1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Anyone have AC problems after frame replacement?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Diane, Jul 25, 2016.

1. Jul 25, 2016 at 1:15 PM
    Diane

Diane [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Diane
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma
    My '05 Tacoma had the frame replaced last week. I was told it was covered under recall and there would be no cost to me. While it was torn apart i got a call that said there were a couple issues and they recommend fixing them. Parking brake cables were corroded, cabin air filter was very dirty, couple other minor things. I said "yes" to the parking brake fix, paid $395.34 and got the truck back with new frame and parking brake seemed to be working fine.

Now 2 things are wrong: The e-brake is locked up and the AC doesn't work.

5 days after i got it back the e-brake locked up and i was unable to move the truck at all. I left a msg with Toyota last night and got a call first thing this morning and they had it towed to Toyota dealership. The service advisor said the brakes were locked when they got it but now they are working fine. They want to let it sit and see if it locks up again.

The day after I got it back the AC made horrible noises and is not working. The service advisor said the AC problem is a compressor clutch and it does NOT seem related to the frame replacement. The paperwork I got from the frame replacement included an item: "A/C recharged and compressor gaskets".

The service advisor said he would get me an estimate on how much it would cost for them to fix my AC. From my view, the AC was working fine, the frame was replaced and something was done to the AC and now it's broke. I don't think I should have to pay to fix this.

Anyone else have issues with the AC after a frame replacement or have any suggestions?

2. Jul 25, 2016 at 2:19 PM
    Hot Tacoma Blown

Hot Tacoma Blown Well-Known Member

Member:
    NewYork
    Vehicle:
    05 4×4 tacoma
    Super charged,urd u - conn computer 7th injector, headers, pipe bomb y pipe,high flow exhaust.etc....
    Well. Had my 05 done in February of 2016 Up Here in NY they don't disconnect ac or antifreeze connections.Only brake lines gas and power steering hoses etc.Did they cradle like mine or ripped everything apart? Is the gas low in system?Need to ask Tec What he did not the manager.Nice shiny frame new parts but no air I wish you well.Go get them!

3. Jul 25, 2016 at 2:20 PM
    Hot Tacoma Blown

Member:
    NewYork
    Vehicle:
    05 4×4 tacoma
    Super charged,urd u - conn computer 7th injector, headers, pipe bomb y pipe,high flow exhaust.etc....
    Ps welcome to Tacoma World. As I say look around and get some info!

4. Jul 25, 2016 at 3:35 PM
    hotrod53

hotrod53 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lynd
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    ‘14 DCLB Sport, ‘18 TCH, ‘13 TCH
    Weathertech floor liners moded to hold OEM floor mats, weathertech vent visors, Toyota bed mat, LEER 100XL cap, hood gasket mod to stop whistling.
    I had a short block put in my '13 and the AC quit. Once they have been apart like that, anything is possible.

5. Jul 25, 2016 at 5:34 PM
    ChemDawg

ChemDawg Well-Known Member

Member:
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    2005 sr5 4x4
    I also have an 05 tacoma.. It's kinda odd mine had same two issues (but was found durring inspection prior to frame replacement) eitherway I had them both done out of my own pocket, but i figured 2005 truck was old enough to deserve those two items fixed anyways.

6. Jul 25, 2016 at 5:42 PM
    JWROSE4

JWROSE4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonny
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCSB SR5 4X4
    Work In Progress
    I worked with two different individuals who had there frames replaced. Both had AC issues afterwards. Ended up they didnt recharge the system properly. Take it back and they have to fix it back to working order as it was when you dropped it off. It is their problem not yours.

JS760, Old_Skool and Lester Lugnut like this.
  7. Jul 26, 2016 at 3:50 AM
    yelostar

yelostar gibsmedat

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD OR
    Previous poster makes a good argument: You dropped off a vehicle with a normal functioning AC system; the dealer did in fact work on the AC system, and is supposed to CHECK it once they've completed the work, to make sure it's functioning properly. It really looks like they dropped the ball here.

8. Jul 26, 2016 at 3:56 AM
    Clearwater Bill

Clearwater Bill Never answer an anonymous letter

Member:
    First Name:
    Billy
    Largo Florida
    Vehicle:
    '13 5 lug AC w/convenience package
    A few OE parts from fancy trucks
    Doesn't matter if they do/did or not. They shouldn't, assuming, like yours, the system worked properly prior.

9. Jul 26, 2016 at 2:49 PM
    tacoholic05

tacoholic05 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    05' 4x4
    My a/c started leaking where the line goes in the condenser at the front of the truck behind the bumper. Took it back and they stated they never removed the lines and showed me a frame replacement truck in the bay - sure enough. They did quote me $1500 for a new condenser and fill though. I bought the gasket kit off ebay for $15 bucks and had a local shop replace the gasket and fill $125. So roughly $150 and its blowing ice cold air with no leaks. Your e-brake situation worries me more than the a/c not working. Usually brakes do not "lock-up" and then become "free" without some underlying issue.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  10. Nov 1, 2016 at 1:12 PM
    Recker

Recker Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Recker
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma 4x4 Indigo Ink Pearl
    Needs whoring LOL
    I know this is an old thread, just got my truck back from frame replacement Friday....Ac not working for me either.

11. Nov 2, 2016 at 4:21 PM
    Hot Tacoma Blown

Member:
    NewYork
    Vehicle:
    05 4×4 tacoma
    Just looking at ac lines will make them leak.No kidding any movement can make them leak one side suction other high pressure .Ho then cold then hot again.The system does a lot of fluctuations!

12. Nov 2, 2016 at 5:01 PM
    Recker

Recker Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Recker
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    Needs whoring LOL
    Thank you Hottie LOL....I called the dealership that did the frame replacement and I'm taking it back out. No charge. I'll let you know.

13. Nov 3, 2016 at 3:37 PM
    tacofish

tacofish Well-Known Member

Member:
    N NJ
    Vehicle:
    14 ext cab 4x4
    3/1 lowrange spacer lift 285/70/17 wildpeaks
    My frame (05)was done April2015.
    Didn't check ac right away but when it got hot and I used it wasn't blowing as cold as it should.
    When I called the dealer they said didn't touch it but bring it in.
    I had tons of problems with this dealer and ever time I bring my truck in for recall work they give me a bs list of all the work my truck needs.
    They r full of sh*t!!
    Paid local guy to charge ac system and its been blowing cold ever since.

14. Nov 3, 2016 at 7:33 PM
    Recker

Recker Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Recker
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    Needs whoring LOL

15. Nov 3, 2016 at 7:36 PM
    Recker

Recker Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Recker
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    Needs whoring LOL
    I'm sorry about your experience. When I spoke with the dealership they said, something was not either hooked up right or they forgot to charge the ac. So I will drop my truck off on Sunday to be worked on first thing Monday. I am peeved that I can't get a loaner because I only have liability. My truck is paid for....was without it for 10 days bumming rides. Now back in again and without a ride.

16. Nov 4, 2016 at 4:34 PM
    tacofish

tacofish Well-Known Member

Member:
    N NJ
    Vehicle:
    14 ext cab 4x4
    3/1 lowrange spacer lift 285/70/17 wildpeaks
    Surprised they didn't give u a loaner, I thought that was always part of the deal.
    Let us know how u make out.
    Good luck.

17. Nov 15, 2016 at 10:47 AM
    Recker

Recker Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Recker
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    Needs whoring LOL
    Update to my post on this thread. Took my truck back to the dealer to see why my ac was not working after frame replacement. They called today and said that my compressor is out and it's just coincidental that it happened right after frame replacement as they do not touch the compressor. Gave me an estimate of $1187.00 to fix it with an after market compressor. I'm not happy as I had no issues whatsoever with my ac prior to frame replacement.

18. Nov 16, 2016 at 5:52 AM
    hotrod53

hotrod53 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lynd
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    ‘14 DCLB Sport, ‘18 TCH, ‘13 TCH
    Weathertech floor liners moded to hold OEM floor mats, weathertech vent visors, Toyota bed mat, LEER 100XL cap, hood gasket mod to stop whistling.
    How odd.... the guy who bought my old '06 just got a new frame. His dealer told him his compressor was bad too. His truck at 210,000 I guess there's no shame in the compressor being bad, but I hope these dealers aren't scamming to makeup lost margin on the frame jobs. They also told him he needed upper ball joints and charged him a total of $1,500.

19. May 13, 2018 at 7:12 PM
    JSB10

JSB10 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma
    I had my frame done and the AC has not been cold like it was before when it froze me to death now its just cool. When I turned it on it took like 10 minutes to get cool. I don't think they even checked it after charging it.Had to take truck back to dealership after frame replacement to have them replace my rear shocks they broke and two more times to have my steering adjusted. Gonna take truck to local shop to have AC checked.

20. May 17, 2018 at 1:53 AM
    george3

george3 Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2008 2.7 Manual Trans Tacoma
    Seat belt beeper, Cabelas (Weathertech) floor liner gray, Covercraft Seat Savers in Taupe, Protecta Heavy Duty Rubber Truck Bed Mat, Pop n Lock PL5200, Pace Edwards Full Metal JackRabbit, Wolverine oil pan heater, Scangauge2, afe pro dry s filter, Remote Underbody 4 Piece LED Light Kit (White) used as Bed light, DIY Washable Cabin Air Filter, PA15-TOY, 4x4 Illuminated Switch, full synthetic, Redline Tuning Hood Support, Smittybilt Nerf Steps black powder-coated
    Kudos to Crestmont in NJ - no scam - didn't try to sell me a bunch of BS and gave me a car while the work was done.

Products Discussed in

To Top