1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Anyone else with eyelids that don't quite match factory paint

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by KeithB, Oct 21, 2010.

1. Oct 21, 2010 at 12:45 PM
    KeithB

KeithB [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Keith
    Cheshire, CT
    Vehicle:
    SWB '09 Tacoma DCSB Sport 4x4
    Wheels and Tires: 17x8" Ultra Goliath wheels with P285/70R17 Nitto Terra Grappler G2, Suspension: Icon coilovers set at 2.5", TC UCA's, 1.5" lift 3 leaf pack with overload left in, 3* shims, carrier bearing drop, Bilstein 5100 B110 rear shocks Other: TRD SS exhaust, Pioneer AVIC 4100 H/U with Android Auto (awesomeness), sat radio bluetooth, Accessories: Toyota roof rack, black Toyota running board steps, cargo divider, weathertech floor liners, Literider roll up soft tonneau, thule bars over tonneau Cosmetic: window tint, grillcraft black mesh upper/lower grill, eyelids, tinted tails and third brake light, vinyl armrest in doors and center console Lighting: fogs only mod, bed lights in pockets, back up lights, amber interior accent lighting, amber 10" LED light bar in hood scoop, 33" LED bar behind the lower grill, amber lamin-x on fog lights
    Just wondering if it's just me or is anyone else experiencing dissatisfaction with the paint matching. I did not even do it myself, had Maaco paint them for me and when I took it back to show the mismatch, they told me that's the best they could do. The eyelid is not as bright as the grill surround which is factory but almost seems to match the hood better. It bugs me because with the grillcraft installed, it makes it look like the grill surround is aftermarket and doesn't match. Without the eyelids on, the grill surround difference from the hood is not noticable.

DSC03407A.jpg

2. Oct 21, 2010 at 1:14 PM
    Blaktak

Blaktak Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    So-Cal
    Vehicle:
    2007 Sport
    Working on It!
    That does look bad... You should sell your truck! jk... you can't really notice it on the picture you posted. I know there is this place where I live that will actually put your paint color in a spray can, maybe look into something in your area...

3. Oct 21, 2010 at 1:24 PM
    zx5go

zx5go Well-Known Member

Member:
    Southwest Missouri
    Vehicle:
    2011 Super White TRD Sport
    I haven't had mine painted yet but plan to have them done at a local shop that guarantees their work. Any good shop should at least guarantee a color match.

4. Oct 21, 2010 at 1:30 PM
    Snake~

Snake~ Big Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Blake
    DFW
    Vehicle:
    2010 DCSB TRD Sport
    Autolumination Yellow fog light bulbs, Dynomax Ultra Flo muffler, AFE Pro Dry S air filter, tailgate security mods, TRD skid plate, DeeZee bed mat, Armor Lid tonneau, OEM roof rack, TRD center caps, Satoshi grille, Sockmonkey tailgate decal
    Buy some paint and clear coat from automotivetouchup.com and paint them yourself. That's what I did and they look damn near perfect.

5. Oct 21, 2010 at 1:32 PM
    Titan

Titan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joel
    Sheboygan, WI
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Sport DC-LB
    OME Lift Kit
    it looks more like the direction they were sprayed to me....

a lot of factory paint jobs look like that, especially silvers in low light

it has to do with the direction the pearl in the paint lays, if it color matches any part of the truck this is most likely the case, not sure if it can be fixed unless we know which way the grill was sprayed from the factory so the lids can be sprayed in the same direction

6. Oct 21, 2010 at 4:11 PM
    Dadic 78

Dadic 78 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Fil
    Edmonton, AB CANADA
    Vehicle:
    08 Double cab TRD
    It can be nearly impossible to "butt match" aftermarket items to OEM areas on a vehicle. Now, I agree that your colour is quite off... too light from what I can see. Maaco is not re-spraying these for you because they're Maaco, you probably paid $50 for the work, and yes, they're Maaco...

If you want a better job done, bitch, and complain enough to Maaco, and they may re-spray them. Tell them they chose the wrong variant, and you need a darker one. To my knowledge, there are about 6 colour variants on speedway blue, so picking the right one isn't the easiest.

Just remember, any time you're buying aftermarket stuff, and trying to butt-match it up to OEM panels, you're going to have issues. Especially with pearl, and metallic colours.

7. Oct 21, 2010 at 5:55 PM
    mx355

mx355 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Trent
    TX
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD SPORT 4x4
    Bilstein 5100 with OME 885, Wheelers 1/4" Lift Spacer, Wheelers 3 Leaf Progressive AAL (overload removed), TRD PRO 17" Wheels, BFG AT KO2, Katzin Leather, Husky X-Act Contour, Truxedo Lo Pro, CaliRaisedLED Spot Light Pod with APEX Fog Bracket, Fog Light Anytime.
    I dont have any eye lids but my factory silver grill is lighter than my hood. Noticed it after I did my Grillcraft but def noticed a few other tacos not matching perfect from grill to hood.

8. Oct 21, 2010 at 6:04 PM
    Dadic 78

Dadic 78 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Fil
    Edmonton, AB CANADA
    Vehicle:
    08 Double cab TRD
    That's because your grill is plastic and your hood is metal. If you spray plastic and metal together, same paint, same painter, same spray gun, same day, same time, they will ALWAYS look different.

Just look at the front and rear bumper covers on any/all cars on the road, they never match 100% (GM especially!!!)

To Top