1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Anyone here hike or bike the Rim a lot?

Discussion in 'Arizona' started by 0uTkAsT, Aug 12, 2012.

1. Aug 12, 2012 at 1:06 AM
    0uTkAsT

0uTkAsT [OP] Gun Toting Gearhead

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    '06 5-Speed 4X4 Base
    Avid custom front & rear bumpers, Avid sliders & skid plates, Avid light bar, six 6.5" 100W off road lights, Eibach coils, Bilstein 5100s front & rear, Deaver AAL, MB 72B 16x8.5" wheels, 33" Hankook Dynapro AT-Ms, aFe dry filter, intake baffle & charcoal filter deleted, MagnaPack 18" muffler & exhaust bend delete, bedside & tailgate vinyls, carpeted bed, 25% tint, painted grille, mudflap delete, Supertop camper, black headlights & tail lights, breather mod, smoked 3rd brake light, recovery gear, mounted shovel, axe, extinguisher, Hi-Lift in Quickfist clamps / XRAC, sway bar delete, debadged tailgate, custom gun rack, bullet antenna, Kenwood double DIN nav, Scosche dash, JBL door speakers, aluminum pedals & shift knob
    A friend and I are looking to to a 2-day hike, taking our time and camping over night with minimal supplies (literally a 2L day pack each with some Power Bars, a sleeping bag, and a knife). We're looking for a full loop where we can park the truck over night and circle back around the next day, no more than ~10-13 miles total, preferably at higher elevation to keep temps down. We want something moderately challenging but nothing crazy... not a walk down a dirt road and not a hike on the edge of a cliff. Any suggestions? Links to topo maps? (can you still stop at ranger stations for free maps nowadays?)

Any tips are helpful! Thanks :)

ETA: One final thing I forgot is that we'd like to be relatively secluded despite the short trail we're looking for... We don't want to be tripping over people or camp someplace with a ton of human traffic.

2. Aug 12, 2012 at 8:10 AM
    Moose1988

Moose1988 ____livevil____

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    THE BOOSTED STORMTROOPER
    Check Build >>>>
    I gots nothin man.... :(

Have you tried googling trails/areas yet?

3. Aug 12, 2012 at 10:31 AM
    0uTkAsT

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    '06 5-Speed 4X4 Base
    Avid custom front & rear bumpers, Avid sliders & skid plates, Avid light bar, six 6.5" 100W off road lights, Eibach coils, Bilstein 5100s front & rear, Deaver AAL, MB 72B 16x8.5" wheels, 33" Hankook Dynapro AT-Ms, aFe dry filter, intake baffle & charcoal filter deleted, MagnaPack 18" muffler & exhaust bend delete, bedside & tailgate vinyls, carpeted bed, 25% tint, painted grille, mudflap delete, Supertop camper, black headlights & tail lights, breather mod, smoked 3rd brake light, recovery gear, mounted shovel, axe, extinguisher, Hi-Lift in Quickfist clamps / XRAC, sway bar delete, debadged tailgate, custom gun rack, bullet antenna, Kenwood double DIN nav, Scosche dash, JBL door speakers, aluminum pedals & shift knob
    Yeah and all I find is a bunch of bullshit wanting monthly membership subscriptions, or up to $16 just for a map. I found a good site with helpful reviews of trails but their free maps are garbage and they don't map it for you on Google. It's pretty lame.

4. Aug 12, 2012 at 10:40 AM
    08pretaco

08pretaco Almost there

Member:
    First Name:
    Oliver
    az
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tundra 4x4 CM 5.7L SR5
    AFE pro dry s, Husky X-act Contour
    I drive the rim during the winter times. Its a very nice area! Sorry I dont have much feedback on the hiking around there but the area is nice so I would image the hiking being nice as well!

5. Aug 12, 2012 at 6:48 PM
    Kyouto42

Kyouto42 Iron Beard

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Vehicle:
    BSP '10 4x4 TRD Off-Road DC
    See build thread in signature
    I think I still have my trails.com membership... lemme look here in a few. I know there's a trail up near Pinetop not far from my dad's cabin... but I haven't checked it out myself yet. I do plan to do a lot of exploring up there now that I have a place to crash at :p

6. Aug 12, 2012 at 7:47 PM
    G scott04

G scott04 ...

Member:
    First Name:
    Garrett
    Mesa
    Vehicle:
    04 PreRunner
    Yeah I have dirt biked most of the area, I would say just explore the area and find the terrain your looking for, there are really cool hiking trails out underneath the powerlines out there, but there are trails that go bottom to top and then some stay around the same elevation.

And i would take a ton of water. And the fire restrictions are lifted I think cause of all the rain, but when I was there earlier this summer fires weren't allowed

7. Aug 12, 2012 at 11:32 PM
    0uTkAsT

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    '06 5-Speed 4X4 Base
    Yeah I've heard the fire restrictions have been lifted. I think we picked a trail, Cabin Loop, its on the Rim and 18 miles total.

8. Aug 13, 2012 at 12:31 AM
    G scott04

G scott04 ...

Member:
    First Name:
    Garrett
    Mesa
    Vehicle:
    04 PreRunner
    you won't catch me walking 18 miles!

9. Aug 13, 2012 at 12:46 AM
    0uTkAsT

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    '06 5-Speed 4X4 Base
    We're not sure if that's the trail we're going to hit, but we're heading for that area and it came highly recommended by three guys on two different gun forums so it must be good. Seems to fit the bill for difficulty and seclusion. NOAA has a 30% chance of rain for Saturday night so we're bringing ponchos and tarps but this might be a miserable weekend or it could be a ton of fun. As long as we avoid biting bugs, poisonous snakes, flash floods, and don't get struck by lightning, we'll be good.

10. Aug 13, 2012 at 2:27 AM
    Greensystemsgo

Greensystemsgo Self Proclaimed first gen expert :doh:

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Avondale, AZ
    Vehicle:
    1999 TRD/SR5 4x4
    5100/5125's All pro expedition leafs Eibach coils Light racing uca's 2004 gauge cluster All stainless brake lines 1" diff drop kenwood with polks rebuild seat support webbing satoshi grill optima red top
    I regularly camp up on a loop, right on the rim. Very secluded. 3 camps max along the way.

11. Aug 13, 2012 at 3:46 PM
    Seabass

Seabass I need to go return some videotapes...

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    '06 Sport 4x4
    <insert thief bait here>
  12. Aug 13, 2012 at 5:03 PM
    0uTkAsT

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    '06 5-Speed 4X4 Base
  13. Aug 13, 2012 at 5:07 PM
    Seabass

Seabass I need to go return some videotapes...

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    '06 Sport 4x4
    <insert thief bait here>
    There are some decent trails listed all over the Rim area on that site. They even rate the solitude of the trail, whether it's dog-friendly, etc. The instructions seem pretty clear, but who knows how old the information is on some of them. Most of the trail reviews at least give the last-known date.

To Top