1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Anyone have a pic of the roof with the headliner removed?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Seventh, Jun 19, 2013.

1. Jun 19, 2013 at 8:30 PM
    Seventh

Seventh [OP] Insert witty title here

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Boston, MA
    Vehicle:
    2001 Reg Cab 4x4
    I'm going to take the plunge and toss in one of those CRL popup sunroofs, and I'm hoping that I can be lazy and go in from the top w/o dropping the headliner (and just hack through it from the other side, hohoho).

Anyone happen to have a stripped interior shot of the roof? Just curious if there are any crossbraces/supports/etc in there that I'll need to deal with, or if I can just plow right through it with a body saw and some air shears.

2. Jun 19, 2013 at 11:54 PM
    SeattleCoug

SeattleCoug Washington State University

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Oceanside, CA
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Off-Road
    Jesus man! If you're gonna be hacking your truck maybe you ought to be safer than sorry when it comes to permanent mods like that... I'm scared to even hear something like that haha.

I don't remember what was underneath but I know when I took out my headliner it'll take you 45 minutes TOPS. Definitely worth the time as opposed to hacking away.

Good luck!

3. Jun 20, 2013 at 5:28 AM
    Southern01Taco

Southern01Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Holden, La
    Vehicle:
    01 V6 4x4 Xtra Cab SR5
    There should be a couple crossbraces up there. I haven't ever looked at the tacoma but it should be C-channel type braces spot welded with the opening of the channel to the roof. They should be running from windshield to backglass and might have two going from door to door. If you use a sawzall or jigsaw, it will blow right through the braces because they are usually the same thickness as the roof but I doubt shears will work.

To Top