1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Anyone have the Level Rite for their Firestone airbags?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Priddle, Oct 16, 2010.

1. Oct 16, 2010 at 7:49 AM
    Priddle

Priddle [OP] And now for something completely different....

Member:
    St. John's, NL Canada
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Sport DCSB
    Current: Pelfreybilt front and rear bumpers, winch, icon front coils/shocks, Icon rear shocks, Dakar leafs, Camberg UCAs, Pumpkin Android stereo, custom sub box w/ 2x10" RF subs and Kicker amp, short shifter kit, Fuel Beast 18" wheels w/ 1mm offset, BFG AT2 285/65/18
    I have the Ride Rite airbags. I have had them now for a week perhaps and can already see how manually inflating/deflating is going to be a pain. Does anyone have the Level Rite kits? Where did you install the compressor? and the valve block? If you installed after a previous RR install, did you run all new lines or tie into the existing RR lines?

I was debating on the 2415 kit. It has a standard compressor. I may use it a couple of times a week. Should that be ok?

Thanks

2. Oct 16, 2010 at 8:22 AM
    David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    Curious, why is it a pain? I had Ride Rites on my '05 to cure the bottoming out. Normally 15 psi in them was perfect and 30 psi for heavy loads... The air fill valves were installed on my bumper on each side of the license plate, and it took just a couple of seconds of air added to raise the truck/ increase the pressure. I rarely had to add any air, otherwise.

3. Oct 16, 2010 at 9:10 AM
    Fortech

Fortech Well-Known Member

Member:
    CANADA
    Vehicle:
    2005 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR
    Bilstein 5100's, rear TSB, Firestone bags
    X2

What are you using to add air Priddle? If I had to hook up a 12v compressor each and every time it would be a pain. I just use a small mtn bike pump that you can get at any Cdn Tire, Wal Mart, etc.

There are two things that I don't like about the air compressor system:

1. Cost

2. Unsure how the compressor setup would handle/vent condensation.

After awhile and especially this time of year and winter when the temps regularly fluctuate, the air inside the bags develop condensation which in turn introduces air to the system. Anyone who regularly runs an air system during the winter will tell you how much of a pain air in the system is - especially when it freezes. Every now and then when I check the air pressure or hook up my pump I get a fair amount of water spill out with the air. Not a big amount mind you, but from experience enough to freeze the valve stems in the winter months. Just something for you to keep in mind before you load the sled up for the weekend only to find your valves frozen.

I find that if I remove the valve stem from the air chuck and pump the bags up to 60-70 psi or and quickly let it escapes most of the moisture gets forced from the system. I don't have to do it often but I have had frozen valves a number of times over the past few years.

4. Oct 16, 2010 at 9:19 AM
    Priddle

Member:
    St. John's, NL Canada
    Vehicle:
    Current: Pelfreybilt front and rear bumpers, winch, icon front coils/shocks, Icon rear shocks, Dakar leafs, Camberg UCAs, Pumpkin Android stereo, custom sub box w/ 2x10" RF subs and Kicker amp, short shifter kit, Fuel Beast 18" wheels w/ 1mm offset, BFG AT2 285/65/18
    Thanks for the feedback. Maybe this is not so much a good idea. And its the winter months where I'd be using the system the most.

I've been using the pump for my FOX float shock that came with the sled. I need a pump that is capable of more volume on a stroke.

I have a 20G compressor in my shed but that is no good for on-the-fly needed changes in PSI. I was figuring I let the PSI down to 5 when off-roading where a suspension flex may happen....then add 5-10 back when done. I figured the Level Rite kit would make that convenient at least.

Maybe I just need a good hand pump.

5. Oct 16, 2010 at 9:43 AM
    Fortech

Fortech Well-Known Member

Member:
    CANADA
    Vehicle:
    2005 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR
    Bilstein 5100's, rear TSB, Firestone bags
  6. Oct 16, 2010 at 3:05 PM
    Priddle

Member:
    St. John's, NL Canada
    Vehicle:
    Fellow Arctic Cat man hey?? lol Are you on Sled-Headz or the Lewis Hillbillies sites? I have a platform too...well, making a new one for the new truck. I had that and my M8 HCR in the back of my 03. It stuck out quite the ways lol

I went to C-Tire after and got one of those pumps...it was on sale for $5.99. I am going to find a gauge for it I think.

Thanks!

Products Discussed in

To Top