1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Anyone regret their Tacoma purchase? Would you buy it again?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by cycledrum, Mar 11, 2008.

1. Jan 23, 2010 at 8:10 AM
    PropJet

PropJet Well-Known Member

Member:
    KS
    Vehicle:
    '09 DC TRD Off Road
    ToyTec Ultimate Lift Kit, Moto Metal 955's, GoodYear DuraTrac 265/75/16's, N-Fab Nerf Bar
    Exactly! I would like to add the difficulty in starting that some trucks, including mine, seem to have. Occasionally it will take several attempts, cranking the engine for several seconds each time, before it will start. On the attempt that it does start, it sputters for several seconds before it's finally running like it should. No excuse for that, especially from a company as successful as Toyota.

2. Jan 23, 2010 at 8:31 AM
    LEBM

LEBM Thread Killer

Member:
    Eleanor, WV
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD PRO 6MT Midnight Black

I had that problem a lot more with my 1st gen... but I hear you...

3. Jan 23, 2010 at 8:38 AM
    BTO

BTO Well-Known Member

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    '07 Silver PR DC AT SR5 TP LSD
    Bilstein 5100s front, Adjustable Ranchos rear.
    Not looking forward to changing the tranny fluid. Not looking forward to discovering a timing cover leak two weeks after my powertrain warranty expires. Not looking forward to the drive by wire going nuts when it wants to. But whatever. I guess all vehicles have their quirks.

4. Jan 23, 2010 at 9:14 AM
    Plannerman99

Plannerman99 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    Our Adventure Vehicle
    I love my truck! '09 4x4. I've driven my truck really hard and it's held up very well. 30k miles in a year, which includes off-raoding, hauling, and towing and it's still very quiet (not perfect, but damn quiet).

I had a squeak in my clutch that started driving me nuts and the dealerships couldn't locate, diagnose, or fix (making me nuttier) and so I gave serious thought to this question. The reality is that no one else offers such a great package: durability, comfort, off-road ability, and bad-ass looks and so, I decided, that I was happy with my truck and I would have purchased it even with the clutch issue.

The good news is that the clutch is fixed. After much research, I diagnosed the problem, found a good service tech, and they fixed the clutch with a re-designed bushing. Happy day

5. Jan 23, 2010 at 10:56 AM
    64Wildcat

64Wildcat Black Jeep of the family

Member:
    First Name:
    Denis
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    2015 Rubicon
    I'm on my 2nd Tacoma, i had an 05 access cab,but need more room for my 2 boys so i bought an 09 double cab,i've had a few issues(rear spring tsb,tranny lag and the ghost radio thing,all fixed) but besides that it'a a great truck!
    No regrets what so ever!
    And when the time comes years down the road i'll buy another one.

Denis

6. Jan 25, 2010 at 5:37 AM
    burtonboards32

burtonboards32 Well-Known Member

Member:
    I wish that I had not purchased my truck. I bought it as a somewhat economical work truck and quickly found out that it was really only good for a commuter scooter. Don't get me wrong, this truck is solid, gets good fuel mileage unloaded and will hold it's value better than just about any truck out there but you definitely give up quite a bit of function for those three things. For personal use, the interior is small and can be uncomfortable for long road trips, the plastic bed has already been demolished while hauling my motorcycle in it, and I really don't think it is very good in the snow. For business use it is even worse. I can't find a tool box big enough to hold barely any tools, unlike the pre-tacos, there are zero somewhat durable steel snow plows available, the truck can't even tow it's own body weight, and I'd you load up the bed with anything somewhat heavy you can kiss any ride comfort, acceleration and that decent fuel mileage out the window. If you are looking for a grocery getting beach cruiser I would recommend the Tacoma but if you want a truck with the intentions of using it as a truck, I would keep my distance. With that said, my next truck will be a gas guzzling full size workhorse.

7. Jan 25, 2010 at 5:56 AM
    bishtacova

bishtacova Don't buy a Ford

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2009 DC PreRunner V6
    4 leaf TSB, reflash ECM, Eurostyle antenna, thule roof rack, bed extender
    I would 2nd this opinion to some extent. The quality issues that have come out of the 09 I got should've been fixed such as the ECM transmission and springs. My truck has been in the shop for more days than I'd like to admit. I'm trying to get my springs replaced as I bottomed out the other day. However, they did fix the issues so far and it's a pretty good vehicle. Hopefully there won't be any more TSB's after the springs!

8. Jan 25, 2010 at 6:29 AM
    alpineski26

alpineski26 Active Member

Member:
    Boston
    Vehicle:
    05 SR5 TRD
    Like everything in life, its all about buying the right tool for the job. If you want to haul heavy loads, tow yachts and bring all your buddies with you every weekend. Buy a full size workhorse. If you want to commute, and occasionally move larger items or transport a motorcycle a few times a year, or a couple of dirtbikes on the weekends with one other person...the tacoma is fantastic. Figure out what you Need, and make the correct selection.

As for everyone complaining about quality, you have to keep two things in mind. 1. Its not american made, stop complaining. 2. They have to fail at somepoint, if they made a perfect vehicle that NEVER broke, you are less likely to buy a new one. They make less money. The average person drives 12-15k miles a year, which puts ~8 years on a vehcile with 100k miles. Expect to have to do major mechanical work at that point to keep it running for another 100k, or buy a new vehicle. Everyone has to make money somewhere.

And to answer, I just bought a used 05, couldnt be happier. I drove my last vehicle until it needed major work, which was 135k miles. Plan on doing the same to this one.

9. Jan 25, 2010 at 7:01 AM
    18seeds

18seeds Well-Known Member

Member:
    If the SC doesn't come out for the 2010 model soon I will really start regretting it. I'm coming from a 06 Dodge Diesel and up here at the high altitude i really need something to compensate for the lost HP.

10. Jan 25, 2010 at 8:25 AM
    SilverMac

SilverMac Mine's the silver one...

Member:
    Keller, TX
    Vehicle:
    2008 PreRunner DC SR5
    My previous six trucks were Fords (3 Rangers, 2 F-150s and an Explorer). While I had no major problems out of any of them, I bought my Tacoma based on Toyota's reliability and quality record. My son was 6 years old when I bought it, and my intention was to drive it for 10 years and pass it on to him... 2 years down and 8 to go with no regrets so far.

11. Jan 25, 2010 at 8:38 AM
    grivera

grivera Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hanover, MD
    Vehicle:
    '08 DC SR5 4x4, Desert Sand Mica
    Rear Suspension TSB, Bilstein 5100 on all 4 corners-fronts set at 1.75". BFG A/T's @ 265/75/16; Access LE Roll-up cover; Iron Cross Tube SS Steps; Fumoto valve; WeatherTech Liners; AFE Pro-Dry; front side windows tinted 20%; TW Decal!
    I agree with the above. The problem is your question is too subjective. Most of us hear love Toyotas and may be a wee-bit biased.

I suggest that you search this forum for problems associated with the 2nd gens, and ask yourself if you could live with the issues. What difference does it make if we do or don't regret our purchase? The question is would you regret it if any/all of the documented issues were to show up on yours.

12. Jan 30, 2010 at 3:31 PM
    tacomakid96

tacomakid96 Lions Not Sheep

Member:
    First Name:
    Phil
    Out n' about
    Vehicle:
    1996 Tacoma / 2000 4.7 Tundra TRD
    No regrets dont spend the 30k if you dont seriously want a new high end taco the late 90's tacomas are great if you need the double cab find a early 2000,s one that a old man drove to church and pocket the 15k just my $0.02

13. Apr 17, 2010 at 10:18 PM
    mgaudet7

mgaudet7 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Saskatchewan, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma TRD Offroad Speedway Blue
    stock except for TRD seat covers
    Im glad i came across this thread, its interesting getting opinions from people who actually own the trucks. As for my opinions:

Pros: I love the looks, the power is good, i love the functionality of the bed, its hasnt given me any problems yet and it has good resale value

Cons: I find the ride horrible, i think its mostly because i have the access cab and the doors move around so much but i used to have a mazda truck with the same set up and it didnt make nearly as much noise. The bed seems to bounce around alot also. The 6spd sucks in my opinion, next time i would buy an automatic and fuel mileage sucks, but thats no surprise as my mazda was even worse.

Conclusion: Decent truck but hasn't lived up to my expectations. Hopefully the claimed toyota reliability will prove me wrong. But as of now, i think a person will be better off buying a half-ton.

14. Apr 17, 2010 at 10:22 PM
    numbah57

numbah57 GIVE THE MALL A BREAK...WHEEL THAT SHIT

Member:
    First Name:
    kahai
    Maui, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    09 tacoma 2.7 Beaten not Babied
    URD ARB G2 PELFREY BAMF LCE AFE
    Would buy again no problem, only it would be a TRD 0FFROAD

15. Apr 18, 2010 at 6:57 AM
    RSH904

RSH904 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Akron, Oh
    Vehicle:
    Red and Black Attack
    Extang Trifecta Tonneau Painted Stock Wheels De Badged Yellow Fogs AVS Bugflector II UWS Running Boads Hunter Bully Bar HD Satoshi

x2 except sport. I regret buying a base 4x4 and not a TRD

16. Apr 18, 2010 at 7:14 AM
    jd444c

jd444c Member

Member:
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    2018 Limited 4X4 Auto
    I am having intermittent no start problems on my 2010. For this reason I would not buy another one , other than that the truck is ok. I never had a problem like this with any of my previous vehicles including my last which was a 2004 Nissan Titan.

17. Apr 18, 2010 at 8:02 AM
    Cars0n`

Cars0n` Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Carson
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    03 2.7L 4x4 5spd
    seeing as how my parents own the truck, when i take ownership im gonna keep it for a while then upgrade when im settled down. the only thing i wish were different is:

wish i had 4x4 v6

i can live with the base model like i have, but it would be nice if i had all the electric things like windows mirrors and door locks..

18. Apr 18, 2010 at 12:01 PM
    RichP

RichP Dedicated Toyota Buyer

Member:
    Tacoma, WA
    Vehicle:
    '10 Tacoma Access Cab SR5
    Just sold a '97 Base model with 107k on it and there wasn't a rattle to be heard. I'm fully expecting my new Taco to be the same way. No regrets at all.

19. Apr 18, 2010 at 2:25 PM
    gozar

gozar Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Off-Road 4x4
    I wish I would have gotten a 1 or 2 year old used truck instead of a new one.
    I'd be in a lot better position in terms of total expense / equity in the vehicle.
    I paid $23k and change for my TRD Pre-Runner in 2007. A couple of weeks later a friend bought an identical 2005 for $16k. It had 25,000 miles, was just as nice - and it had a wheel / tire upgrade.

I think I was just too lazy to go looking for a nice used one, and the ol' S-10 was about to die on me.

Products Discussed in

To Top