1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Anyone ever run an electric smoker off your truck?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Junebug McQuinn, Oct 28, 2011.

1. Oct 31, 2011 at 10:39 AM
    MadMtnMikey

MadMtnMikey Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Richmond/VaBeach
    Vehicle:
    03 DC 4x4 SR5 TRD
    depending on what you run, you might need to route heavier wiring back there. Save for the battery cables, most factory wiring isn't beyond 16 - 18 guage, usually 18. Enough current draw over an extended period of time will get those wires nice and toasty.

The best bet to support any ideas of a moderate use inverter, would be to do a DIY upgrade. Run it seperate, fused and through a relay maybe directly off the battery with heavier wiring, 16 guage would suite most applications, unless it's like a 4500 watt monster, use 14.

edit: not sure on the biggest inverters, I've seen at least 2000 watts, pretty sure I've seen 4500 before. You're better off to allow yourself some leadway with the wire size though, unless you want a barbecued Tacoma.

Remember, standard household circuits use 14 guage mostly, on a 15 amp circuit. That's AC power, but remember your inverting, from wiring originally only suited for 12volt DC.

This is actually giving me some good ideas for car camping.

2. Oct 31, 2011 at 10:42 AM
    2009Silver

2009Silver Well-Known Member

Member:
    Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2009 Silver 4x4 DC TRD Sport
    WeatherTechs Bed Extender Bed Mat 3" Lift Spidertrax Clarion DVD HU Overhead Monitor
    We did chili in a slow cooker (nesco type deal) the other weekend. Even on low it wouldn't work without the truck on, so I idled for a couple hours, and set it to high...:D That slow cooker was rated at 350 watts, though maybe if on low would draw less, but no-go...

Products Discussed in

To Top