1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Anyone ever done the camping thing at San Onofre State Beach?

Discussion in 'Southern California' started by PRBond, Jan 10, 2012.

1. Jan 10, 2012 at 1:49 PM
    PRBond

PRBond [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Columbus, OH
    Vehicle:
    04 TRD PreRunner
    3" ToyTec suspension kit, AEM Air Intake, Uniden 510 CB, 265 X 75 X 16 BFG AT's
    Hey Guys,
    Not really a wheeling trip, but wondering if any of you guys have ever done the camping thing at San Onofre state beach? I was born and raised in So Cal and I've always wanted to that, but never have for some reason...

Anyway, if any of you have I'm trying to figure out if you can tent camp there and what the fees are ect...

Thanks.

2. Jan 10, 2012 at 9:46 PM
    Johnnie

Johnnie Well-Known Member

Member:
    I.E. SoCal
    Vehicle:
    Feds
    I believe you camp on the cliffs over looking the beach. If you want to go to the beach you need to walk down the steps to get there. You can use tents.

In order to make reservations you have to use and sign up at reserveamerica.com. You have to make your reservations 7 months in advance. For example, we are camping at Carpinteria State Beach in July and we had to be online at 8am sharp on January 2nd to reserve a spot. In the summer time these spots are hard to come by.

3. Jan 10, 2012 at 9:56 PM
    deadhed61

deadhed61 :notsure:

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Santa Barbara, Ca
    Vehicle:
    The Black Pearl
    A little lift and a little armor
    Johnnie know s what he's talking about! Reserving a spot in the summer time takes a lot of planning. But if you go there now you will for sure find an open spot without a reservation. I made reservations for Refugio St beach for the 4th of july over a month ago. It all really just depends on when you want to go.

4. Jan 11, 2012 at 4:58 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

T@co_Pr3runn3r XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    I camped there once. Didn't really care for the highway view from the campsites and the raccoons were crazy. Nice Beach tho. Surfed there on some waist high lines. Nice casual session with clear water.

5. Jan 11, 2012 at 6:28 AM
    PRBond

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Columbus, OH
    Vehicle:
    04 TRD PreRunner
    Thanks guys, I didn't realize that the reservations went that far in advanced, but I guess that is understandable.

Gotta talk it over with the wife now and she if she wants to plan for that...

6. Jan 11, 2012 at 6:45 AM
    RecklessTaco

RecklessTaco Livin the Dream

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Topaz Lake, Nv.
    Vehicle:
    08 Dbl Cab Prerunner TRD Sport Debadged
    ENGAGE LT KIT, King 2.5x 8" coilovers w/600lb 18"coil springs, a custom built leaf pack in the rear by OMD, and a custom built prerunner bumper by SurfInferno. 35x12.50-17General Grabbers on 17x9 Black MB Wheels rims, Volant CAI w/Amsoil dry filter, Volant Ram Air, Poweraid Throttle body spacer, URD MAF Calibrator, Flowmaster40, Uniden Bearcat cb w/ 4' fire fly firestick antenna, & a Icom V80 Handheld(Modded for race channels)
    Some of the best sufficient sessions you'll ever have. But the fwy being right behind you does suck a little. Very noisy

7. Jan 11, 2012 at 6:46 AM
    RecklessTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Topaz Lake, Nv.
    Vehicle:
    ENGAGE LT KIT, King 2.5x 8" coilovers w/600lb 18"coil springs, a custom built leaf pack in the rear by OMD, and a custom built prerunner bumper by SurfInferno. 35x12.50-17General Grabbers on 17x9 Black MB Wheels rims, Volant CAI w/Amsoil dry filter, Volant Ram Air, Poweraid Throttle body spacer, URD MAF Calibrator, Flowmaster40, Uniden Bearcat cb w/ 4' fire fly firestick antenna, & a Icom V80 Handheld(Modded for race channels)
    Surf. Not sufficient. Stupid phone

8. Jan 11, 2012 at 7:57 AM
    PRBond

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Columbus, OH
    Vehicle:
    04 TRD PreRunner
    Yeah, I have a 9' custom South Coast egg that I haven't been on in years. That board saw a lot of time at Tourmaline and La Jolla Shores when I was in my 20's... There was once a time when I was a starving college student and my only real needs were good surf, a couch to crash on, and a Carne Asada burrito.

9. Jan 11, 2012 at 8:15 AM
    RecklessTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Topaz Lake, Nv.
    Vehicle:
    Dam bro. How old are ya? Tourmaline was my spot! I had a 10'0 classic noserider by Ace/Eaton. Now looking for a new board. 10'6 noserider

10. Jan 11, 2012 at 8:19 AM
    PRBond

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Columbus, OH
    Vehicle:
    04 TRD PreRunner
    I'll be 38 next month. I went to Bird Rock Elementary and Muirlands Jr High (now Muirlands Middle School) before my family moved out to East County in the late 80's and I practically grew up at Tourmaline.

Products Discussed in

To Top