1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Anyone have kidney stones?

Discussion in 'Health' started by TnRedNeck721, Mar 2, 2013.

1. Dec 26, 2013 at 9:16 PM
    TrdSurgie

TrdSurgie revised

Member:
    SoCal
    Rear leaf spring tsb 5000 miles, w ac fan 26k miles, windshield creaking 28k miles- not warranty. Bad upper idler pulleys 32k miles- not warranty, Toyota Quality!
    Drink more water...

2. Dec 27, 2013 at 8:51 PM
    07regtacoman

07regtacoman Well-Known Member

Member:
    Davis Ca
    Vehicle:
    07 Silver REG Cab
    Painted arm rests, 2011 front grille,Readylift for 5lug.
    Sucks for sure.On my way to work at 4:30 in the morning in sept when it hit.Was the worst.You cant stay still and the pain is the freaking worst.3 shots of dilaudid and I was in happy town.Dilaudid was told is like ten times more powerful than morphine.Drinking water after by the bottle and still took 4 weeks later to pass it.Hold your junk to build back pressure and let it rip.Goes off like a gun and barely felt it.Mine was anly slightly larger than 2mm.

3. Jan 18, 2014 at 9:11 PM
    hitmans.army

hitmans.army Just a guy.

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Myrtle Creek, OR
    Vehicle:
    '07 PreRunner & '40 Chrysler Coupe
    Bilstein 5100s up front with OME 885s, rear Add-A-Leaf, LED lights (tails, dome, map, plate lights), Kicker 8" in custom fiberglass enclosure under back seat, Kicker speakers throughout and Kicker amp for sub, Pioneer DVD Player, Satoshi Grille with Devil Horns, Leer 100XQ.
    Went with water and unsweetened cranberry juice. Passed a 3.5mm and a bunch of sand, best way to describe it.

4. Jan 18, 2014 at 9:18 PM
    TrdSurgie

TrdSurgie revised

Member:
    SoCal
    Rear leaf spring tsb 5000 miles, w ac fan 26k miles, windshield creaking 28k miles- not warranty. Bad upper idler pulleys 32k miles- not warranty, Toyota Quality!
    Water is good ;-)

5. Jan 18, 2014 at 10:49 PM
    hitmans.army

hitmans.army Just a guy.

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Myrtle Creek, OR
    Vehicle:
    '07 PreRunner & '40 Chrysler Coupe
    Bilstein 5100s up front with OME 885s, rear Add-A-Leaf, LED lights (tails, dome, map, plate lights), Kicker 8" in custom fiberglass enclosure under back seat, Kicker speakers throughout and Kicker amp for sub, Pioneer DVD Player, Satoshi Grille with Devil Horns, Leer 100XQ.
    Except southern Arizona water.

6. Jan 18, 2014 at 11:09 PM
    TrdSurgie

TrdSurgie revised

Member:
    SoCal
    Nope. Its still good.

7. Feb 7, 2014 at 10:21 AM
    Kenobe

Kenobe Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma TRD Sport
    I had my first one right before Christmas. I thought my kidney would explode. It took:
    - One surgery to try and get it out. Doc couldn't reach it (too high up) so he put a stint in from my kidney to my bladder. I peed myself several times the next few days.
    - 5 days later the doc pulled the stint out. OMG what a flash of pain that was. Over the next two weeks the stone did drop some.
    - Two weeks after the first I surgery the doc tried again to go get it. Lucky the 6x4MM stone finally dropped enough for him to grab. Doc put another stint in as the ureta can contract after trauma like that.
    - A few days later the doc pulled out the 2nd stint. Yowee that wasn't fun again.

The guys at work asked, "Where did he cut you?" Oh, he didn't cut me. He went in thru my pecker for those 4 procedures with my feet up in the stirrups. During the two surgeries I was knocked out. During the two stint removals I wasn't. The stint removals take all of 30 seconds but there's no pride left after something like that. He sticks a scope in, grabs the stint, and pulls very fast. After the surgeries I pissed fiery lava for 3 days.

I'm pretty sure I had the stone because I was not drinking enough water (too much coffee instead).

Right after that I had 2 pancreatic attacks. That hurts just as much as kidney stones and I spent 3 days in the hospital during the 2nd attack. Those mess up your liver functions and can cause organ damage. Alcoholism is a major cause for that but I only have like 2 beers a month. My doc is still trying to determine root cause for that.

8. Aug 6, 2014 at 3:38 PM
    island taco

island taco Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Vince
    victoria, bc, canada
    Vehicle:
    '10 DC SR5
    I never felt pain like it! Felt like trying to pee a thorny golf ball. Have had 3 attacks and passed 2. Had to remove the other by surgery because of the size. My doc said if you can save the stone they can analise it to see what your eating that's causing them. He told me to pee through nylons. Also drink plenty of water. It helps flush before they begin.

9. Aug 6, 2014 at 6:57 PM
    JDM

JDM Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jimmy
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2009 DCSB TRD OR S/C
    TRD Supercharger TRD exhaust
    Have had a few large ones - the largest at 6mm. Pretty sure I've passed small ones here and there. The pain is the worst. I vomit over and over up front (didn't hear folks mention this), then it's just the pain in the lower back.

Each one was a different experience:
    - first one caused me pain for about 5 hours, then stopped. It apparently had retreated back to the kidney. Pissed through a strainer for about two weeks and caught it - no pain. It's arrival was a surprise.
    - second one was the 6mm. I was told that 1-5mm was considered "passable". They gave me some options and I went with trying to pass it. Spend two days in the hospital doped up and passed it. Knew it was coming, and it was uncomfortable, and plenty of blood in the urine.
    - third one was 4.5mm IIRC. Went to ER, got checked out and some good meds, then released with a prescription for some med pills I'm holding onto for the next attack (found out my med insurance doesn't cover as much of the ER visit as it used to - yikes! don't want to go back there unless I'm dying). Turns out I didn't use the meds, as the pain passed. Within a week I passed it - knew that one was coming too but not too painful.

10. Oct 1, 2014 at 5:38 PM
    Possum Fat

Possum Fat You gonna eat your cornbread?

Member:
    Little Dixie
    Vehicle:
    Caucasion 2010 DC LB 4WD
    I get them shittin stones about once every 2 years or so. Started in fall of 2009. Woke up with this feeling like a bad cramp in my lower back. That just got worse by the minute. 30 minutes later the pain so bad I was puking off the front porch. Went later that morning to urgent care. They did a ct scan and told me pretty much what every one else did. I had a stone. I never saw that particular stone so it must've been no bigger than a grain of sand.

Since then I've passed a few that were in the 6mm range. Never had em analyzed yet. One day I might. Funny thing is, I've never barfed during an attack since that first one, and I know I've passed bigger once since.

Now I pretty much have a protocol when I first feel my back getting that cramping feeling.

First thing I do is swallow 4 ibuprofin for the pain, and I lean back on a heating pad. Then I just sit back and drink and drink and drink as much water as I can while watching episodes of The Boondocks or Squidbillies. Then I drink some more. If I have it, I'll drink a few beers too. That seems to help me relax despite the pain. Pretty soon I'm pissing almost nonstop for several hours and it gets that stone moving. Most the time when I get a stone, from start of the pain till it goes away or I pass it is no more than 3-4 hours.

To Top