1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Anyone install an overhead compass/temp console in 2nd gen 4 cyl

Discussion in '4 Cylinder' started by Tunngavik, Nov 6, 2011.

1. Dec 5, 2011 at 8:27 AM
    jassco

jassco Well-Known Member

Member:
    NH
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD Offroad
    Sounds good, although we still get to see if the different A/C circuits provide the same temp info. Although running a separate sensor if required was never really a major issue if everything else works. It seems everything is internal in those mirrors for the most part.

2. Dec 5, 2011 at 8:36 AM
    jassco

jassco Well-Known Member

Member:
    NH
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD Offroad
    Most all 09+ trucks including mine (4cyl) have a temp sensor mounted up front. The difference is that they are routed through a A/C circuit system that is different for 4 cyl and 6. The V6 part outputs to the overhead consoles. The 4 cyl one does not. I agree I expected dashes too because of this.

I had all the wiring except the known A/C circuit part that is different. I straight swapped as many people have asked for confirmation. The dashes indicate that it has power and that is it. I did mention earlier that I have not seen someone take that same 09+ console I swapped an ran the second sensor to it. My thought again is that because the newer 09+ console uses a single pin to read temp from the new A/C relay that connecting a second sensor to it with 2 wires may not work. I wish I had the time to do this but the person needed their truck back.

3. Feb 21, 2012 at 10:55 AM
    alexander323bc

alexander323bc Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Buffalo New York
    Vehicle:
    4cyl access cab
    So for those of us with the 4 cylinder. Is the harness in place for the auto dimming mirror and compass? I can do without the temp for now.

4. Feb 21, 2012 at 1:21 PM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

T@co_Pr3runn3r XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    I was wondering this too since the homelink/compass/auto dimming mirror would be nice. I have reg cab and those don't come with overhead console. I have the overhead console for garage door opener/sun glasses that I bought but no mounts for it in the ceiling and most likely no wiring for the map lights. Would have to make mounts and jb weld or quicksteel them to the roof and cut hole in headliner. Haven't done that yet. Kinda doubting the wiring would be there for the mirror either but running a coupla wires for that would be easier and get me by for garage door opening without getting it out of the center console between the buckets.

5. Feb 21, 2012 at 5:37 PM
    jpaw30

jpaw30 Well-Known Member

Member:

I"ll be waiting for your write up if you try to put in the overhead console. Ive been waiting for someone to try it and look to see if the wiring was back there before I bought a console and destroyed the headliner

6. Feb 22, 2012 at 4:18 AM
    alexander323bc

alexander323bc Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Buffalo New York
    Vehicle:
    4cyl access cab
    Apparenty the harness should be located on the edge the headliner. If you slide your fingers underneath the headliner it will be there if you have it. Just have not looked yet. I just got to work and I forgot to do it last night.

7. Feb 22, 2012 at 4:54 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    I may hit a junkyard for a reg cab headliner to cut instead of cutting the only one I have. Then if it turns out good, I will cut the 2nd one the same way and sell it to someone who wants to do the same thing. A write-up will occur when this project commences. Shouldn't be too bad to make a couple of L brackets and glue them to the ceiling with JB Weld or quicksteel. The back of the console hangs on the headliner. May be 1 other screw that'll need a mount too IIRC. Not worried about wiring.

8. Feb 22, 2012 at 5:17 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    The ovh console requires a hole and mounting brackets. I was interested in the homelink mirror to get around the cutting and be able to operate the garage door without leaving the opener out in plain site on the visor or in the truck at all with the mirror. RCs don't has brackets or ovh consoles from factory. I have the base model opener/glasses/map light ovh console from another truck.

Products Discussed in

To Top