1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

anyone ever been to joshua tree national forest?

Discussion in 'Northern California' started by aficianado, Nov 1, 2011.

1. Nov 1, 2011 at 9:44 AM
    aficianado

aficianado [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    bay area, california
    Vehicle:
    2006 access cab. 4x4, TRD-OR
    OME lift. 884 coils, 1.5" AAL's installed on nonTSB leafs. front diff drop kit.
    a buddy and myself are going to do some camping. he needs to get away from work, and i just need a break from everything.

about 5 days over there, rock climbing, hiking. any random trails over there for my 4x4? safe trails because we will be solo vehicle. i cant afford a break, or a stuck truck.

2. Nov 1, 2011 at 11:14 AM
    87xjmike

87xjmike Well-Known Member

Member:
    Folsom
    Vehicle:
    98 5lug 2rz
    downey mid travel 2wd set up
    Your probably better off posting this in the socal forum. When are you going? I'll be traveling down south to wheel/camp/bike in the el mirage/barstow regions at the end of the month.

3. Nov 2, 2011 at 9:15 PM
    w3tw0rks

w3tw0rks Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alvin
    San Jose, CA
    Vehicle:
    04 Xtracab 4x4
    I've never been, but looking through my Southern Guide to Cali Backroads and 4wd Trails all I see is Berdoo Canyon. The book rates it Moderate. It says only the last part of the trail is moderate, the rest is easy. Says it's suitable for stock, high-clearance, 4wds. Books also says allow 2-4 hours for 23.4 miles.

4. Nov 2, 2011 at 9:22 PM
    aficianado

aficianado [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    bay area, california
    Vehicle:
    2006 access cab. 4x4, TRD-OR
    OME lift. 884 coils, 1.5" AAL's installed on nonTSB leafs. front diff drop kit.
    duh...socal. damn.

5. Nov 4, 2011 at 10:35 PM
    partypartida

partypartida New Member

Member:
    Corona
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner
    I just got back from Joshua tree. (11.01.11)

After spending one night at the Indian Cove campground (only 4 groups there at the time) I headed over to the Geology tour the next day.

I took my '05 4x2 Pre-runner through the loop but I didn't attempt to go through Berdoo Canyon.

Since I came in one vehicle, I didn't think it was worth the risk of getting stuck on a trail 9+ miles away from any help.

I had no trouble getting around the trail. The conditions were perfect at the time of my visit. (70's and clear skies) The road was a bit sandy but nothing you wouldn't be able to handle.

It did rain a bit today (Friday 11.4.11) so the conditions may have changed. But you can always check at the ranger station.

I do recommend you bring enough water, shovel and some wood in case you need to dig your way out if your tires get stuck someplace.

6. Nov 9, 2011 at 5:09 PM
    Phlip4x4Sport

Phlip4x4Sport Well-Known Member

Member:
    Santa Monica, CA
    Vehicle:
    08 Double 4x4 Sport
    Turned off seatbelt chime!, Pop-N-Lock, G4 Elite bedcover, Rear diff breather mod, LT265/70 R17 BFG AT's
    hehe... just happened to be looking through norcal threads...
    I have been there many times for camping, rock climbing and hiking. Camping is a large temperature swing so winds are high and unstable/tall tents can get knocked down. Rock climbing is different than granite. It is sandstone that grips good but crumbles under your feet. Crack climbs are easier, slabs are more difficult. Beware of the long hike to lost Oasis... not much there, the Oasis at the beginning of the hike is much better.

I went through there once for 4x4, here is a small write up.
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/of...il-youve-done-stock-tacoma-2.html#post3583272
    The loop to the top of Geology Trail is pretty easy. Once you head into Berdoo canyon I myself didn't think I would be able to come back up with my truck. But going down I would do it again. It is a long loop taking Rt 10 to Rt 62 to get back up to the top of Joshua Tree.

Have fun!

To Top