1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Anyone in the engineering field?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by 04LTtacoma, Dec 29, 2010.

1. Jan 18, 2011 at 4:12 PM
    SmilingMark

SmilingMark Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Ogden, UT
    Vehicle:
    2010 Access Cab
    Color matched grill w/ grillcraft. BHLM and Morimoto Mini HID's Debadged.
    Great thread! Lot's of great info! (even from you Civil guys! j/k)

2. Jan 18, 2011 at 4:14 PM
    topgun155

topgun155 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    Richmond, TX
    Vehicle:
    2018 F-150 5.0
    RIP to my 08 Prerunner DC
    x2 with the no time thing.
    1st year mechanical engineering at Texas A&M.

3. Jan 18, 2011 at 6:33 PM
    SACTOWN

SACTOWN ???????????????????????

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Vehicle:
    '18 ZR2, 04 Rubicon, &19 lx570
    Good luck and good field to get into!! I know a bunch of EEs they make $$$$$$$$$$!!

Most of them are consultants and deal with the power grid. They work with all the major power companies across the US.

4. Jan 18, 2011 at 6:35 PM
    Derpy Derek

Derpy Derek Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Brookings, OR
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport 4x4 DCSB
    ARB Bumper, Smittybilt X20, King suspension
    You can never have too many engineers in the world.. I'm going to be mechanical. Just starting to learn about CAD programs; holy shit.

5. Jan 18, 2011 at 6:39 PM
    steve o 77

steve o 77 braaap

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    In a corn field, OH
    Vehicle:
    1990 Chevy Siveraydo
    245k+ miles, rust, working AC, bald eagles
    they don't let you graduate here at NMT if you don't first pass the FE exam :thumbsup:

6. Jan 18, 2011 at 6:39 PM
    maestroz2

maestroz2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Erie, PA
    Vehicle:
    2010 DoubleCab Pyrite Mica TRD Sport SB
    TRD Skid Plate, Toyota Bed Mat, WeatherTech window visors, WeatherTech Floor mats, Access LE Bed Cover, Rocky Mounts Bike mounts, Astrostart 2-way Remote Start, TRD bronze beadlock wheels, Factory roof rack.
    I finished a masters degree in EE in 2009 from RIT. It was definitely worth the pain of going through the schooling.

As far as whether to go EE vs. ME i would just weight your personal interests into it. If you like working on engines, suspensions, welding etc I would go with ME since it will come more naturally to you. If you like wiring things up and toying around with electronics EE is def the way to go.

I am currently working on diesel engine control electronics for freight locomotives so i get the best of both worlds.

In the end you will be in an ever evolving job and not one that you do the same thing day to day.

Good Luck!

7. Jan 18, 2011 at 6:58 PM
    EEtaco

EEtaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    09 V6 Prerunner
    I'm currently in my second year as a EE/CPE and started college right after high school, but I wish I had went to a local CC first. A lot of my peers got many of their electives and core courses done with at a CC, which I'd highly recommend as it's cheaper and can sometimes be a better experience. Someone else said to take the intro courses which can be extremely helpful, but don't rely on a single course to determine if you like the major. For instance I didn't realize I really liked what I was doing until I was about 3 courses into my departmental courses.

Good luck and remember the "hardest" engineering is the one you're not taking. (If that makes sense)

8. Jan 18, 2011 at 7:02 PM
    steve o 77

steve o 77 braaap

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    In a corn field, OH
    Vehicle:
    1990 Chevy Siveraydo
    245k+ miles, rust, working AC, bald eagles
    The CC idea is good but I would try and get a full ride with scholarships first, it that fails then yeah, do the CC thing.

9. Jan 18, 2011 at 7:24 PM
    DyerMaker

DyerMaker New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    J Dawg
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    09 DCLB Speedway Blue
    Ha. I've gotta get in here and throw some respect towards the Civils! I've been working as a civil engineer for 7 years and have my PE license. I enjoy it and can't imagine doing anything else.

In short, YES! Go to school and get your engineering degree. Either Mechanical or Electrical, whichever fuels your passion. And just as you say, it can be difficult to pay the bills without a degree especially with a family. You will be more comfortable and make more money through your career/life.

I went to community college and transferred to an accredited school for my bachelors degree. Smartest decision of my life. My brother, who is younger, decided to go against my suggestion and went directly to a 4 year university. Shortly after he went back to community college to get his prerequisites. Community college is much cheaper and gives you a stepping stone into the 4 year university. Just talk to advisors and make sure that your classes/credits can transfer.

It's good you're asking and smart you're thinking about it as young as you are. The sooner the better. Good luck.

10. Jan 18, 2011 at 9:12 PM
    aficianado

aficianado Well-Known Member

Member:
    bay area, california
    Vehicle:
    2006 access cab. 4x4, TRD-OR + 2023 TRD off-road.
    back to bone stock.
    another civil here. i've been at it for 12 years. i went back to school after i was a bit older than the average student. i was more focused and absolutely kicked ass. i now work for the state of california working on billion dollar projects. i see and do some of the coolest things ever. ever think you will get to push a button to set off a load of explosives? i worked a mere two years, and passed my PE. it was and is my biggest accomplishment.

my job isnt boring. i love it.

11. Jan 18, 2011 at 9:31 PM
    01tacoprerunner

01tacoprerunner 01 4WD Prerunner

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Raleigh, NC
    Vehicle:
    01 4WD Prerunner
    Im studing civil engineering technology, and so far i am loving it except the physics classes, and statics. But other than that i am really enjoying it. I really wish i had gone to CC first, just for the cheapness and easier transition into a 4 year college. I kicked butt my first semester of school, but i could have done the same at a CC. Its a good way to go. I am a sophmore now, and getting into some harder classes, like statics. But i hope to join the Navy when I graduate, and be an Officer in the Seabees.

Good luck with school, and good choice.

12. Jan 18, 2011 at 9:39 PM
    Leggo

Leggo slow is smooth, and smooth is fast.

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Newton,Ma.
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD Sport AC 4x4 MGM
    Kenwood HU,Infinity Kappa speakers (x4), Infinity reference tweeters(x2),10" Kicker sub, Box by Subthump, Infinty Five channel amp,DVD anytime bypass, DTRL Mod, Xtang trifecta, Fogs anytime Mod, Bed Mat,Westin running boards, Console vault, Maglite mod, Weathertechs,Autopage remote starter, Power tailgate lock, HID Bi Zenon, Hella Supertones,Rain guards,Rear leaf TSB,Steering shaft TSB, Fisher Homesteader plow, 886 reverse lights mod, Redline Hood struts, Hankook Dynapro ATM LT265/70R17, power sliding rear window, Auto dimming/on anytime Bed lights, Blue Sea fuse panel & 100amp Breaker, de- badged,Rear headrest's removed, imMrYo mirror relocation,Homeroshi grill
    Petroleum engineer, never have trouble finding work again

13. Jan 18, 2011 at 9:39 PM
    Leggo

Leggo slow is smooth, and smooth is fast.

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Newton,Ma.
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD Sport AC 4x4 MGM
    Kenwood HU,Infinity Kappa speakers (x4), Infinity reference tweeters(x2),10" Kicker sub, Box by Subthump, Infinty Five channel amp,DVD anytime bypass, DTRL Mod, Xtang trifecta, Fogs anytime Mod, Bed Mat,Westin running boards, Console vault, Maglite mod, Weathertechs,Autopage remote starter, Power tailgate lock, HID Bi Zenon, Hella Supertones,Rain guards,Rear leaf TSB,Steering shaft TSB, Fisher Homesteader plow, 886 reverse lights mod, Redline Hood struts, Hankook Dynapro ATM LT265/70R17, power sliding rear window, Auto dimming/on anytime Bed lights, Blue Sea fuse panel & 100amp Breaker, de- badged,Rear headrest's removed, imMrYo mirror relocation,Homeroshi grill
    And not a gas pumper either!

14. Jan 18, 2011 at 9:50 PM
    S.B.

S.B. Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    15 Taco
    LT, Glass, CBI Front bumper, NWTI Rear bumper, 35s
    Not in the field but studying so I can be in it in a few years down the road. Currently a fresh in college majoring in Mechanical Engineering. I like it so far.

15. Jan 18, 2011 at 9:53 PM
    aficianado

aficianado Well-Known Member

Member:
    bay area, california
    Vehicle:
    2006 access cab. 4x4, TRD-OR + 2023 TRD off-road.
    back to bone stock.
    once it "clicks" with statics..it is EASY! stay with it kid.

the next class, dynamics..fuk..really really focus. it is like statics, but moving. sheesh.

16. Jan 18, 2011 at 10:06 PM
    bfaisok

bfaisok Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma
    ToyTec ultimate lift, ProComp 7032, GY Wrangler Silent Armor 265/75/16, ARE MX cap with windoors/sliding windows and roof rack, Aluminess front bumper, AFE air cleaner, scored a intermitent wiper switch from salvage
    Any engineering degree will take you far. Electrical and mechanical are the most versital. Alot of the the people that work on wall street are EE, math or stat majors that went on to grad school and got a Financial Eng. Masters. I know that my company will not even consider non engineered degreed folks.

17. Jan 19, 2011 at 6:20 AM
    Trachito

Trachito Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Orleans
    not true. when oil prices go down companies tend to lay off, or when there's an oil shortage. in the 80's lots of older PE's were laid off and never found work in the field again. plus, you're confined to oil/gas areas. i'm a ME by degree but work as a PE. PE's definitely get paid the most of all engineers... unless you work for the gov't like myself

+1 most companies want degreed engineers for real engineering gigs. otherwise you're a technician... or just have a fake title like "Ladder Engineer" at Home Depot; they're the guys who push the ladders and go up them to get something down for the customer, seriously.

18. Jan 19, 2011 at 6:36 AM
    TheTacoTruck

TheTacoTruck Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Central PA
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD 6-Spd
    I graduated from Penn State a year ago and have been working in Civil Engineering for a year now. I have to say that it has been good so far. Like many people have said already any engineering degree will take you far. Work for your E.I.T. and PE and that will take you even further. I personally went straight into Penn State rather than a junior college and I did fine, but I've heard alot of good things about people that went to a junior college first.

In terms of salaries, I think you'll find that you can be pretty comfortable with an engineer's salary, especially in the private sector. Good luck!

Also, a plug for civil is that there is usually alot of work out there with all the infrastructure that needs repaired and worked on. I got a job right out of school and many of my friends not in engineering are still looking a year later...

19. Jan 20, 2011 at 5:51 PM
    04LTtacoma

04LTtacoma [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oregon
    Well, thanks everyone for the advice. I have been leaning more towards the electrical engineering rather than the mechanical since I have been working in the electrical field for a few years. In my electrical classes I have been learning a little bit about theory and physics. I only got a little taste of it and it's not too bad to understand...

20. Jan 20, 2011 at 5:52 PM
    04LTtacoma

04LTtacoma [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oregon

I don't have a problem studying. I will sacrifice my play time to study if that is what it takes.

Products Discussed in

To Top