1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

anyone run winter wheels/tires?

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by Johnson8537, Dec 22, 2008.

1. Dec 22, 2008 at 10:22 PM
    Johnson8537

Johnson8537 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD SPORT 4x4 Double Cab Long bed
    Revtek Leveling Kit with 1 1/2 block spacer in rear. 17" MotoMetal blacks on 32" tires. Access Lorado Tonneau - Bed mat Billet Grill Tinted Windows Pioneer 700BT with PAC steering wheel inerface. Wet Okole Seat Covers Front and back.
    Anyone run any winter/wheel tire setups and just not worry about the TPMS light?

I thought about getting a cheap set of steelies and then mounting some winter tires on them. Any idea what a set up stock steel wheels are worth? 17"

I just didn't know if i could handle the TPMS light on all the time.

having the light on wont hurt anything would it? I couldn't imagine but thought better safe to ask than be sorry later.

2. Dec 23, 2008 at 2:04 AM
    derekabraham

derekabraham Living vicariously through everybody

Member:
    First Name:
    TW'S Hippy Liberal
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    2002 4x4 4Runner
    Stick on hood scoop from Autozone.
    It won't hurt anything, but it is annoying.

3. Dec 23, 2008 at 5:06 AM
    Simon's Mom

Simon's Mom Wag More Bark Less

Member:
    First Name:
    Judy or Jude :)
    NEK Island Pond VT
    Vehicle:
    24 Tundra Trd Sport former 13 TRD OR
    Stock for now
    You don't have to run a 17" winter wheels, its easier to find stock 16"s, 01-06Tundras steels fit as well as the GEN2 tacoma ones. A set will run around 125-200 depending where you find them. You will need lug nuts too though since the steelies holes are concave (not flat). Tire rack suggests narrower snows, like 245/75/16, a bonus is they are less expensive than 17s or 265/70/16.

It doesn't hurt your TPMS at all and sometimes the light may be intermittent if you keep your 17 wheels with the sensors in the garage. It could be time or distance that sets them off, but mine on my tundra wouldn't trigger a sensor unless I was outside a certain mileage zone. Someone suggested it may be time. I dunno, all I knew is if I parked near the sensors the light would reset or be off. Around town no light. Outside of town (25-30) light would come on. A piece of tape, tacomabusiness card, something covers the light.

There are a few members that run them, Blizzaks and Winterforce are the most popular. Check the online shops, they usually run winter sets, craigslist, ebay.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  4. Dec 23, 2008 at 8:20 AM
    hashemg

hashemg Well-Known Member

Member:
    Eastern MA
    Vehicle:
    08 Black Reg Cab 4x4
    3" Lift, Camburg Coil-Overs and UCA, 3" All Pro Leafs and OME rear shock, 33X12.5R17 Mickey Thompson on teflon coated American racing rims, Black headlight mod, Black taillight mod, tourneau cover, cargo divider, door sil protecors.
    My light is on all the time......its not really that annoying.....i find that I never really see it while driving.

5. Dec 23, 2008 at 3:49 PM
    Johnson8537

Johnson8537 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD SPORT 4x4 Double Cab Long bed
    Revtek Leveling Kit with 1 1/2 block spacer in rear. 17" MotoMetal blacks on 32" tires. Access Lorado Tonneau - Bed mat Billet Grill Tinted Windows Pioneer 700BT with PAC steering wheel inerface. Wet Okole Seat Covers Front and back.

I found a set of 17" for 100 on my local CL
    I think i could get them cheaper as they have been on there for a while!

(he may even have the lugs for them? ) I gave my old lugs away when i sold my stock wheels and tires..

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  6. Dec 25, 2008 at 8:55 AM
    JonO81

JonO81 Member

Member:
    Central Wisconsin!
    Vehicle:
    09' Tacoma 2.7,4x4,5-speed
    Sound system, UWS high-pro.tool box, Aries bullguard/skidplate, upgraded to17'Tacoma sport rims.
    nope wont hurt a thing!! I had the same thing happen when I put my 17's on too, Just put a piece of tape over it on your dash!!!!!!!

7. Dec 26, 2008 at 5:04 AM
    longbow

longbow I see you now..................

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma Silver Mica TRD 4 Door
    Toy-tec Coil over lift, Eibach 700 lb springs, Sway bar relocate, Total Chaos UCA's, Moto metal wheels, BFG mudterrians, HID, custom 3 piece grill, Highlift jack w/custom mount, Highlift jack cover, bed matt, de-badged 100%, storage box lock mod, using defrost w/o AC mod, short antenna mod, horn re-locate, Tire Gate flat spare tire mount, engine cover painted, bed light (1) mod, wreck bar carrier, Blue Sea 5026 fuse block, center console outlet, flash light mod, Blue Sea inline fuse, Shrockworks sliders, All-Pro front bumper, Piaa 510 driving lights, Warn shackles front, Kennesaw rear bumper, "Tag Boltz" plate lights, Warn shackles rear, Warn M8000 winch, devil horns, BHLM, weathech liners front and rear.....T.W. sticker of course. Custom Sock bed decal for Michele
    don't know if this would help, but PM hoosiertaco. He put studs in tires and mounted them on the wheels he got of me.
    I know nothing about those sensors, my 05, nope.
    :) Just and idea :)

8. Dec 26, 2008 at 6:42 AM
    TacticalBacon13

TacticalBacon13 Sorry for party rockin'

Member:
    First Name:
    Dunk
    Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    2014 tundra platinum
    baby seat and a muffler
    im running my stock rims with 285 bfg all terrains works good

9. Dec 26, 2008 at 7:48 AM
    Demoncleaner

Demoncleaner Well-Known Member

Member:
    Upstate NY
    Vehicle:
    05 Dcab 6spd 4x4 TRD Sport w/Tow
    TRD exhaust Homemade bed mat & bed extender, front Drings, Short clutch throw, Summer: Stock 17's Winter: Blizzaks on 16' black steelies
    I'm on winter #5 with 245/75 16 Blizzaks. Runs an inch narrower than the stock 17's but its same diameter, so no speedo issue.

New steel 16x7 rims are getting harder to find cause of the rise of TMPS (Dont have on my 05:)). But I'll second what xedge said, there are plenty of 16x7 toyota truck rims out there that'll fit our trucks.

10. Dec 26, 2008 at 1:34 PM
    hoosiertaco

hoosiertaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Got a super deal on longbows' rims.(thanks dude) Put a set of Winterforce with studs on them. Driving a new route this winter with a few bad hills so I wanted the extra peace of mind.

Aready had 1 trip home where nobody else could get up the hill, imo already paid for themselves. Made it home without slipping a tire.

If it wasn't for that 1 hill I would have followed Demoncleaner and went with the Blizzaks for sure.....

I let the light on my dash come on and was going to put tape over it. IMHO, there are enough different color lights on my cluster it looks like a Christmas tree anyway.;) low beam/high beam light, 'D' light, cruise light, and I think I may be missing some, but the one for the TPMS doesn't bother me at all.

My biggest pet peave is I can't stand any paper or anything up on my dash when I drive.....:)

[​IMG]

11. Dec 26, 2008 at 1:44 PM
    DefJeff

DefJeff Member

Member:
    i bought the toyota 16" rims. 80 bucks (canadian) a pop. and 245/75/16. The tpms is no big deal, and i think there is a work around to turn it off completely. it just creates complacency anyways. and i think if you want to buy the tire valves so that the tpms works, they are more expensive than the rims. ha!

and i do use the stock 17" rim nuts for my 16" winter rims. second winter and never had any issues. well, maybe one, they seem to be corroding and starting to get that rust look to them.

Products Discussed in

To Top