1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

anyone into the stock market?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by RoyB, Jan 6, 2009.

1. Jan 6, 2009 at 3:28 PM
    RoyB

RoyB [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Chicago burbs
    Vehicle:
    '09 TRD DC Sport
    I got into it a couple months back when they were at record lows.... of course it dropped even more once I invested :rolleyes: Lost a couple bucks on some stocks, but made it up on others. Last couple days I have been positive to what I put in. I only put 2K, not a whole lot, but enough to be pissed if I lost it. Today was the biggest gain over-all I have seen yet. Made 9% between all of my stocks.

I figured I would start a thread to see if anyone has any tips or what stocks they think will do well.

Since I have been off work a couple days I have been doing some day trading. I sold off some Alcoa (AA) to buy some Exelon (EXC). It made a couple bucks so I sold that off on monday. The top gainers for monday were the steel companies. I just picked Arcelormittal (MT) because it had the best gains for the day and appeared to have quite a large volume and near the bottom of what it was doing a couple months ago. Monday it closed about 6% up from friday (I bought in too late to see gains), but today it went up 14.3%!

I have stock spread through these companies, all of which did pretty well today...compared to the last month anyways.

Sirius- lost half the value after I bought it of course.
    Exelon
    Arcelormittal
    Morgan Stanly (+11% today)
    Alcoa
    RESEARCH IN MOTION- starting to creep back up. I didn't buy much, but it dropped like 20 bucks a share as soon as I bought....and I bought at the bottom :(

With all the trading fees and money lost/gained I am up a total of 10% today over the course of 2 months. I am pretty happy considering RIMM and SIRI both are down quite a bit from what I bought in at.

One day I will actually read up on stocks and actually make money maybe.

So what do you guys have? Any good tips/stocks?

2. Jan 6, 2009 at 3:31 PM
    beastlytaco

beastlytaco This is TW. One never knows what is a joke anymore

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Vehicle:
    08 tacoma standard cab
    15% tinted back window, 25% on sides. Jardine catback exhaust system. horn modification, AFE pro dry S filter and secondary filter removed. All weather toyota tacoma mats.
    well, i hade some stock in Ambient company. ABTG. they are a new energy company that uses internet connectivity through the power lines. BPL technology. Its REALLY cheap. Like .02 cents a share. it was like .11 cents since i bought some. but its a long ride company. you gotta be in it for the long haul.

3. Jan 6, 2009 at 3:39 PM
    RoyB

Member:
    Chicago burbs
    Vehicle:
    '09 TRD DC Sport
    I am all about penny stocks....but I just don't know which ones to get into. That's why I got into sirius. It's 52 week high was 4 bucks and 5 year was 7 bucks. I bought in at 28 cents. Now it's down to 13...but has been coming up slightly. I think once car sales come back it might help.

4. Jan 6, 2009 at 3:48 PM
    beastlytaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Vehicle:
    08 tacoma standard cab
    15% tinted back window, 25% on sides. Jardine catback exhaust system. horn modification, AFE pro dry S filter and secondary filter removed. All weather toyota tacoma mats.
    yup. thats how i play the stock market. penny stocks. course, Lowes wasnt exactly a penny stock back in the early 90's. but now its gone to crap. i might have to order more Ambient stock soon.

5. Jan 6, 2009 at 4:00 PM
    aaronatl

aaronatl ©1975

Member:
    First Name:
    Cap'n Crunch
    In A Big Country
    Vehicle:
    it hauls tostitos
    I shorted some HL (hecla mining) 500 shares
    bought at 1.30 went to 2.90 sold it all
    now it back down

6. Feb 17, 2009 at 6:14 PM
    RoyB

Member:
    Chicago burbs
    Vehicle:
    '09 TRD DC Sport
    What in the hell is going on? I haven't been paying attention to the news, but the stocks have done nothing but go DOWN HUGE the last couple days. I haven't bought or sold anything because every time I go to sell they are in the crapper.

My sirius stock lost 60% last weds (?) because of a misprint of their debt. I threw 100 bucks into it @ .07. That was Thursday I think. It has gone up 40% the last 2 days in a row to .16 today. I sold the money I had invested on friday and made out with an extra 124 over the 100 I put in. I still have 900 shares of it that I bought when it was like .24.

Man, I wish I had thrown a couple grand into it. Every stock of mine went down today and sirius went up 50% I can't see it going up another day, but who knows. For the 2000 I invested, I am only down 40 bucks. Considering the Dow is at 7600, I don't think that's too bad. I invested most of it when it was near the 9000 mark.

I lost on a couple stocks but made it up on others. Hopefully there is an uptrend soon so I can see a couple bucks.

7. Feb 17, 2009 at 7:34 PM
    nd

nd Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off-Road 4x4 debadged
    De badged, 5100's, Black Toyota Baja wheels
    my 401k has less in it now than it did a year after i started it. it is almost worthless

8. Feb 17, 2009 at 7:48 PM
    Pster

Pster Well-Known Member

Member:
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma 4x4
    Bak Flip bed cover, shorty antenna, Peripheral iPod interface, Garmin 750 mount, add'l bed tie down rings, Westin nerf bars, hitch safe, tailgate lock, Ideal 1 3/4" turn-key clamp to secure tailgate from removal, Spare tire security cable, spare tire stainless air hose extender, Fumoto oil drain valve, Amp Research Bed X-Tender w/Schlage Cable Lock, bed mat, Redline hood struts
    Obama=Deer in Headlights=Stock Market Meltdown=More Gov't Loans=Stock Market Melts Down More=Taxes Up Big Time=Depression.

9. Feb 18, 2009 at 9:37 AM
    beastlytaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Vehicle:
    08 tacoma standard cab
    yeah we are actually ina depression. the fed just isnt using the term because it is too damn .......well depressing.

10. Feb 18, 2009 at 10:19 AM
    RoyB

Member:
    Chicago burbs
    Vehicle:
    '09 TRD DC Sport
    werd. Sirius is down 16% today. good thing I sold yesterday

11. Feb 18, 2009 at 1:10 PM
    goofyboy

goofyboy Longhorn.

Member:
    Katy, Tx
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport
    there are some really good buys out there right now. It is a crap shoot, though. any of them could go under or rebound. Check out DOW Chemical. Lots of issues right now, but they are at a big time low. $8.62. Last year they were at over $42 a share.

To Top