1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Anyone running two JL Audio 13tw5 in DC?

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by Scout23, Apr 3, 2010.

1. Apr 3, 2010 at 7:35 PM
    Scout23

Scout23 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Southcoast, MA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma TRD
    I am considering running two JL Audio 13tw5 subs in a double cab. I was wondering if anyone has tried this before and what amp are you using?
    Mr. Marv can do the enclosure but I am wondering if it would be overkill (too much bass)? I may back down to two twelves. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. Apr 3, 2010 at 7:46 PM
    86ceeten

86ceeten Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    NW Florida
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Off Road PreRunner
    Limo tint, 18x10 Diamo Karat, Toyo 285-60's, Rear TSB, 5100's all around, front at 2.5", Debadged, Sound System (evolving)
    I would love to try that combo! I will be installing one 13tw5 as soon as my Marv box gets here! He told me he has done two Tw5's for a guy in a doublecab and it was pretty impressive!

3. Jul 4, 2011 at 8:48 PM
    TROY

TROY Member

Member:
    Puerto rico
    Vehicle:
    2011 tacoma trd sport
    I need how to get that sub box with
    13 tw5 for my taco db cab

4. Jul 4, 2011 at 8:54 PM
    TROY

TROY Member

Member:
    Puerto rico
    Vehicle:
    2011 tacoma trd sport
    Where can i find Mr marv ?

5. Jul 4, 2011 at 9:44 PM
    Buddha4

Buddha4 Active Member

Member:
    CO
    cold air intake
    Running one of the subs in a Mr Marv box. Have Hertz components up front and are all being powered with a Audison amp. One sub is plenty

6. Jul 5, 2011 at 8:27 AM
    TROY

TROY Member

Member:
    Puerto rico
    Vehicle:
    2011 tacoma trd sport
    buddha4
    How it sound thats my setup
    Hertz, audison, jl audio and jvc 840

Hey and where did u buy the audison
    And the hertz ?
    Get me the inf
    Thks...

7. Jul 5, 2011 at 4:45 PM
    Buddha4

Buddha4 Active Member

Member:
    CO
    cold air intake
    I bought the Hertz from a dealer "Radioactive"
    in GA when I was down there. The Audison LRX 5.1 was bought off ebay and the JL speaker was bought from a local dealer that did the install. I have the stock head unit and running everything through an Audison Bit One.

Dealer that did the install was EAS http://www.eliteaudiosolutions.com They did a great job

8. Jul 5, 2011 at 4:53 PM
    TheDavel

TheDavel Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Spokane Wa
    Vehicle:
    Audio Stuffed 08 Tacoma DC
    yes, yes and yes
    Sam, Timothy and Jeff @ elite are all top notch... I worked with them for years... take a look at my tacoma when you get a chance...

9. Jul 6, 2011 at 7:13 AM
    Scout23

Scout23 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Southcoast, MA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma TRD
    After over a year of wanting to, and initially going with 2 Pioneer shallow-mount 12" subwoofers, I finally pulled the trigger and had Mr. Marv build me a dual 13tw-5 enclosure.

First and foremost: Marv's build quality is excellent. I actually considered staining it until Marv stated that the birch does not stain well. I thought of carpeting it but went the truck bed liner approach figuring I can always carpet it later if I don't like the way it looks.

With Marv's guidance I filled the screw holes, sanded, and then primed with a white oil-based primer. I went "off script" from Marv's instructions only by adding terminal cups to the rear of the enclosures.

Finally, I finished the enclosures with DupliColor Bed Armor coating. Which is kind of difficult to work with because if tends to spray unevenly and runs easily. I tried to use three light coats but still had some problems.

Installation was easy after removing the seat backs and drilling off the child-seat brackets on the wall. (Take it from me, drill out the welds, don't try a chisel, not pretty.) I used self-drilling screws to attach the enclosures to the channel that had held the child-seat brackets (done prior to final mounting of the 13TW-5 subwoofers).

The subwoofers are powered by an Alpine PDX-M12 amplifier (1200Wx1 into 2 ohms). I was concerned about the 13TW-5s combined 1.5 ohm impedance being too low for the PDX-M12 but I have had no problems yet.

Sound Quality: WOW... Much more than I expected. They hit harder, deeper, and cleaner than the two 12" Pioneers (which weren't shabby). Well worth the expense. If I had not had the Pioneers first I would have been concerned that I over-spent, but not now!

Anyone local to Southcoast MA, Providence RI area want to pickup a free dual 12" subwoofer enclosure with Pioneer subwoofers (PM me)?

DSCN0200.jpg
    DSCN0204.jpg
    DSCN0206.jpg
    DSCN0208.jpg
    DSCN0211.jpg
    DSCN0212.jpg
    DSCN0215.jpg

10. Jul 6, 2011 at 8:57 AM
    Mr Marv

Mr Marv 1-831-383-0308 7am-10pm pst Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Marv
    Monterey Bay California
    Vehicle:
    Custom Built Enclosures/speaker adapters etc
    Authorized Hybrid Audio Technologies Dealer (www.hybrid-audio.com) ARC Audio amplifiers, subs, processors now available! Helix Processors now available! For you super high end guys Brax amplifiers will be available soon! (PICS HERE and new website coming soon with Subwoofers, Amplifiers, Wiring Kits)
    Glad it worked out Scout and looks great! :)

To Top