1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Anyone into R/C?

Discussion in 'Sports, Hobbies & Interests' started by A.D., Feb 7, 2009.

1. Nov 16, 2013 at 6:58 PM
    yotaman90

yotaman90 bröther may I have some lööps

Member:
    Taos, NM
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Offroad
    I like it a lot. Mine has had a lot of things changed on it though

IMAG0073_zps75e83e1e_d9691b1d98f05e8ab0bbbd56a13b34488a15ee37.jpg

IMAG0075_zpsf07f1166_31cba65de3ec0f5a5e49d65fbb0b6c31146ed0a2.jpg

IMAG0074_zps4bcdadd6_20acc98430437ad5aa401510bc1ee89747befc59.jpg

IMAG0078_zps2e2913c3_e303af80b3f312b8e0378c4228208df4ab78d63f.jpg

I would choose the Revo over the Summit, even though my Revo has some Summit parts on it. There are a few differences between them other than the bodies; the Revo has stronger driveshafts even though the Summit ones are CVDs, the Summit has a slightly longer wheelbase due to the rear a-arms being swept back more, and the Summit has long-travel rockers versus the Revo's progressive rockers. I've tried the Summit rockers on my Revo and IMO they made the suspension too soft, and that was using the stiffest springs available. My Revo still has a good amount of flex with the progressive rockers and black stripe front/pink stripe rear springs and 80wt shock oil, but it handles much better on the road when I have my street tires on it.

2. Nov 16, 2013 at 7:11 PM
    littledvl

littledvl ride BMX!

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Saint Leonard MD
    Vehicle:
    08 taco dc 4x4 / 15 tundra dc 4x4
    Too many to list
    I have the 1 but I can easily waterproof it, its also a 2200kv. I may stick it in there soon

3. Nov 17, 2013 at 11:25 PM
    mjbtaco

mjbtaco low and slow

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Montclair , so cal
    Vehicle:
    Turbo'd 95.5 extra cab and 2013 Silver DCSB TRD Sport
    PERFORMANCE Custom Turbo Setup FRONT SUSPENSION Drop Spindles by Aaron Carswell 01-04 Swaybar Endlinks Energy Suspension Endlink Bushings Cando Upper Control arms QA1 coilovers with 8" spring Custom 4 pot Brembo BBK Modified lower control arms with mjbfab qa1 mounting plates and Poly bushing sleeves REAR SUSPENSION Chasis Tech drop leafs QA1 adjustable shocks weld in drop notch Gas tank cross member bridge 3" angled blocks 2013 Double Cab Short Bed TRD Sport Eibach Pro Truck Shocks front and rear Lifted to the 3rd setting on the front shocks
    got second place thise weekend at an 8th scale race with my electric buggy. havent raced this thing in over a year lol. one of my drivers took first in the expert nitro class.

[​IMG]

4. Nov 18, 2013 at 8:10 AM
    colinb17

colinb17 If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    '07 TRD Sport 4x4
    Build thread in sig...
    Congrats on the podium Michael :woot:

any more news/pictures of the buggy yall were designing? :spy:

my only gripe is that this thing has a very weak slipper clutch, and the brushless really emphasizes that. it's either too loose, or you've completely bound the spring and locked up the slipper. gonna start looking for a stiffer spring and try to find that happy medium that actually bites, but still allows some slip when needed. maybe try to find a better clutch disk too.

i'm also going to try a slightly higher gearing. the momba came with another pinion with a couple more teeth i'm going to test out.

i did blow out a front axle (first breakage) but it was operator error, when i clipped a pretty good sized rock with the right front tire at about 30 mph. tossed the thing into a real nice flat spin and bew out the joint on the shaft in one shot. everything else has held up like a dream so far though.

5. Nov 18, 2013 at 3:24 PM
    littledvl

littledvl ride BMX!

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Saint Leonard MD
    Vehicle:
    08 taco dc 4x4 / 15 tundra dc 4x4
    Too many to list

I seen people running aluminum pads and having it hold up decent with dual motors and brushless setups. ill probably toss my mamba in sometime in the next few weeks, got a lot going on right now into Dec.

I havnt broken anything but have had a few servos go out for hi/low and lockers.

6. Nov 18, 2013 at 10:25 PM
    mjbtaco

mjbtaco low and slow

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Montclair , so cal
    Vehicle:
    Turbo'd 95.5 extra cab and 2013 Silver DCSB TRD Sport
    PERFORMANCE Custom Turbo Setup FRONT SUSPENSION Drop Spindles by Aaron Carswell 01-04 Swaybar Endlinks Energy Suspension Endlink Bushings Cando Upper Control arms QA1 coilovers with 8" spring Custom 4 pot Brembo BBK Modified lower control arms with mjbfab qa1 mounting plates and Poly bushing sleeves REAR SUSPENSION Chasis Tech drop leafs QA1 adjustable shocks weld in drop notch Gas tank cross member bridge 3" angled blocks 2013 Double Cab Short Bed TRD Sport Eibach Pro Truck Shocks front and rear Lifted to the 3rd setting on the front shocks
    Thanks!!

here are some sorry if theyre reposts lol

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Nov 18, 2013 at 10:50 PM
    colinb17

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    '07 TRD Sport 4x4
    Build thread in sig...
    Nice! I don't think the last photos you posted even had a motor in it. you get a chance to drive it yet?

8. Nov 25, 2013 at 1:31 PM
    colinb17

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    '07 TRD Sport 4x4
    Build thread in sig...
    nice :) the axial?

9. Nov 25, 2013 at 5:11 PM
    TACO TX

TACO TX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelly
    Denison ,Texas
    Vehicle:
    2017 DC TRD Off Road 4x4(Barcelona red)
    Weather tech liners, Ranch Sierra truck cap
    I want a wraith so bad. I have been looking for a newsed on craigslist for a good deal. Proly gonna just get a kit and put my own electronics on it. Which one did you get?

10. Nov 25, 2013 at 5:34 PM
    kbauman92

kbauman92 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    North Bend
    Vehicle:
    98 tacoma ext cab
    King 2.5x6 RR coilovers eibach coils Light Racing UCA Spidertrax spacers Fiberwerx fenders
    Anyone have a extra battery they would sell? my battery in my ridgecrest wont hold a charge for more than a minute im not sure what the deal is

11. Nov 25, 2013 at 5:48 PM
    Dcpsychobilly

Dcpsychobilly Well-Known Member

Member:
    Aurora Colorado
    Vehicle:
    04 dbl cab Taco
    Bumpers, skids, lights and more lights, trail gear bumper, sliders, front kings, dakar lift leaf springs rear, corbeau seats
    With batteries its always best to get new, you don't know what life the battery has been given :D

12. Nov 25, 2013 at 6:10 PM
    TACO TX

TACO TX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelly
    Denison ,Texas
    Vehicle:
    2017 DC TRD Off Road 4x4(Barcelona red)
    Weather tech liners, Ranch Sierra truck cap
    Yea i know, i just want to minimize upgrades and some things that im gonna change anyhow. This is the motor and ESC im gonna get for it. http://www.atomik-rc.com/540-35T-Brushed-320A-Waterproof-ESC-Combo.html?sc=31&category=476795 To answer your question from above you do not want to run LiPo's dead. Your ESC should have a low voltage cut off that shuts the vehicle down at a certain voltage so you dont run it dead. I dont know much about them as i am still using 6 cell NiMh's in my short course. But as with most battery's a full cycle is usually best.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2013
  13. Nov 25, 2013 at 6:25 PM
    TenBeers

TenBeers Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Bentonville, AR
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Pro Cavalry Blue
    CBI bed rack and sliders, Backwoods Adventure Mods front and rear bumpers, etc. And some stickers.
    First, never discharge a LiPo fully. I think most ESC's will warn you before you over-discharge it.

For storage, they (the people on Google) recommend an 80% charge and put it in the fridge.

LiPo's do not get a memory like the older batteries do. If you run it a while, charge it back up immediately.

I ran one of mine down pretty far once and didn't recharge it and it sat for a few weeks. It would then not charge, the charger kept giving an error. I used the Google to figure out how to revive it. You can set the charger to NiCad put a light trickle charge on it for a few minutes and try again. I saved mine, but YMMV, and you may end up with a charred homestead if you are not careful.

14. Nov 25, 2013 at 6:51 PM
    TenBeers

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Bentonville, AR
    Vehicle:
    CBI bed rack and sliders, Backwoods Adventure Mods front and rear bumpers, etc. And some stickers.
    That's what I do. I haven't used mine in a while and just charged them again (topped them off) so they don't drop too low.

15. Nov 25, 2013 at 6:57 PM
    Dcpsychobilly

Dcpsychobilly Well-Known Member

Member:
    Aurora Colorado
    Vehicle:
    04 dbl cab Taco
    Bumpers, skids, lights and more lights, trail gear bumper, sliders, front kings, dakar lift leaf springs rear, corbeau seats
    Lipos should not go under a certain a voltage, should be charged in a lipo bag (technically lol). Be balanced charged, stored with a minimum voltage, complicated etc etc lol. I use mine with a ESC with lipo cutoff, balance charge it and store it not dead but not fully charged. Supposely they get fat if stored charged

Last edited: Nov 25, 2013
  16. Nov 25, 2013 at 9:10 PM
    colinb17

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    '07 TRD Sport 4x4
    Build thread in sig...
    awesome looking truck. glad you were able to work out the deal/exchange on it.

17. Nov 26, 2013 at 2:56 AM
    Gear Head

Gear Head Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    Winston Salem, NC
    Vehicle:
    96 Tacoma
    fj60 front, fj80 rear, full hydro, 5.29's, welded, twin sticked 2.28/4.70 duals, 39.5's, inboarded 63's
    Awesome looking wraith! I miss mine..

Lipos are a whole different ball game. As it's been said, NEVER discharge them fully. If you do you might as well throw it in the trash. Some esc's are not compatible with lipos (don't have lipo cutoff) and will run them dry. If you use a lipo make sure lipo cutoff is ON on your esc. Also, don't set your cutoff too low. A hard pull right before it hits cutoff will still make the volts drop below cutoff and you risk not being able to bring it back. If I am letting the batteries sit for more than a few days I will leave them at storage voltage rather than fully charged or at cutoff. I can't remember all the exact numbers... it's been a while since I sold my stuff. Might get back into it soon

18. Nov 26, 2013 at 7:10 AM
    TenBeers

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Bentonville, AR
    Vehicle:
    I don't have that same charger, but mine you can set it for the number of cells and mAh of the battery and it does the rest for you. For storage, I have settings at 80% of the rated mAh (although I haven't actually used them). So for yours, that would be 3200.

Probably a good practice would be to always charge to 80% after you use it, and before you use it again, top it off.

19. Nov 26, 2013 at 7:15 AM
    colinb17

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    '07 TRD Sport 4x4
    Build thread in sig...
    Hunter, i'd go digging on the manufacturer website for a PDF of the manual for that thing. i'm sure i could figure it out if i had it in my hands, but it's hard to figure out some of that stuff over the internet.

a lot of the nicer chargers will actually have a storage mode. you balance charge the battery, and then storage mode drains the cells down to the proper voltage for leaving them extended periods of time.

20. Nov 26, 2013 at 7:21 AM
    Fink

Fink Motorboatin' SOB

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Orlando, FL
    Vehicle:
    2013 Regular Cab 4x4
    WeatherTechs, 265/75-16 DuraTracs, ATX Mojave Teflon Wheels, ARE V-Series Shell
    Is that just the AC6 or the AC680? I had the 680 which is nearly the same as the AC6.

What are you trying to figure out?

Fink

Products Discussed in

To Top