1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Anyone - floor mounted light switch???

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by tx_shooter, Sep 18, 2010.

1. Sep 18, 2010 at 9:46 PM
    tx_shooter

tx_shooter [OP] This place is a cesspool of bfo and spacer lifts

Member:
    I'm not that old, but my first truck was.

Has anyone tried or installed a floor mounted light switch on their truck??? How hard was it? I found a couple of Google searches about it to other forums, but none of them really gave any good answers.

2. Sep 19, 2010 at 6:19 AM
    SCFirefighter

SCFirefighter on idiot patrol ;)

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephan
    Cary, NC
    Vehicle:
    Silver 2010 DC TRD Sport 4x4 5'
    MagnaFlow Performance Exhaust, ScanGauge II, Map, dome and license plate LED's, Custom Fire/Rescue decals, Weathertech deflectors, Removed mud flaps, Rear spring TSB, Spidertrax spacers, Tinted windows (5%/27%), Black Tacoma badges, 5100 Billstein x4, ToyTec Coilovers, ToyTec TSB AAL, Devil horns, Hose clamp tailgate mod, OEM bed mat, HomeLink module, Hardwire GPS, Weathertech digital fit floor lines, Front Diff drop, Rear Diff breather mod, 4xInnovation welded sliders, Pioneer AVH-X5800BHS+SiriusXM.
  3. Sep 19, 2010 at 6:23 AM
    Rocketball

Rocketball If The World Didn't Suck, We'd All Fall Off

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Westminster, MD
    Vehicle:
    08 Speedway Blue DC Sport 4x4
    Pioneer head unit, PAC steering wheel control modual, Hard wired Sirius radio, Hard wired radar detector, Hella Supertone horns, Blacked out badges, Smoked Tails, BHLM (color matched Speedway Blue), T-Rex Eyelids, Black Powder Coated Billet Grill, Color Matched Engine Cover, Lund in channel vent visors, FJ Cruiser wheels, Leer 100XQ shell, OEM bed mat, Piezo beeper for locking doors, Tinted front side windows, Black Westin bull bar, Aires tube steps, Mini Maglite Mod, D-Cell Maglite Mod, Weathertech Digifit Floor Mats
    Man..... I miss those floor switches too. :(

I never quit understood how a stalk mounted high beam switch is safer than a floor mounted one. :confused: Isn't keeping both hands on the steering wheel safer?

4. Sep 19, 2010 at 6:33 AM
    Firetech

Firetech Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ralph
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    2010 SR5 Off Road
    I agree, I miss the floor mounted switch. And now they even changed it from pull to push? don't understand why! I know i'm old but some things worked better the old way!

5. Sep 19, 2010 at 7:00 AM
    tex

tex Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fort Worth, TX
    Vehicle:
    2006 V8 Sport 4Runner
    Maybe they stopped for fear it would cause the floor mat to hold the gas down and accelerate out of control.

6. Sep 19, 2010 at 7:17 AM
    jpmorrisvb

jpmorrisvb Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jimmy
    Virginia Beach
    Vehicle:
    2014 Barcelona Red TRD Off-Road PreRunner
    Clazzio seat covers, KB Voodoo Powder Coated Tailgate Cap, OEM running boards, ImMrYo Rear-View Mirror Lift Bracket, 35% Tinted windows, EGR window vents, color matched door handles and tail gate lift, WeatherTech FloorLiners, OEM bed mat, sound dampening on rear wall and rear doors, on anytime foglight mod
    I don't miss it at all. Winters in Massachusetts were a bitch with snow, dirt, etc. on shoes, boots, and floor. I had a few crap out on me over the years. Granted this was 60's and 70's technology.

Now, as a side note, and Larry should remember this because he is an old guy too :D , ..... when the high beam switch was placed up on the stock there was almost a recall (oh no ... not a recall) due to a safety hazard.

It seems that folks were unfamiliar with the new method and INSISTED on continuing to flip from low to high and back with their feet, getting them stuck in the steering wheel. :eek:

Cooler heads prevailed and the manufacturers were not held liable. :cool:

7. Sep 19, 2010 at 8:17 AM
    T0LLPHR33

T0LLPHR33 Well-Known Member

Member:
    S1N C1TY...(from Hilo, HI)...
    Vehicle:
    BSP TRD Off-Road
    APR X-1 | TRD CAI w/Clear Cover | TRD Short Shifter w/ TRD "RED" Shift Knob | SGII w/Blendmount| Snugtop SL w/KeyLess Entry | 5% Tint | Pop-n-Lock | Bosch Icon WB | S2K Antenna | HRM | LS 8K Projectors w/BSP HLM & 8K Fogs w/FLM | Debadged |Tinted Tails | Black Weathertechs | MX RGM & RBM | Optima Red Top 35 | Gatorback Belt |
    my '72 bronco had a floor light switch but it was only to go between low and high beam

it was pretty sneaky...lol

8. Sep 19, 2010 at 9:28 AM
    JKD

JKD Well-Known Member

Member:
    I did like the old floor beam switches. Seemed so logical to me.

But, where would you put it? Would you get rid of the dead pedal?

9. Sep 19, 2010 at 10:16 AM
    hansonian

hansonian swims with fishes

Member:
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    2010 Double Cab PreRunner SR5
    Stock
    I put one in my old jeep and used it as a kill switch for the starter. I figured if I hide it in the open nobody would figure it out.

It's easy to put one in, just grab one for a older vehicle (usually $10-$15) and wire it to whatever you want just like you would a normal switch.

10. Sep 19, 2010 at 10:19 AM
    ktmrider

ktmrider Senior Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 DCLB 4x4 Sport S/C
    Junk
    Im young, does anybody have pictures I have no idea what this is.

11. Sep 19, 2010 at 10:37 AM
    LBtaco

LBtaco Thread killer

Member:
    Long Beach , CA
    Vehicle:
    15 Nissan Leaf
    Jetsons mod
    heh they moved em because they would rust out and fail (i guess)
    my old '79 camaro had one, and it went out. kinda a bitch to replace, no room and rust lol

12. Sep 19, 2010 at 10:44 AM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work. The wiring wouldn't be bad if you can find an accurate schematic. Hard part would be finding the right spot to screw it down.

13. Sep 19, 2010 at 12:05 PM
    TJ Asher

TJ Asher Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    TJ
    Minneapolis
    Vehicle:
    '10 Virgin
    I never want to go back to those pieces of crap. Anyone that lives in the rust belt and had a car with one of those knows how terrible they are with snow, salt and rust. Never had one that lasted. Column mount is so much better.

14. Sep 19, 2010 at 12:09 PM
    nomad

nomad Well-Known Member

Member:
    How about moving the shifter back to the column?... where it should be on a truck!

15. Sep 19, 2010 at 12:10 PM
    himmie

himmie No.

Member:
    First Name:
    Sarah
    AZ-WI
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Yes.
  16. Sep 19, 2010 at 12:28 PM
    Matic

Matic The "OFG" Baby!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Tricky Dick
    Easley, SC
    Vehicle:
    1 owner 2002 TRD, SR5, DC, 2.7. Full OME suspension, STT pro's.
    OME 881 coils with OME nitrochargers shocks up front. TC UCA's OME Dakars with extra leaf in the rear. Warn 8000 winch with 80ft custom braided synth line. Custom 60ft synth extension. All pro tube bumper, Hi-lift jack, Safari Snorkel, Wilco tiregate. 2019 Jeep JLUR.
    Yup. I'm old. I remember them quite well.
    And old enough to remember the windshield wiper fluid pump was on the floor too in some vehicles. Back in high school when I had a "71" dart, we ran the hoses back to the rear wheel well and would fill the resovoir up with bleach. Ahh. the good ole days.

17. Sep 19, 2010 at 12:41 PM
    tx_shooter

tx_shooter [OP] This place is a cesspool of bfo and spacer lifts

Member:

Besides the posts of "nice truck bro" that thread really didn't add anything to what I was looking for, thanks for digging it up through. At least I know it has been done so it shouldn't be brain surgery.

As for a pic of what one is -

[​IMG]

This particular switch is located in my '73 F-250. That is a truck... no disrespect to the Tacoma, but that old beast with a 390 and a 4 on the floor is a beast. Sadly, it is really hard to keep gas in it at 11 mpg when I drive +400 miles a week. :mad:

Products Discussed in

To Top