till the cows came home. Since the majority don't see it your way we must lock this thread now, thats kind of weak IMO.

17. Sep 13, 2010 at 10:26 AM
    BlueT

BlueT Well-Known Member

Member:
    NorthEast
    Vehicle:
    07 Dbl Cab LB with LSD
    I moded 1999 Taco so much it had turned to Land Cruiser
    I hear you reading this forum you may get the idea that with out that recall, your truck will explode in nice fireball. Yea the problem here is that lots of people dont read their recall notice.
    This is not a "FIX IT" recall.. To compare, its like recall for frames in 1gen. If Toyota said they going to just cover the frame with some gunk that would not be a "fix it" recall. It may prevent rusting or may cause other issues.
    Replacing frames with holes in them is a "Fix It" recall and that is what they doing.

Here is Toyota press release.
    http://pressroom.toyota.com/pr/tms/customer-faqs-regarding-the-sticking-153495.aspx#link 2

So
    1. ECU re flush "Toyota Extends Brake Override System to Provide an Additional Measure of Customer Confidence"(thanks but no thank you I have more confidence in my driving then in the fact of somebody flushing my 4 year old ECU).

2. "Pedal entrapment can occur in vehicles in which the driver’s side floor mat is not compatible with the vehicle and/or is not properly installed and secured. It can also occur when there is a loose item or debris on the driver’s side floor." I manage my floor mats and debris in Tacoma the same way I manage them in my LC and my Nissan :rolleyes: I also did manage them in many cars over past 20+ years of driving because managing driver side floor space was covered on my Driving test. Times had changed i guess :p

3. "What if I don’t want to remove my floor mat?
    Toyota strongly recommends that you remove the driver’s side floor mat and that you not disregard this advice.If you choose to disregard our recommendation, please be sure that your vehicle has the correct floor mat and that it is properly installed and secured. Do not stack floor mats and do not turn them over. While there are instructions on www.toyota.com for proper floor mat installation in unaffected vehicles, again, Toyota strongly recommends that you remove the floor mat out of recalled vehicles." Duh No $..t, who would stack rubber floor mats ??? :rolleyes:

Now, new buyers are screwd " The override system will be standard by the end of 2010. " So I guess no more superchargers... :D

18. Sep 13, 2010 at 10:52 AM
    Larry

Larry CARL

Member:
    CARL
    Different members have different experiences and there are many opinions on the issue.

Why does that bother you? You know you don't have to click on these threads...right?

And what's the difference between these 90L threads and a hundred threads on wheels...or tires...or suspension mods...?

It's all good IMO.

Enjoy the forum for what it is...participate in the threads you like. Avoid ones you don't like or don't have an interest in.

:cheers:

19. Sep 13, 2010 at 11:07 AM
    jpmorrisvb

Member:
    First Name:
    Jimmy
    Virginia Beach
    Vehicle:

Debate is one thing .... beating this thing to death is another .... I like a good arguement as well as the next guy but it seems that if someone disagrees with another's point of view they shit all over him, or her in Janster's case.

When folks continue to say "I don't want my pedal butchered" ... and pictures like mine show that the job was done in a professional manner it kind of defeats their comment.

So, as far as your "ammunication" comment ... my side of this discussion is that I that I have trust in Toyota's decision, I had the recall performed, I have no problem with it, my vehicle shifts smoother, I have tried my damnest to "slip" my foot off the shortened pedal to no avail, and I'll continue to stand by that.

None of my comments have been negative in any way, as far as I can remember, saying things such as those who do not have it performed are morons, fools, etc.

20. Sep 13, 2010 at 11:14 AM
    wiscdave

wiscdave Lets Do It!

Member:
    Northern Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    Tundra Rock Warrior
    Past ride - 3" OME 885s&Shocks/ TSB 1.5AAL/ AX184 Rims 285 Firestone destination ATs/ 2 Shallow mount P310s in Supercrew Box - Punch 601s, Beefed up Hunter Brush guard, Tint, Fog light mod, AFE Drop in, AC and Fog light mods, scangauge

Spoken like a true old timer with nothing to fear. I totally agree with you..

All this hype and bashing, jeez can't we all just get along.

If you change your battery, you probably flushed your ECU. If you leave your lights on and your battery goes dead, you just flashed your ECU... There is nothing wrong with it, Toyota is doing something with the brakes that they should have done years ago - have an over-ride system

Products Discussed in

To Top