1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Anyone ever run transmission fluid in engine right before oil change?

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by Boatbldr, Dec 6, 2018.

1. Dec 6, 2018 at 4:46 PM
    Boatbldr

Boatbldr [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2002 prerunner
    None
  2. Dec 6, 2018 at 5:25 PM
    Taco Addiction

Taco Addiction We found Jimmy

Member:
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    2004 Black TRD Offroad
    Kings, SCS Wheels and other mall crawling crap
    Sounds good. I’ve heard Tide Pods work well too.

steezinstangl and Boatbldr[OP] like this.
  3. Dec 22, 2018 at 8:41 PM
    toyodajeff

toyodajeff Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    jeff
    Vehicle:
    06 reg cab sr5
    I doubt it would hurt anything honestly. If your truck runs fine I'd leave it alone. If you want something to break up crude in the engine I've heard pennzoil platinum is good for that.
    I'd still leave it alone. If you do have alot of sludge in your engine it's better for it to stay stuck to the side of the block than clogging your screen on the oil pump pickup or stuck in the drain holes from your head to the block.
    I wasn't intentionally trying to clean one out but once I had the drain holes get stopped up on the heads of a really sludged up k5 blazer and it pumped all the oil from the engine out through the valve cover vent into the breather and sucked it down the carb.

4. Sep 23, 2019 at 7:15 PM
    Trucknorris

Trucknorris Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 sr5 double cab 4x4
    Several
    Chemtool.b 12

5. Oct 30, 2019 at 1:43 PM
    jbaker1976

jbaker1976 It's always Taco Tuesday

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    East TN
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB OR
    Camper shell with side windoors and bed slider, JL Audio Component Door Speakers, JL Audio Stealth box, Grill Craft Grill, Husky floor liners, Hondo Radio knobs, Predator steps, Remote Start, Pop N Lock, etc...
    Transmission fluid is just high detergent oil with less viscosity. It wont hurt a damn thing in small amounts for short periods of time.
    If you keep your oil changed on a regular basis it wont help either. It might condition the valve stems seals.
    The power steering fluid in our trucks is just transmission fluid too.

I've run small amounts of kerosene thru neglected dirt bikes to clean the shit out.
    Mechanics have told me they drain the oil and let a gallon of it sit in an engines overnight that are locked up.
    I can't see how that is good for the seals and gaskets though. If the engine is locked up, its time for a re-build. I like reliability.

Most people don't realize you need to get your oil temps up to normal operating temps in order to burn the moisture out of the oil.
    Sludge comes from moisture. If you leave moisture in your crank case it will cause sludge.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2019
    Torspd and auskip07 like this.
  6. Nov 5, 2019 at 5:03 AM
    auskip07

auskip07 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Skip
    Atlanta, Ga
    Vehicle:
    2019 TACOMA SR V6 , 4X4, AUTO, 4.88, 265/75 r16
    Ive heard of this and seen it done. if you have an old engine that you want to clean out its a good thing to do. Seafoam in the oil will also do the same thing and i have done that with seafoam replacing half a quart and run it for a day/week around town then change the oil.

7. Nov 12, 2019 at 9:54 AM
    shr133

shr133 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Muskego, WI
    Vehicle:
    2010 V6 Sport
    K & N filter, 275 70 17 Cooper AT3, OME Nitrocharger shocks, 884 Springs, Dakar leafs.
    I have never used a cleaner in my oil but it makes sense to clean the engine of sludge and tar.

I would do another flush after that.

I think there are YouTube vids on engine flushing.
    change the oil, run for a day or week and change again.

I never used to believe in all the fuel cleaners ect, but the do work.

8. Nov 15, 2019 at 10:03 AM
    novanut21

novanut21 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    North Central,WV
    Vehicle:
    2009 TRD SPORT
    AFE CAI, Magnaflow cat-back, TRD S/C, TRD Quickshifter, URD Fuel Pump Kit, Wet Okoles Front&Rear, WeatherTech Mats, Sockmonkey Decals, Satoshi grille, JBA "shorty" headers, URD Y-Pipe, TTC Oil Catch Can, Lotek Dual Apillar gauge pod w/ Autometer Phantom II AFR & Vac/Boost, URD Pulley, HID Retrofit.
    I tried BG Engine Purge in my 140,000 mile 2.2 sonoma. It smelled like pine sol and looked the same going in as it did coming out. I expected it to come out black as coal but nope looked exactly same. So either it didnt work or i have an extremely clean motor.

BlackGT99 likes this.
  9. Dec 10, 2019 at 6:55 PM
    Duezzer

Duezzer Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Glenn
    Vehicle:
    2019 Cavalry Blue TRD Sport
    Some - Will list later - has lift and new wheels and rubber
    I purchased a 74' Plymouth from my Grandmother after my Grandfather died - back when I was 15, While I was making payments to her it sat in her garage and did not get driven much - I would take it for a 1 hr drive everytime I went up and topped up the fuel, our mechanic up there who did the once over when I finally got it paid off thought it had a sticky lifter and a gunked up motor, he did an oil change substituting one quart of oil with ATF. I went for an hour drive and brought it back - we did another oil change - Tick gone and oil was not really dark but darker that going in. As it was draining he put a light peice of cardboard for the oil to run accross to show me the dark fluids suspended in the lighter fluid almost as if it was marbled.

The car ran grate for 4 yrs and many miles, never missed a beat engine wise.

I do not think I would do this on a new vehicle but seemed to be the right thing for the Plymouth.

Suspect Seafoam would be a better way to go as the product is made for this purpose and ATF is not.

10. Dec 10, 2019 at 6:56 PM
    BlackGT99

BlackGT99 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Noel
    Vehicle:
    2019 VooDoo Blue Tacoma TRD Pro
    I’ve heard of doing that. Never tried it myself. Kinda like running BG’s line

Products Discussed in

To Top