1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Anyone haul a Canoe on their truck....???

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Werloc, Jul 25, 2009.

1. May 25, 2012 at 10:36 AM
    Tacomada

Tacomada Well-Known Member

Member:
    TBC - Canadiana
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Off Road
    Figured I would chime in. Built my rack out of some 2x6 2x4 and 1x6. My main concerns were maintaining access to the truck bed, ease of removal and obviously stability. I stole the theme from a partial rack earlier in this thread.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1337967164.515515.jpg

The 1x6 supports are held on by bolts with Wong nuts so thy can easily be removed for storage. I built the front and back support so as not to have it resting on the cab since the be and can can move independently of each other.

Canoe is a 17'6" hellman prospector Kevlar.

2. Jun 15, 2012 at 10:30 AM
    nermalgod

nermalgod Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bend, OR
    Vehicle:
    Offroad boat hauler
    Not going to brag.
    Don't use foam blocks on the cab if you're using the Xporter. Just loft the canoe high enough to clear the cab and cheat it forward. The Xporter is plenty strong.

3. Jul 26, 2012 at 9:10 AM
    StandupTaco

StandupTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC TRD Sport
    I had a rack on my 88 toyota and yesterday I finally fitted it to the 2010 Tacoma. Just had to weld some 1"flatbar tabs to pick up the rail system on the tacoma. Used the inserts for my cap for the sides and made up 2 for the front...Seems solid!

IMG-20120726-00049.jpg

IMG-20120726-00048.jpg

4. Sep 13, 2012 at 11:10 AM
    dwsyab

dwsyab Old Man

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Sturbridge MA
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Offroad
    TRD Exhaust, rear diff breather mod, CB Radio
    I've come up with a kayak carrier that includes an old Sears X-Cargo carrier and an elevated platform in the bed of my Taco. The idea is to place items like paddles & wet life jackets underneath the platform and kayaks on top above the X-Cargo carrier.

The elevated platform is constructed of 2X6 boards & marine grade plywood and supports a homemade dual kayak carrier constructed of 3/4" natural gas pipe. Both the wood platform and pipe are attached to the truck bed with 1/4 inch steel cable. It has room for 2 kayaks, has a fairly large dry cargo storage area, and has space for other miscellaneous items that do not have to be protected from the elements under the platform. The only thing left to do at this point is spray paint the X-Cargo carrier flat black to match the platform and pipes.

I will post some pics as soon as I finish painting the X-Cargo Carrier. My wife has been telling me that it now looks like a plumbers truck but I don't see it! :confused:

5. Sep 13, 2012 at 12:40 PM
    Yamaha Dave

Yamaha Dave Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hauling a kayak or a canoe shouldn't be difficult at all, and you don't need to purchase any expensive racks. My kayak sits directly on top of a full size spare centered in the bed, and slightly elevated up on to this extender. Rachet it down and your good. I've driven 75+ on the freeway with this setup, as well as down curvy hill country roads to get the lake more times than I can even count. The key is to pay money to get some decent ratchet straps, ratchet it down in the front and back of the boat, and to load it so the center of gravity sits directly over the end of the bed. Of course this will be a little tricky for you guys with 14ft. canoes.

[​IMG]

6. Sep 13, 2012 at 12:48 PM
    kryten

kryten Well-Known Member

Member:
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Sport DCSB 6MT 4x4
    1" lift from 3rd gen suspension, 265/75/16 ATs
    I carry up to three 10 foot kayaks in my 5 foot bed. They are on their sides resting on my bed extender. They still do hang out a bit, but nothing major. I use a few 800lb ratchet straps.

7. Sep 13, 2012 at 12:48 PM
    phsycle

phsycle Well-Known Member

Member:
    CA
    I plan on buying either a Thule Xsporter or TracRac (basically the same thing). My uncle has one and it is pretty versitile system, which can carry everything from lumber to a roof-top tent.

8. Sep 13, 2012 at 12:51 PM
    Dark Knight

Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    NC/SC
    Vehicle:
    4Runner Trail, 88 pickup, Tundra Platinum
    A few bolts are different.
    4 not advised on a Yakima with q towers.
    [​IMG]

9. Sep 13, 2012 at 12:52 PM
    Yamaha Dave

Yamaha Dave Well-Known Member

Member:
    I haul three sometimes as well with the same technique, however when I haul three I put a 2x4 perpendicular to the the bed of the truck, over the full size spare to evenly support two on the bottom. The third sits centered on top of the two, then ratchet down. Not going anywhere lol.

10. Dec 13, 2012 at 5:05 PM
    the544man

the544man Member

Member:
    Dallas, OR
    Vehicle:
    2007 PreRunner
    check out my new setup. I installed a Thule bar up on the cab too and it comes out perfectly level. to deal with the slope of the canoe i used two foam canoe pads on the middle bar and all i good. we had it out in central oregon 2 or 3 times last summer. cheers. ted

image.jpg

11. Dec 13, 2012 at 5:08 PM
    the544man

the544man Member

Member:
    Dallas, OR
    Vehicle:
    2007 PreRunner
    near three sisters in bend, Oregon image.jpg cheers ted

12. Dec 13, 2012 at 5:10 PM
    the544man

the544man Member

Member:
    Dallas, OR
    Vehicle:
    2007 PreRunner
    image.jpg. heres a pic getting ready for a trip. Ted

13. Dec 14, 2012 at 9:59 AM
    Bino9905

Bino9905 Well-Known Member

Member:
    TX
    Vehicle:
    99 ExtCab 4X4 V-6 TRD
    I have a 13 foot yak that I use for fishing, but thinking of getting a 16 footer that tracks better in the water for those longer trips. Currently just use the roof rack, but it affects the mpg and im always worried its not going to hold up to the weight and force put on it at 70 mph
    I really like and changing to the set up that that Surf Taco has because it keeps it off your roof and it lets you keep the tail gate up for all the other gear.
    However with a 6 foot bed that still leaves 7 to 10 foot of kayak sticking out the back!
    Might have to couple it with a hitch style bed extender in order to suport the kayak hanging off the end of my truck.

If money was not an option, then I would get this

http://www.deezee.com/products/3292...A-Rack_Cargo_Management_System.html/video.asp

The yakima bed racks are real nice but they are always on your truck and many of them "whistle" the entire time you drive.
    The one above is "hidden" when not in use and can hold up to 500 pounds.

14. Dec 14, 2012 at 10:12 AM
    TacoDaTugBoat

TacoDaTugBoat Well-Known Member

Member:
    Goshen, Ct
    Vehicle:
    13 DCLB TRD Sport
    From this
    [​IMG]
    to this
    [​IMG]

I love using the cap. I can go camping with the kayaks and sleep under them.

15. Dec 14, 2012 at 2:28 PM
    xcmtb83

xcmtb83 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Iowa
  16. Dec 17, 2012 at 11:16 AM
    Voyager

Voyager Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    04 Tacoma DC 4X4 TRD V6
    OME Suspension kit Magnaflow SS catback, ARE cap, Yakima kayak & bike racks, Deck Lid, Westin Safari Light Bar.
    I decided to drill and bolt the racks to the fiberglass cap. Seemed much safer than screwing into the cab sheet metal.

DSC_0100.jpg

17. Feb 2, 2013 at 6:59 PM
    Free2Roam

Free2Roam Member

Member:
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport Quad Cab
    Hey Voyager, Nice rig. Have you ever carried a canoe on the rack? I'm wondering if it clears the double cab or not? I'm having a dilemma on how to carry my canoe on my new dbl cab with a cap. Roof racks on the cap, roof racks on the cab or will I need both (uhg)?

Thanks for the info.

Cheers

18. Feb 3, 2013 at 11:31 AM
    NegroTundra

NegroTundra Well-Known Member

Member:
    Land of Enchantment
    Vehicle:
    03 Tacoma TRD 4WD 5 spd
    F2R, I have carried my canoe with it just attached to the cap, and have also carried it with it tied to both cap and cab via a single tube yakima attachment. I did not find that it was any more secure with it attached to both, so now i just attach to the cap. Plus the wind noise generated by the cross bar on the cab is a bit much for more than a 30 minute drive. Cant answer your question for the double cab, but this is what worked for me.

IMG_1616_zps5299c05c_5095754b1dafadd6ae69483e0817f61371a15f6a.jpg

IMG_1615_zpsce025d4f_db0889fa6c618c3fc0b77bb4763c7f07bf334489.jpg

CL012_25a9ddf87480a935a37afcfdc33ecde5e85580ba.jpg

19. Aug 12, 2013 at 8:40 AM
    Giznary

Giznary Member

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2010 DoubleCab 6spd manual
    Firestone air suspension, SnugTop Rebel
    *EDIT (updated Sep. 23, 2013)*
    I wanted to update this thread with some unfortunate (for me) news. Hopefully I can help someone avoid the issue I have encountered. After using this method a few times I was saddened to find some dimpled areas where the rear-bar-feet had been pressed into the sheet-metal with a bit too much force. I have an 18ft long (~70 lbs) canoe and a couple of mountain bikes (about 20 to 30 lbs each). Having that much weight on the rack and, more to the point, having that much weight to the rear of the rack, led to the dimples over the rear passenger doors.
    I am going to look at mounting one of the bars on the rear of the camper, which should properly distribute the weight.

Long story short. Don't do what you see in the picture unless you are OK with possible damage to the roof!

---Previous post---
    Greetings all, I wanted to post a pic of my standard Yakima rack hauling our 18ft OldTown Discovery. I have had this rack for a long time (this will be the third vehicle) but have only used it for mountain-bikes up until now. It was not cheap (you can price one out, but they are usually about $400 when all is said and done) so, as you might imagine, I did not want to add/change anything if I didn't have to, but (thanks to the SnugTop camper shell) I wasn't sure the normal position for the rack would work. I was afraid that either the front of the canoe would limit visibility, or that the rear would touch the cap and I would have to get a (pricey) kit or set of brackets to attach at least one of the two rack bars to the cap itself.

After debating with myself I finally decided just to try it with no modifications.

As you can see with the canoe positioned just right it is perfect. I drove about three hours with it like that on highways/surface streets and even in some rough terrain heading to the lake. The canoe was rock-solid and never touched the cap (except gently when I take the straps off, it is barely balanced to the rear and wants to tip that direction. Having someone hold the end while removing the straps solves this problem).

So if you already have one the Yakima will handle a large canoe and not touch a standard-level camper shell (mine's a SnugTop Rebel). I was a bit worried it would flex and mar the shell (it's about three inches away) but it proved to be just fine.

If you go this route I recommend getting a set of these to help you set the location of the canoe on the rack < http://www.yakima.com/shop/racksystems/accessories/universal-snar > I paid about $11 for four at REI (so don't buy them from the url!), then bought bolts from the hardware store for about $2. Once you have the canoe where you want it just bolt them up against the boat. once there it is easy to put the boat in just the right place every time.

So it is an expensive solution if you don't already have the rack, but cheap to add canoe carrying functionality if you do :)
    ---Previous post---

Summer_2013 016.jpg

Last edited: Sep 24, 2013
  20. Nov 9, 2015 at 6:08 PM
    Heady Expedition

Heady Expedition Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Greenville NC
    Vehicle:
    '01 SR5 TRD OFF ROAD
    3" lift, bilsteins, ARB Bull bar, Warn 9xi, K&N cold air intake, etc.
    Hauling my buddie's Old Town Discovery up top and my solo Old Town Guide 119 in the back, for a day out on the Tarunnamed (3).jpg

Products Discussed in

To Top