1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Anyone removed the cat on the 5vzfe and have actual performance improvements?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Riptide, Dec 16, 2011.

1. Dec 16, 2011 at 9:50 AM
    Riptide

Riptide [OP] Knee Dragger

Member:
    Richmond, VA
    Vehicle:
    99' Black Tacoma TRD 4x4 6 cyl Ext Cab
    Matching bed cover, soon-to-be 01 front end conversion
    Some motors love to breath and simply removing the cat (when / where applicable) increases HP to some degree or another - unless very dependent on back pressure. Anyone removed it for the first gen Taco's 5vzfe and have a power increase? I can imagine it's louder and possibly better sounding, which can be confused with an actual increase in power, but anyone maybe even heard of a dyno or VERY obvious performance increase?

I have heavy towing in my future and any affordable power mods are very welcomed. I figure popping in a mid pipe / straight through pipe in the place of the cat should give me a worthwhile increase up top.

Thanks folks! :cool:

2. Dec 16, 2011 at 9:54 AM
    Riptide

Riptide [OP] Knee Dragger

Member:
    Richmond, VA
    Vehicle:
    99' Black Tacoma TRD 4x4 6 cyl Ext Cab
    Matching bed cover, soon-to-be 01 front end conversion
    Gotcha. So would it be better to go with a high flow cat? Or is it even worth it?

3. Dec 16, 2011 at 8:16 PM
    chickenhead

chickenhead Active Member

Member:
    Oklahoma
    Vehicle:
    2005 TRD DC 4X4
    OME 887 BILSTEIN 5100'S 2" BLOCKS IN THE REAR ARB FRONT BUMPER
    I have removed mine on my 02 DC and gained about .5 mpg. I tow all the time, boats and trailers with no change in power. Its been gone for over 2 years now.

4. May 8, 2012 at 1:05 AM
    Island Taco 808

Island Taco 808 New Member

Member:
    Oahu
    Vehicle:
    01 limited sr5 4x4 Lexus pearl white Tacoma
    grey wire mod to the diff lock, by pass day lights, lexus pearl white paint, 3 inch ultimate toytec lift with control arms complete leaf spring, removed catalytic converters, urd 02 sensor simulator for post cat, too much to list all.
    I have replaced my down pipe that hold both catalytic converters with a straight pipe, if u are going to do the same u will need to put a chip on your rear o2 sensor. Assuming u dont have smog checks its a great way to improve power and gas mileage. The o2 sensor simulator i used was from Underdog Racing development, also known as an o2 simulator, it tricks your ecu in to thinking the cats are still there and working properly. i kept my stock muffler and not much of a difference in sound but very noticeable when towing my bobcat especially uphill when i really need the extra power ... a good flowing air filter helps when u need that extra power as well. A cheap, easy and reliable way to do that is to get a universal round air filter like the lifetime warranty Spectre airfilter found at checkers. u can break the stock plastic tube off the stock air box and throw away your air box. Take the tube that u broke off and take the air box end and shave the lip off with a bench grinder and fit the after market air filter on. there u go it sounds good too.. (;

the emissions tube going to the air box can be traced and removed as that only puts air from your gas tank in your engine...

Hope those mods helped u out...

5. May 8, 2012 at 2:23 AM
    Joshua1

Joshua1 Member

Member:
    support[​IMG]

Products Discussed in

To Top