1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Anyone see this or own one?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Firemn41, Nov 12, 2011.

1. Nov 19, 2011 at 2:19 PM
    TRDsport253

TRDsport253 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Edgewood, Wa
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD sport 4x4
    TRD Wheels TRD Skid plate
    I read somewhere on toyotanation about the rosen navigation on an 08 Highlander. They said it actually made his stock speaker sound better. So I'm assuming that it does have more output but probably not much more than stock.

2. Nov 19, 2011 at 4:19 PM
    shawnd2

shawnd2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Shawn
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 TRD Offroad
    Sure. I'm away this weekend, but I'll take some pictures tomorrow afternoon.

Shawn

3. Nov 19, 2011 at 6:42 PM
    Fast Install

Fast Install Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Quebec, Canada
    Vehicle:
    09' white TRD Sport
    I'm talking about those on Ebay.
    The sound is very good, greater than the OEM all the way. But for those who want a fully adjustable built-in crossover, they don't have them!!!

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  4. Nov 19, 2011 at 7:32 PM
    chatapuggy1

chatapuggy1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    2009 Double Cab TRD Off-Road
    OK, I posted about these units a while back as I was itching to buy one bad. The ottonavi company is out of Arcadia but they actually ship from their warehouse in Ontario right off of Haven on the 60fwy once they get these units from China of course.

I talked to a real cool guy by the name of Kuo and he let me come by and tinker with it just last week, he also said if I was interested, he would give it to me for 599 versus the 699 advertised once I was messing with it.

I will tell you this, it is most definitely a knock off in the utmost degree. You can tell and if you want a quality unit that feels solid, this isn't it. The faceplate is okay and will match, but the illumination seems off to the colors of our dash lights by a bit. He had it out and let me bench test it for a bit while he pitched how good it was.

I love the SD card slot, and the ipod hookup was smooth. I did notice going through the folders for song whether on the SD card or the pod was difficult, step by step, it took forever. The touch screen didnt seem to be grabbing like I wanted it, should have been more sensitive. The software included was screaming cheap Chinese knockoff, very basic and low budget.

The Navi was lame at best, no street names via voice and maps looked archaic. The Factory Navi in my Lexus kills this and I think even that sucks, the Garmin or Tom Tom wins hands down..

We had it connected to a couple of small Bose bookshelfs, so I cant comment too much on sound. Some functions were delayed when you would press the buttons, like FM to Ipod, etc. And worst of all, it froze on me twice and had to be pin reset by Kuo who proceeded to tell me they are working a firmware update that should fix it!

Plug and play steering wheel controls will work, however, they confirmed this unit WILL NOT work if you have factory JBL. And the mic is built in for the bluetooth phone on the unit itself, a deal breaker for me, as they are never sensitive enough for your callers to hear you.

It was disappointing to say the least, I wanted to love this unit as I really don't have the time to install an aftermarket, i wanted plug and play. I couldn't, bottom line was that the best thing about this unit was the faceplate.

Another poster said it best, you get what you pay for, I would have been mad once I had this in my car.

I didn't even bother to take a photo, its the one with the volume knobs at the bottom that someone else posted a video of. I am as cheap as they come, and you have been warned, this things screams cheap and I think you will be disappointed.

On the flip side, this place has Android head units for the car I was toying with and they seemed pretty cool, much less than a car-puter, however, they just come in standard double din factory units. But they seemed a little choppy too..

I would love Garmin and Kenwood but at my price point, I think I am going with the JVC, I hear good things about it for about 799.

Please don't flame me for any of my opinions, I am just hoping this will help stop someone who is really wanting this unit to think twice. In my opinion, you will be wasting you 699. And if you are in SoCal, you can go check them out personally like i did, they tell me just call first and I have their local number, just PM me and I will give it to you.

5. Nov 19, 2011 at 8:07 PM
    USAFVol

USAFVol Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Sport
    Thanks for the info puggy. I like the look of it but dang I would be mad wasting my money if the nav unit sucks.

6. Nov 19, 2011 at 8:12 PM
    theredofshaw

theredofshaw Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Somewhere on the East coast
    Vehicle:
    not a taco (guess that means I can be a MOD now)
    (totaled) 2011 Tacoma DC
    "Back by 3 year SquareTrade Warranty (Must be purchase separately )"

normally if something is backed by a warranty...doesnt that mean it's included in the cost?

7. Nov 19, 2011 at 8:13 PM
    chatapuggy1

chatapuggy1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    2009 Double Cab TRD Off-Road
    Yeah, navi was actually the worst part. I am not sure what maps they are using, but I have never seen them anywhere, the graphics for the street and words are blockish and not smooth at all. I recently bought a cheap knock off tablet, and the whole thing reminds me of it. It will get the job done, but its no ipad for sure and the quality is low grade at best. My last vehicle had the Kenwood garmin unit in it, took me forever to install, but that thing was pure quality, from the sound to the maps and even the bluetooth. I just should have pulled it out before I sold the car.

And oh yeah, he told me about the warranty too, but I found that weird, you are purchasing an online aftermarket warranty company that protects your purchase from another vendor? Weird.

8. Nov 20, 2011 at 3:17 AM
    TRDsport253

TRDsport253 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Edgewood, Wa
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD sport 4x4
    TRD Wheels TRD Skid plate
    Hey thanks puggy your review and opinion it helped out a lot. Now if only someone can review or opinion on the Rosen navigation factory look series.

9. Nov 20, 2011 at 6:54 AM
    USAFVol

USAFVol Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Sport
    Agreed. This may be a stupid question but the rosen website says 09-11, will it fit a 2007? 2005+

10. Nov 20, 2011 at 7:56 AM
    Conviction11

Conviction11 Busting Asphalt

Member:
    First Name:
    J
    South Carolina
    Excellent post puggy.
    Thank you so much for the intel.
    I'm the type of person that would rather spend double the money and be satisfied, then save money and be pissed all the time.
    I tried to tell that to my friend who got a standard tacoma. When he got it, he said it was all he needed, now he's thinking about trading it in. lol

11. Nov 20, 2011 at 1:53 PM
    shawnd2

Member:
    First Name:
    Shawn
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    As requested, see attached.

I tried to post them so they would appear directly in the post, but couldn't figure out how.

Shawn

image.jpg
    image_1.jpg
    image_2.jpg
    image_3.jpg
    image_4.jpg

12. Nov 20, 2011 at 1:55 PM
    shawnd2

Member:
    First Name:
    Shawn
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    Here are some more.

Shawn

image.jpg
    image_1.jpg
    image_2.jpg
    image_3.jpg
    image_5.jpg

13. Nov 20, 2011 at 4:26 PM
    mcaanda

mcaanda Geo-EngaNerd

Member:
    First Name:
    mcaanda
    NE Illinois / SE Iowa
    Vehicle:
    4 wheels and a monthly payment
    Shawn -

Very cool thank you. Im totally diggin' the back up cam in a huge screen!

14. Nov 20, 2011 at 6:00 PM
    shawnd2

Member:
    First Name:
    Shawn
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    Thanks. I really like the camera when hooking up my trailer, espicially since a have a cap.
    I also like the Garmin GPS software, very easy to use, and map updates are easy. That's one thing that worries me about these lesser known units.

Shawn.

15. Nov 30, 2011 at 7:27 PM
    GuyWithCamera

GuyWithCamera Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alan
    Tracy,CA
    Vehicle:
    Nissan 370Z
  16. Feb 7, 2012 at 10:27 AM
    ottonavigps

ottonavigps Well-Known Member

Member:

We use IGO 8 and in addition, you can choose your own map software. The unit you refer to seems like it was our older G1 given the time of your post last year november (2011). We currently have the newer upgraded G2 version...

17. Feb 7, 2012 at 10:30 AM
    ottonavigps

Member:
  18. Feb 7, 2012 at 10:30 AM
    ottonavigps

Member:
  19. Feb 7, 2012 at 11:13 AM
    ottonavigps

Member:
  20. May 25, 2012 at 1:52 PM
    Hard Luck

Hard Luck Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Pete
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma TRD Sport
    lift, cold air intake, jba headers, Boarla, 18" XD wheels, 33" Toyos, billet grille, in cab 110 outlets, 400 watt all the time, bed lights, fog lights anytime
    I just got the new G2 version. I installed it about a week ago and I love it. I do wish I could change the wallpaper and skins, and the GPS program takes a minute to boot up. They should program this to start at start up. I know the Prius chat guys have all kinds of hacks for the unit but with my version none of them will work, and I don't want to void my warranty.. after the year is up i might start hacking away at it to personalize it. It runs off windows and is easy to manipulate. You can even change your GUI with updates from Germany. For the money it is a pretty solid unit, I love how it plays AVI movies from a thumb drive.. The orange lights are a little off but if you run your dash lights all the way up you cant tell.. Big thanks to Daniel for the hook up.

Products Discussed in

To Top