1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Anyone have one of these ottonavi units?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by chatapuggy1, Sep 7, 2011.

1. Sep 7, 2011 at 1:21 PM
    chatapuggy1

chatapuggy1 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    2009 Double Cab TRD Off-Road
    I am getting tired of all the cigarette lighter devices in my truck (Phones, Garmin, IPOD) and mainly want this unit for the GPS and the SD card options. I have some friends who have the knock off universal units in their cars and they do just fine for the price.

I called the warehouse, and I am local so the guy tells me I can check it out in person and he will bench test it for me and all so I can see if its what I am looking for.

Personally, I was going to go with the JVC GPS Head unit, but this one the guy tells me on the phone, is totally plug and play, even steering wheel controls and JBL. No harnesses, no cutting. And I can get a local discount we will discuss when I come in.

Just curious if anyone had it yet and was up and running, it seems to be brand new just for our truck.

If not, I will snap some photos and let you know if and when I get it and post a review. I understand not everyone wants to go this route, but I don't have the time to even do the install on a better unit, this one seems to get me in the door and at least get my navi off the windshield and clean up my cords.

http://www.ottonavi.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=53_117&products_id=238

2. Sep 7, 2011 at 1:24 PM
    06BLUEDBLSPORT

06BLUEDBLSPORT Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Fort Wayne Indiana
    Vehicle:
    12 Tundra DC SR5 4x4 5.7L
    True Dual Flowmaster 40 Series exhaust, Volant CAI, HIDs, Raptor series Side Steps, Weathertech Floorliners, OME 613 Shocks and Coils with Diff Drop, Rear Bilstein 5100 Shocks, ToyTec AAL, Fearless Fabrication Front Bumper
    this is like the 6th thread ive seen on this in like 4 days. Its not OEM, no on here has one yet although i think someone just bought one. one is made by ATX and the other Rosen, rosen makes great stuff. but both do have a great look to them

3. Sep 7, 2011 at 1:28 PM
    chatapuggy1

Member:
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    Yeah, I noticed the recent posts too, I know I wasn't the only one looking for an easier option. I called about the rosen unit, and I do like the fact that you can get the rosen unit in the black or silver faceplate option. I see not so good reviews on some of the rosen stuff and the JBL harness isnt plug and play at least from what I am reading. Besides the Rosen rep told me they aren't out as of yet, later in the fall possibly they are due to hit, but price will be like $1100.

I am into the rosen black faceplate option though, since I am gonna try an upgrade to some black dash pieces now that the 12's are coming.....I dont have to paint parts!

What worries me though is both these units have bluetooth mics built-in on the unit, and usually the quality of the mics suck bad, and because they are cheap units, there usually is no option on an external mic.

I am going to swing by tomorrow after work and see one in person, I will let you guys know whats up....

4. Sep 7, 2011 at 1:46 PM
    06BLUEDBLSPORT

06BLUEDBLSPORT Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Fort Wayne Indiana
    Vehicle:
    12 Tundra DC SR5 4x4 5.7L
    True Dual Flowmaster 40 Series exhaust, Volant CAI, HIDs, Raptor series Side Steps, Weathertech Floorliners, OME 613 Shocks and Coils with Diff Drop, Rear Bilstein 5100 Shocks, ToyTec AAL, Fearless Fabrication Front Bumper
    hmmm i thought rosen would have put them on the market already. Im mixed about it, i love the factory look alot, but im not sure how they will stand up to the abuse and what not of being in a truck. i have a 1200 dollar alpine HU in my truck that works great, but im thinking of getting one of these now. ill wait and see what everyone does. let us know how they look in person

5. Sep 7, 2011 at 1:51 PM
    chatapuggy1

Member:
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    Yeah, I have a Kenwood in my other ride and love it, everything feels HQ about it, you get what you pay for thats for sure. I have a buddy who has the rosen in his Camry and it looks real nice, but is weak compared to the Alpines, Pioneers, Kenwoods. But like me, he just mainly wanted the GPS and was worried about the aftermarket look. I kinda dont want the custom look for all to see, I park in the city on the street a lot and someone already stole my center caps!

whippersnapper02, I would have to agree with you, I would go with the Rosen over the ATX anyday, I will head over to Ontario tomorrow and check them out, the sales guy tells me they have it all over there...

6. Jan 21, 2012 at 2:44 PM
    mycarrunfaster

mycarrunfaster Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    eddy
    los angeles
    Vehicle:
    2005 tacoma
    can you tell me if your unit can go online, thank you:):):)

7. Jan 21, 2012 at 2:49 PM
    mycarrunfaster

Member:
    First Name:
    eddy
    los angeles
    Vehicle:
    2005 tacoma
    please tell me if it is worth the money to buy the unit for i dont know anything about dvd gps bluetooth but i need to have gps and bluetooth cause i travel alot and my wife always call me...

8. Dec 8, 2012 at 10:27 AM
    abrg

abrg Member

Member:
    I got this new Ottonavi in October around the 26th 2012, and immediately had problems with GPS not finding the software I accidentally touched the SD card while trying to turn it off with knob while driving and it was so hot it blistered my finger. I contacted Ottonavi the following Monday after about a week no response so decided I would take the restock fee and call it quits since I had already got one and returned it to Amazon prior to this one Amazon accepted it back but it was not in stock and they talked like they were not getting anymore in... I called Ottonavi they said first to try making a new map the original sd card was probably bad they sent a link it download a new map that took 2 days to download a new map their server is slow I have 10 gig download speed . I made a new SD card map installed it and despite not being able to get the radio time and the GPS time in sync when the GPS displayed 12 hour with am and pm the radio displayed military 24 hour time and vice versa could not get them to sync. Despite that it seemed to work ok in my driveway I was never quite sure as there were no instructions with it for installion and the instruction manual was not translated to English enough to read and make sense and skipped around as if you are supposed to know how their unit is supposed to work. I think it would be nice if they would include instructions describing all the possible connections .There were some wires were labeled Speed Ottonavi support could not tell me what they were for. Then it messed up again first time I tried to used the GPS so I contacted them wanting to return it for refund well it had gone past the 30 day,n because they wanted me to try these other maps they will not accept it back for refund and will only exchange it. I returned for replacement I have proof of delivery was promised they would ship it out that day and send a tracking number when it shipped which I have not received and was promised again yesterday it would ship yesterday. One other very annoying thing about it is that even the low setting for back light it is way too bright at night there are listed choices of backgrounds and voices that do not have any program to operate it. The key chime and door chime sound like very loud sonar in a submarine real cheesy and a loud clock tic sound when turn signal is on. Need I say I feel jerked around by Ottonavi just long enough to get it out of the 30 day refund period I clearly said I wanted to return it for refund the first time because of my prior experience with one from Amazon and their lack of response? I have regrets of ever getting this unit.

9. Apr 4, 2013 at 11:00 AM
    mycarrunfaster

Member:
    First Name:
    eddy
    los angeles
    Vehicle:
    2005 tacoma
    Hello! My dvd gps has no xm radio! How can i get one ? is anyone selling the xm radio separately...? We got the radio with dvd gps from you guys also... last year! still under warranty and what to do...

10. Oct 31, 2013 at 12:41 PM
    tacoJAK

tacoJAK Nothin like a Toyota...

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Middleboro
    Vehicle:
    06 Base 4x4
    None yet...

I had one on my 2007 Silverado, and I loved it. It pluged right in and worked right away. No issues. I just did not like the bluetooth microphone since it was huge. (what i mean by that is to use the phones bluetooth calling feature thingy through the radio, it needed a separate microphone)

11. Nov 1, 2013 at 4:35 AM
    abrg

abrg Member

Member:
    These r not really just plug and play though it plugs in it has a can bus adapter box that with all the xtra about 60 wires has to be crammed into a tight cavity my experience was a multitude of not good, and to my knowledge though I was promised by ottonavi several times as soon as they got an update for the software that fixed the numerous bugs in the unit, they would notify me I have never been notified and get no response of the software update .I ended up getting a good pioneer unit that looks as good over all works better than all 4 of the units I got from ottonavi trying to get a functional unit none of the ottonavi units lined up well with the dash and although the pioneer is not a custom fit it actually looks that it is and lines up better with the opening no uneven gaps like the 4 ottonavi units I had trying to get a functional one, the pioneer is still flawless the Ottonavi came out with Igo * maps which appear pirated not complete and dysfunctional though light years better than this cheesy map the substituted it with because it was not compatible had issues with compatibility with sysytem clock which would create a chain of bugs which causes a chain if glitches The ottonavi now sits on a very visible shelf in my shop with a note hanging from it reminding me and anyone who looks at it to never buy one of these again with a description of my experience with the unit. Ottonavi told me they use these in new cars I believe were that the true case it would have a built in can bus adapter not a gob of wires with a cheesy can bus box that has no volumne control so the sonar sound and turn signals sound that usually goes through the speakers you just have to turn off from the awful sounds they make

12. Nov 2, 2013 at 1:32 PM
    abrg

abrg Member

Member:
    i WOULD LIKE TO ADD THAT THE MIC FOR oTTONAVI BLUE TOOTH PICKED UP ABOUT EVERYTHING EXCEPT MY VOICE HAD TO YELL AT IT EVEN AFTER GETTING A NOISE CANCELLING MIC FOR IT

13. Nov 8, 2013 at 2:15 PM
    abrg

abrg Member

Member:
    I just put in a Boss BV9380NV not the BV93870nv but this went in without a hitch replaced the 7 inch ouku I had in dually it just did not look right with the big 7 inch screen to me I like knobs and analog gauges though, . I had it in my dually truck this unit is lights years ahead of the Ottonavi I had , with the Boss time is accurate everywhere the Boss has a bunch of BS apps like many conversion tables calculator , etc This Boss has an excellent map it is Igo Prime not a pirated butchered up version, 3D maps it will make suggestions or tips in traffic detour which is easy to use it does take a bit to load, but I always let the diesel run a bit b4 going but once it does load it works flawless for $236.00 delivered has a 3 year warranty from seller a dealer perk, many places offer it for 25 more it cost less than half as much as the Ottonavi and works more than 3 times better has great radio reception looks really good and music sounds perfect I cannot say that about the Ottonavi, . The Boss could stand to have 2 knobs for volumn and one for changing radio channels so could the Ottonavi that would actually roll thru channels instead of advance a few at a time on radio but has touch preset stations

Last edited: Nov 8, 2013

Products Discussed in

To Top