1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Anyone in the engineering field?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by 04LTtacoma, Dec 29, 2010.

1. Jan 20, 2011 at 6:50 PM
    toast

toast Well-Known Member

Member:
    Your friends need to move. My brother is an ME (BS only) and has had plenty of jobs/opportunity in FL and now SC. Mobile devices, Turbine design, missile design, and mow turbine work again.

He makes decent money too. I make more working in IT but that's another story lol.

OP: Go to pharm school. Double the salary and only 2 years more school. Not like you're gonna be hurtin for work anytime soon either.

2. Jan 20, 2011 at 7:11 PM
    HEAVY WT

HEAVY WT Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    LA
    Vehicle:
    16 T4R TEP
    It sounds like you need an AE degree. This is what I have, Architectural Engineering with and emphasis in Building Electrical Systems. AE degrees are newer but pretty cool. I went to Milwaukee School of Engineering (you can probably go to their website to learn more about that degree). You basically learn all about how buildings are designed and constructed via classes in Construction Management, Plumbing, Mechanical, Structural, Civil, Architecture, Building Materials and then hit building related power, lighting and systems pretty hard.

Sounds like this would be more for you since your on your way to be an electrician. I was basically taught how to design electrical systems for buildings, not little things like phones. Our company prefers to hire AEs since we can hit the ground running talking with contractors and understanding how buildings go together. I design the electrical systems for buildings and attractions in theme parks so been a pretty cool job.

You can still get your PE with and AE degree which in combination with being an electrical is very helpful. One good thing is AE degrees are easier than ME or EE! I know my ME and EE friends had it rough in school and I give them props!

Let me know if you have any question on AE, but if you can find a school in your area with this program I would say check it out.

3. Jan 21, 2011 at 10:02 PM
    04LTtacoma

04LTtacoma [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oregon

I was considering IT work. I got a little taste of that as well going through trade school... It was not something I could see myself doing though..

4. Jan 21, 2011 at 10:08 PM
    Bubbarr

Bubbarr Monkey Sweat

Member:
    First Name:
    Duane
    SD
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off-Road 4X4
    DynoLock Auto tailgate lock, 16" Konig Counter steer Off roads, 265/75/16 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, 2.5 King front and rear with remote reservoir, Built Right UCA, Deaver 3 pack, SD Truck Shop Custom Sliders.
    I am in the Engineering field. Work for a company called Northrop Grumman. I got lucky and used my Marine Corps computer background to get in the door but got my degree while working full time. I am now a full fledged engineer. I say do what it takes to get that degree. It unlocks so many doors.

5. Jan 21, 2011 at 10:16 PM
    tomwadden

tomwadden Well-Known Member

Member:
    Long Beach/Big Bear
    Vehicle:
    2015 4x4 TRD DCSB 6spd
    Im in my first year at Cal State Long Beach for Mechanical Engineer, and all I have to say is I love it. Although the math and physics kill you, every time you finish a test or get through a project it gets exciting that you are going to one day be doing all this design work on a real project. Im only 18 and can't wait for the day Im assigned a project that allows me to design something using my own mind and skills, and hopefully pays me well enough to have the trucks, cars and house's that I want, all without stressing for money.

6. Jan 22, 2011 at 2:29 PM
    04LTtacoma

Member:
    Oregon

That does make sense, but I almost feel like I have a better handle on the ME than EE, but I am currently in school to be a low volt electrician... So I think it would make more sense to go get my EE than my ME. lol

7. May 27, 2011 at 11:53 AM
    04LTtacoma

Member:
    Oregon
    The people who have finished school to be an engineer what do you do for work?

8. May 27, 2011 at 10:10 PM
    LGE RAW

LGE RAW Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Dothan
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD Off Road DCSB 6AT Magnetic Gray Metallic
    New Mods in the works.
    I was an advanced electronics tech in the Navy. I got out and went to work as a Millwright. Worked my way through JC as a lab assistant during school hours between classes and 2nd shift as a mechanic for Westinghouse. I also started my own business working on personal computers for small businesses. When I finished JC I transferred to a 4 year college and worked in the research labs. I also worked as an undergrad teaching assistant in the circuits lab as my Navy background put me way ahead of these labs. I also continued to work for Westinghouse on weekends when I could. That was a real GPA killer! Eats away at study time. I took a year off to build up funds and get over some burnout from all the consecutive quarters in school. Worked as a Millwright on a small Combined Cycle Turbine install for the power company. When back to finish my last year married, focused, and ready to finish! I spent all day in classes and studying, took a break to excercise and eat supper, and went back for 3 to 4 more hours of studying. It truly does pay off! I got several great job offers and ended up with the power company at a nuclear plant with a level increase for industry experience. A year and a half later I was asked to go to license class to become a Sr. Reactor Operator. Now, understand there are degrees of difficulty! 18 months of continuous classes later I took 3 power plant high fidelity simulator exams, 10 or so performance exams on topics from administrative tasks to in plant activity performance, and a 100 question written exam that spanned an 8 hour day, all day! The passing grade is 80. Also, It's closed reference. Now i get to go to continueing training about every 5 to 7 weeks! The content of engineering classes were much more difficult, but the pace of license class for operating a reactor is flipping rediculous, which made it much harder than my EE degree.

There are several good bonuses for taking the exams and passing the first take (still an 80), Pro Pay, and lots of overtime. So my pay doubled.

The point being, if you are willing to work, there are great paying jobs out there you will enjoy. If you have some experience, that will open even more doors.
    Be ready to work for it, and be sure you chose a field you like.

9. Dec 27, 2011 at 9:58 AM
    04LTtacoma

Member:
    Oregon

Really? Why?

I have a buddy who is a ME. He told me the FE test was pretty easy as long as you take it right after you graduate. He's also got his PE license. He told me that was a difficult test to take, took him about eight hours to do.

EDIT:BTW I am going to school right now for ME.

10. Jan 21, 2012 at 8:40 PM
    04LTtacoma

Member:
    Oregon
    bump

Thinking about making an engineering thread. What do you think?

11. Nov 10, 2013 at 2:07 PM
    PhdNPrerunners

PhdNPrerunners Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    The Woodlands, TX
    Vehicle:
    1999 4Runner SR5 4WD
    Bumping this thread because I am really considering changing my major to electrical engineering. Wanted to get updates on the engineering field currently

12. Nov 10, 2013 at 5:00 PM
    azreb

azreb Geezer

Member:
    TN
    Vehicle:
    '20 SR5 crew cab; gray
    camper shell, front camera, floor mats, cheap bed mat, dash camera, catalytic converter cover, fumoto
    Just saw this thread. I retired from electrical engineering a few years ago. I really enjoy designing and building things and was able to spend my career doing that. The problem is that the technology changed so rapidly that the only way to keep up was to sacrifice home life and leisure activities. Most of my peers were forced into management or into other less technical jobs after 10 to 12 years. If you are one who works to live vs lives to work, I would recommend learning management and business skills.

13. Nov 11, 2013 at 7:49 AM
    PhdNPrerunners

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    The Woodlands, TX
    Vehicle:
    1999 4Runner SR5 4WD
    Just curious how come you didn't want to go into management?

14. Nov 12, 2013 at 7:14 PM
    azreb

azreb Geezer

Member:
    TN
    Vehicle:
    '20 SR5 crew cab; gray
    camper shell, front camera, floor mats, cheap bed mat, dash camera, catalytic converter cover, fumoto
    Management doesn't fit my personality. I am probably the penultimate nerd engineer type--I work best in a design and laboratory environment with minimal confrontational interaction with others, which managers have to deal with on a regular basis. Designing circuits and making them work is much more rewarding to me than motivating others, worrying about budgets and playing political games.

15. Nov 13, 2013 at 10:36 AM
    PhdNPrerunners

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    The Woodlands, TX
    Vehicle:
    1999 4Runner SR5 4WD
    Oh ok I see what you are saying. I think once I get some years of experience under my belt I would like to be an engineering manager. Now the only think left to decide is Mechanical or Electrical lol

Products Discussed in

To Top