1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Anyone here refuse to watch non Blue Ray movies?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by raskal311, Nov 2, 2009.

1. Nov 3, 2009 at 5:25 PM
    nd

nd Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off-Road 4x4 debadged
    De badged, 5100's, Black Toyota Baja wheels
    i'm well aware that walle wasn't filmed. my point was taht the source material is more important than the actual disc. and i stand by the statement that you cant tell the difference between dvd and blu ray if they are both from a hi def source

2. Nov 3, 2009 at 5:41 PM
    SubZombie

SubZombie Well-Known Member

Member:
    South East
    Vehicle:
    2019 Voodoo TRD Pro

And that makes no sense.

99.999% of movies are from a "high def" source. The only major movie I can think of that was ever filmed on anything less was the first 28 days later.

Film is higher than high def.

3. Nov 3, 2009 at 5:45 PM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    Regarding the OP:

Yes, I'm spoiled. I still watch friends DVDs etc, but I'm only *buying* blu-ray at this point. If you have your home theater set up correctly, there is a WORLD of difference between hi-def and standard-def, and it's very hard to go back.

4. Nov 3, 2009 at 6:14 PM
    nd

nd Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off-Road 4x4 debadged
    De badged, 5100's, Black Toyota Baja wheels
    god damn dude, how hard are you gonna make this? you know what i'm talking about. i'm not sure what the actual difference in filming methods is, but older movies do not have teh same resolution as newer movies, made specifically for high def play back. whether its different film or cameras or what. nit picking everything i'm saying is just annoying. the crispness of the image is only going to be as good as the source material and the resolution of your screen. you take two identical tv's, with identical settings and hook up a PS3 to each and play a regular dvd and a blue ray, there is not going to be a noticable difference IF the movie was filmed or animated for high definition viewing

5. Nov 3, 2009 at 8:53 PM
    SubZombie

Member:
    South East
    Vehicle:
    2019 Voodoo TRD Pro
    Film doesn't even have a resolution. 35mm film is 35mm film. Was the same 20 years ago as it is now. Cameras and equipment have improved, making the image look better, but the medium is the same. There are no pixels.

You also dismiss the whole fact that fixed pixel displays suffer a substancial loss of image quality when displaying non-native resolutions, which is another plus as to why Blu-ray looks better on a 1080p television.

What don't you understand about a frame with a resolution of 640x480 not looking as good as a frame with a resolution of 1920x1080?

It's like saying a videogame looks just as good in standard def as in high def, it's simply untrue.

Basically, none of what you're saying is accurate. That is all I am going to say on this.

Edit -

Here you go buddy:

http://www.pixartalk.com/tag/blu-ray-vs-dvd/

click the images

6. Nov 3, 2009 at 9:08 PM
    btacoma

btacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Roger
    texas
    Vehicle:
    ‘22 trd offroad
    Pro grille Raptor lights Interior mods
    ever since i bought a ps3 ive only bought blu rays, shit i had a 720p tv and had to up grade to a 1080p to watch them on. as much as i love it, just so damn expensive now i have over 70 blu rays. :facepalm:

7. Nov 3, 2009 at 9:20 PM
    NMG

NMG Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ottawa
    Vehicle:
    09 Double Cab TRD Sport
    I have a REALLY hard time watching non HD material on my satellite and non Blu-ray movies. Then again, I'm also one of those guys that can discern a noticeable difference between regular cable and 720p/1080i HDTV broadcasts and those same HD broadcasts and a 1080p Blu-ray signal.

I work with folks who say that they can't notice a difference between regular cable and HD and I simply can't fathom how it's even possible. It's really no big deal to me, since it really only matters if they are happy at the end of the day. That said, I think the difference is comparable to driving a Tacoma or a Dakota . . . LOL :D

8. Nov 4, 2009 at 4:14 AM
    Canadian Max

Canadian Max Yamaha

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    In the Garage
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD 4X4
    2010 TRD Sport 4 door Speedway Blue 4" Nerf Bars Vent visors Weathertechs Mats Hella 500 HID Mod Bull Bar Devil Horns Eclipse AVN 726E Energy Speakers
    Same here, after I bought the PS3 I'm trying to update my concert collection. I have around 15-20 so far not much out there yet. I'm not a movie collector but the music concerts..Wow, check out the Police on Blu ray it's amazing :headbang:

9. Nov 4, 2009 at 4:56 AM
    TBAGRR

TBAGRR Well-Known Member

Member:
    Md
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 sport
    Trd intake Doug Thorley long tubes URD short shifter Eibach front springs Tsb rear leafs
    im spoiled i wont buy standard deff movies, and i dont even like watching them on cable. I think it also depends on your tv, my tv with my ps3 is awesome anyone can tell the diff plus it has better sound also!!!!!

10. Nov 4, 2009 at 5:02 AM
    OU812

OU812 ban the term murdered out

Member:
    First Name:
    danusa
    Kilroy was here
    Vehicle:
    13 DblCab LB 4X4
    Nothing yet, brand new!
    I'm still holding out until it's a defacto standard. But that will be awhile. I don't watch enough movies on disc to justify buying new equipment. Aside from that I think blu ray will bomb after a few years anyway. The new media is taking over too quickly on the internet. With Hulu and others joining in you can stream and watch anywhere you want so why buy more black boxes to clutter up my already cluttered media cabinet.

11. Nov 4, 2009 at 9:42 AM
    Agent475

Agent475 "Mark It Zero"

Member:
    Waldorf, MD
    Vehicle:
    2006 Red TRD Sport
    Hood Struts, 3" Tuff Country Lift, Shortie Antenna, WeatherTechs, Tinted front windows, custom TRD seat covers, custom pedals, debadged, custom USMC badging, quasi-functional hoodscoop (i.e. I cut it open), black front Yota emblem, Tailgate Theft-Prevention mod, Horn Relocation mod, Old Man Emu Carrier Bearing Drop, Brighter Backup Lights Mod, Smittybilt Reciever Hitch Tow Point, currently working on Satoshi Grill Mod
    Hey, anything that I play on my 65" Mitsubishi Diamond Series HDTV is good by me. My DVDs look great on it... I don't think I'll switch to BluRay. Besides, having lived through the Beta/VHS war... then the VHS ---> DVD switch... Why replace all your movies with the new format when something else new will come out one day? Waste of money to me.

[​IMG]

12. Nov 4, 2009 at 9:49 AM
    Teufel Hunden

Teufel Hunden No Better Friend, No Worse Enemy

Member:
    Northern Virginia
    Vehicle:
    09 MGray DC SB TRD-OR 4x4 V6 Auto SR5
    Undercover tonneau, OEM tow package with hitch, OEM retractable roof rack, Front window tint (legal), WeatherTech FloorLiners, Door sill protectors, Tacoma bed mat, Rear leaf spring TSB, OEM DRL mod, Door edge guards, AFE Pro-Dry S Air Filter, Removed secondary air filter, Smoked LED 3rd brake light, Romik running boards, Go Rhino hitch step, Extra set of D-rings mod, Bed cargo net, TRD wheel locks, OBX sport pedal covers.
    I agree completely that blu-ray is much better than dvd. Some people may think that there is no difference because of the size of their TV. The size of your HDTV will generally dictate how much of a difference you will notice between a dvd and blu-ray movie (and I am only applying this opinion to 1080P HDTV's only). Generally, on screens smaller that 42" it will be hard to tell much of a difference between a dvd that is upscaled to 1080P on a quality player, and a blu-ray disc. However, from 42" and larger, the difference will be very noticeable. Basically, in smaller HDTV's you are fitting 1920x1080 pixels in a smaller area, like 38". So, the pixels are smaller and crammed into a smaller surface area. Depending on how far away you are from the TV, although there is a difference, your eyes may not notice much of the difference at all. But, when you fit the same 1920x1080 pixels on a 52" HDTV, then those same amount of pixels are on a much larger surface area and are therefore larger. Which means your eyes will be able to see more detail. The imperfections of an upscaled dvd, and 1080i for that matter, will stand out immediately. Only blu-ray can do true justice on screens that large. Size does matter! :D

13. Nov 4, 2009 at 9:52 AM
    raskal311

raskal311 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    S. Cal
    5100 set to max, pending LSD and TRD CAI
    There will always be new stuff but each seems to dominate for about 10 years. I've been watching BR bor 1.5 years and as long as it still around for another 2 It was worth buying a PS3.

14. Nov 4, 2009 at 9:53 AM
    Teufel Hunden

Teufel Hunden No Better Friend, No Worse Enemy

Member:
    Northern Virginia
    Vehicle:
    09 MGray DC SB TRD-OR 4x4 V6 Auto SR5
    Undercover tonneau, OEM tow package with hitch, OEM retractable roof rack, Front window tint (legal), WeatherTech FloorLiners, Door sill protectors, Tacoma bed mat, Rear leaf spring TSB, OEM DRL mod, Door edge guards, AFE Pro-Dry S Air Filter, Removed secondary air filter, Smoked LED 3rd brake light, Romik running boards, Go Rhino hitch step, Extra set of D-rings mod, Bed cargo net, TRD wheel locks, OBX sport pedal covers.
    You do have a point. Although you can get a blu-ray player and continue to watch dvd's on it. You can just buy movies on blu-ray from this point on so that you don't have to replace your collection. And when another format comes out, hopefully those players will still be able to run the blu-ray discs and dvd's. Nice size HDTV by the way!

15. Nov 4, 2009 at 9:59 AM
    Agent475

Agent475 "Mark It Zero"

Member:
    Waldorf, MD
    Vehicle:
    2006 Red TRD Sport
    Hood Struts, 3" Tuff Country Lift, Shortie Antenna, WeatherTechs, Tinted front windows, custom TRD seat covers, custom pedals, debadged, custom USMC badging, quasi-functional hoodscoop (i.e. I cut it open), black front Yota emblem, Tailgate Theft-Prevention mod, Horn Relocation mod, Old Man Emu Carrier Bearing Drop, Brighter Backup Lights Mod, Smittybilt Reciever Hitch Tow Point, currently working on Satoshi Grill Mod
    Thanks... it was a gift from my boss (my wife) believe it or not.

I get what you are saying... but I think I'll wait till the dust settles and go from there.

It's like new games that come out... Take Modern Combat 2 for instance.... A lot of people have pre-ordered. For me, I'll wait a week or two... let other's spend their loot. I'll read the reviews and if it's good - I'll buy it. If not, I just saved 60 bucks.

16. Nov 4, 2009 at 9:32 PM
    SubZombie

Member:
    South East
    Vehicle:
    2019 Voodoo TRD Pro

It's good :p

The IGN score got leaked today and showed they gave it a 9.5.

Even if the single player was average the multi would be great just because of the pedigree.

Bunch of people got early copies too and have been raving about it.

17. Nov 5, 2009 at 4:20 AM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat

I've found the entire Call of Duty series to be a scripted bore-fest in single player, and I have no use for the multi-player. I've never gone beyond the demos.

Apparently, that's just me.

18. Feb 22, 2010 at 4:37 PM
    YotaDan

YotaDan Dan

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Oregon
    Don't have a Blue Ray player. I think its kinda a gimmick. For most movies I am still happy just watching the old VHS versions. At least they don't get scratched and freeze up. :)

19. Feb 22, 2010 at 4:48 PM
    newfie8

newfie8 Well-Known Member

Member:
    newfoundland
    Vehicle:
    09 tacoma
    Tinted windows all around. Fog lights. Intermittent wiper switch. Skid plate. Extra D rings. Grillcraft. Color matched grill. Hella 500ff HID behind grillcraft. Rcbs204 Lighting. 5100's up front. 265/75/16 Duratracs.Firestone riderites. Bora Wheel spacers. Tinted tails. De badged. Blacked out rims.
    Bought a 46" there last week and I got a ps3 so I ordered my first blu ray last week on ebay Planet earth series. They tell me it's pretty crazy I can't wait!

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.

Products Discussed in

To Top