1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Anyone replace OEM head unit display with aftermarket w/ apple car play?

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by taco_newb, Nov 17, 2019.

1. Nov 17, 2019 at 7:06 PM
    newdles

newdles Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Achmed
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma TRD Off- road
    Sounds good. Now to weigh the options really vs a $1500 upgrade for CarPlay and a little more. Would be nice to have video playback and did like the push of a button to see backup cam. All in all won’t happen anytime soon but worth thinking about from both sides. Thanks for explaining.

2. Nov 18, 2019 at 7:45 PM
    Jv39047

Jv39047 Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma TRD Pro
    Install was pretty straight forward. The ilx-f309tcm has everything needed for install. Comes with preflashed maestro module that integrates into computer for steering wheel controls, engine info, tire pressure. Functions just like factory with the exception of navigation popping up on dash display behind steering wheel. If you want to retain xm, you’ll need to get separate tuner. Somewhat a fool proof install. Very tight fit getting dash trim back in around radio mounting kit, but a little finagling got it on without issue. Got mine on eBay from certified dealer for $1050. Worth it to not hunt down all harnesses and modules needed. Have more pics if wanted. Also put in alpine psu-300tcm which was a bit more challenging, but if I can do it anyone can.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  3. Nov 18, 2019 at 7:53 PM
    CavalryTacoTN

CavalryTacoTN Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Vehicle:
    2020 magnetic f150 STX
    Yeah man I went fairly budget with mine since I figured just about ANYTHING was better than the entune system. So I went on Crutchfield and ordered as follows: Sony XAV AX1000 https://www.crutchfield.com/S-lqdtc1ftsIU/p_158XAV1000/Sony-XAV-AX1000.html, CRUX wiring interface with the Crutchfield soldering service https://www.crutchfield.com/p_249TY61N/Crux-SWRTY-61N-Wiring-Interface.html, and dash Kit https://www.crutchfield.com/p_003TOYK971/American-International-TOYK971-Dash-Kit-Satin-Black.html. I lost zero functionality. Everything works and I just ran the external mic to a Hondo garage Unholy mount with a ram mounts ball and it doesn't bother me at all and works great.

4. Dec 5, 2019 at 12:05 PM
    faffyface

faffyface Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Off Road
    do you mean where it shows you the street name at the bottom of the console screen display?

also, do you have to have the phone connected via the usb port or will it do it from the wireless qi pad?

5. Dec 5, 2019 at 1:31 PM
    Siopao

Siopao Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2019 Cement TRD off road
    I’ve been eyeing this kit. A couple things I’m worried about is how much this will shake when off roading and how far this protrudes out from the stock location.

Have you been off road with this unit? Can you show us a side pic to see how much it actually sticks out from the dash?

Thanks!

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.

Products Discussed in

To Top