1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Anyone running the Marlin Crawler short throw shifter?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Swimmerboy2112, Apr 20, 2013.

1. Apr 20, 2013 at 4:39 AM
    Swimmerboy2112

Swimmerboy2112 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Walnutport, PA
    Vehicle:
    02 TRD V6 5 Speed X-Cab
    Borla exhaust, K&N intake, ARB bumper, 16x8 Konig Countersteer Offroad wheels, 20% Tint
    Thinking about picking it up. I don't like the long throw in my 02. I know URD makes one but Marlins looks more of a complete unit plus I've dealt with them before and they were always very honest and helpful. Not that I'm saying URD isn't, I just don't have much experience with them.

-Brian

2. Aug 2, 2013 at 5:33 PM
    TACOMABOSS

TACOMABOSS Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    96 SR5 4x4
    Bilstein 5100s, Toytec AAL, Deck plate mod, Hella 500ff's, Sportsman Camo seat covers, Total Chaos 1" diff drop, JVC stereo, Painted bumpers and grille, Custom grille insert, HID projectors, Black spray paint
    Bump. Also interested. Anyone know the differences between the marlin crawler one and the URD one?

3. Aug 2, 2013 at 10:44 PM
    JMaberry

JMaberry Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Vehicle:
    01 3.4L TRD SR5 Extended Cab
    Spectre Intake, custom exhuast, ultragauge, bedlined bumpers and grill, ARE shell, jvc headunit, bottle opener in bed, satoshi, hella 500ffs behind grill
    sub'd

4. Aug 3, 2013 at 7:54 AM
    vtrguy

vtrguy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jarrod
    Chico
    Vehicle:
    '01 Taco TRD xCab SR5
    Deckplate, Full OME kit, Snugtop Camper, Camry ignition ring, TRD Catback
    Hey bud!

I was going to do a write up a few weeks back but ended up getting swamped in the office and I just got back from camping but....

The Marlin crawler short shifter is a modified stock unit; they use the original shifter and modify the height of the plate that holds it to the transmission and the shifter seat. The lower pivot shortens the throw while retaining a stock handle.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

The URD kit includes an extension for the shifter INSIDE the transmission.

It is a 3 piece kit; one piece that replicates the dimensions of the stock shifter in order to allow it to fit back into the transmission and two identical pieces that change the profile of the shaft from a V to a cylinder in order to keep the lower shifter portion straight and secure. They also include a sandwich adapter plate as the increased height would prevent the shifter from getting full movement.

The URD does have a few little hiccups...

1. There is the chance for the pieces to fall off and go into your transmission?!?!?!?!?!

(not if you set it up correctly using locktite and peaning the bolts)

2. The OEM rubber shift boot doesn't stretch that well and you will find that it could potentially pop off the retainer on the shifter. Mine has done so and I remedied that with duct tape. And has held up A-OKAY.

3. RTV is fun stuff. Be prepared to ruin at least one shirt getting all the surfaces properly gooped.

However, it does have it's benefits.

1. Cost :rolleyes:

2. It gives you the chance to replace your ball/seat combination (Marlin includes this as well but it's nice to do it with the URD too)
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I haven't used the Marlin shifter so I cannot give any insight there but I have had my URD installed for a month now and there have been no problems. I don't think I could ever go back to a stock unit.

In any case, when either manufacturers short shifter is installed properly, you won't have any problems and you'll be able to enjoy not moving your arm approximately 63 feet in order to get the tranny in the next gear :D

Hope this helps!

5. Aug 3, 2013 at 7:56 AM
    vtrguy

vtrguy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jarrod
    Chico
    Vehicle:
    '01 Taco TRD xCab SR5
    Deckplate, Full OME kit, Snugtop Camper, Camry ignition ring, TRD Catback
    *as a side note, for those running a body lift kit, the 1" height increase could potentially help you and make it so you don't need to extend the shifter

Products Discussed in

To Top