1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Anyone ever have a rear axle seal go bad?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by PA452, Jan 8, 2010.

1. Jan 8, 2010 at 1:58 PM
    PA452

PA452 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western PA
    Vehicle:
    15 Access TRD Offroad, V6, 5spd Auto, 4x4
    On their 2005+ Tacoma that is...

If so, do you know if it would be reasonably easy to fix myself?

I'm not positive yet that mine is bad. I changed the oil in my rear diff a few days ago in a friend's garage. After the drive home, the truck was parked almost two days before I used it again. Before I did anything yesterday, I went out and checked around the rear diff to make sure I wasn't getting any leaks. First I saw drops hanging there, but they all turned out to be water (which I don't entirely get, since the temp never got out of the 20s). While I was down there though, I noticed the inside of the driver's side rear wheel appeared a bit wet. I'm talking residue, not soaked. So I feel around the bottom of the brake drum. I get water on my fingers, but that water felt just the slightest bit oily, more so when rubbing my finger along the bottom of the drum. Didn't really smell like gear oil though, but it was heavily diluted in water if that's what it was.

Unfortunately with the weather, things are never clean down there. The roads are constantly covered in slush, sand, cinders, salt, and whatever else they throw on the roads this time of year. If it is gear oil leaking out of that seal, I highly doubt it's leaking fast enough to be a major issue in need of immediate attention, but I'm definitely a bit concerned.

2. Jan 8, 2010 at 2:32 PM
    Fortech

Fortech Well-Known Member

Member:
    CANADA
    Vehicle:
    2005 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR
    Bilstein 5100's, rear TSB, Firestone bags
    Yup, lost both of them at the same time.

My parking brake stopped working so i had the dealer look at it while it was in the shop for another problem. To make a very long story short, 3 visits later they diagnosed it as both rear seals leaking and had filled the rear drums with gear oil.

Keep your rear diff vent clear as dust and crap gets up inside it, building pressure inside the housing that could potentially blow seals (this didn't happen to me though). Each time I service/grease the truck I give the little cap on the top of the vent a few turns with my fingers. It'll spin freely when clear.

3. Jan 8, 2010 at 2:38 PM
    PA452

PA452 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western PA
    Vehicle:
    15 Access TRD Offroad, V6, 5spd Auto, 4x4
    Do you do much off-roading?

I hate to say it, but I've never even looked at the vent. Is it a hose leading somewhere? Or on the diff itself somewhere? I don't do any real off-roading, so I never really thought about it.

I was just out there laying in the snow again checking it out. I was out driving earlier. Didn't notice any trace of fresh oil. There wasn't even any liquid water this time, what was there was frozen.

4. Jan 8, 2010 at 2:47 PM
    gusotto

gusotto gusotto

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Iowa
    Vehicle:
    2001 Tacoma 4X4 SR5 Extended Cab
    Had the seal go out twice on my '92. 2nd time it was a free replacement.
    It was noticeable from the gear oil smell while sticking my head out the window.
    You should be able to smell gear oil also if that's what it is.

To Top