1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Anyone switched from 60/40 bench seat to bucket seats?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Cvd2312, Apr 22, 2011.

1. Apr 22, 2011 at 4:25 PM
    Cvd2312

Cvd2312 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cory
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCSB TRD OR
    OME 885’s w/NitroCharger’s 3rd Gen Leaf Pack w/Icon Progressive AAL 265/70/17 Falken Wildpeak’s 17x9 Raceline Defender Wheels
    I'm wondering if anyone with a 60/40 split bench seat has bolted in a set of buckets from another Tacoma?

If so, did the buckets bolt in directly to the same spot? And what about the center console, is that easy to add in as well?

Thanks for the help!

2. Apr 22, 2011 at 4:59 PM
    RattleTractor

RattleTractor Lube: It's the key to penetration.

Member:
    First Name:
    Harry
    VT
    Vehicle:
    '04 Unicorn Tacoma
    1KZ-TE Diesel, GFC, Pizza cutters, Dorkel
    Think the previous owner of my '96 did it and the bucket seats just went right in. I bought the truck with the buckets in there.

3. Apr 22, 2011 at 5:20 PM
    Cvd2312

Cvd2312 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cory
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCSB TRD OR
    OME 885’s w/NitroCharger’s 3rd Gen Leaf Pack w/Icon Progressive AAL 265/70/17 Falken Wildpeak’s 17x9 Raceline Defender Wheels
    Cool, did it have the center console as well?

4. Mar 25, 2012 at 3:48 PM
    icemantaco

icemantaco LED BARS/HIDs/TRAIN HORN KITS WHOLESALE

Member:
    First Name:
    Isaac "Ice-Man"
    HOUSTON,Texas
    Vehicle:
    97' Taco in progress
    Kicker door speakers Blue LEDs behind instrument panel Blue LEDs in a/c vent White LEDs in grill 30k hids Pioneer single-din radio Aftermarket tail lights White LED reverse lights White LED dome light Multi-color LED underbody kit w/remote Rear view camera kit But still in progress :(
    hmmm i would make a custom center console :) great question,exactly what i want to do with my 97

5. Mar 25, 2012 at 3:54 PM
    wesrunner

wesrunner Gang Gang

Member:
    First Name:
    Wes
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    It's paid for.
    a buncha fuckin toyotas
    I put buckets in my truck. Not Tacoma buckets, but I did a little reading before and I'm pretty sure the buckets and split bench use the same mounting location. The 60/40 drivers' side bracket is different, but I'm pretty sure the mounting holes are the same. As for a center console, an ammo can works pretty nice!

6. Mar 27, 2012 at 7:10 AM
    Hillingdoner

Hillingdoner Well-Known Member

Member:
    Rio Rancho, NM
    Vehicle:
    95 LX xtracab 3.4L 4x4 5spd
    140 amp Cadillac alternator, Audio system in progress, 4Runner map light mirror conversion, foot well lamp addition, buckets and console from 99 Tacoma regular cab, big three, tint
    Okay, I have a 1995 xtra cab that had a 60/40. Found someone advertising that they wanted a bench and would swap buckets. Theirs was a 1999 regular cab.

Buckets and the 60/40 from these two trucks were identical as far as mount brackets and it was a straight bolt in swap. Mounts exactly the same. My shoulder belts snap right in and work as they should with the latch mechanisms from the 99 and visa versa.

With the console you have two pieces. The existing front piece that contains your shifter and then the rear portion. The rear portion uses the two back screws of the front console to mount in (rear console slides over the sides and uses the same screw holes).

The rear mount is inside the console. Two bolts go straight down to bolt the console in. I'd have to double check, but remember them being bolts not screws. Either way they mount the same, open the lid to the console and they will be going through the bottom of the console straight down.

Under the console is a bracket. Get the bracket and bolts that hold it in.

When installing the console on my truck I pulled the carpet up while the seats were out and found that I had two sets of existing mount holes with the captive nuts needed for the bracket on the floor. Just had to remove the clear plastic that covered the holes and then bolt the bracket down. Straight bolt in again.

Only thing I had to do was slot the carpet for the bracket to come through once it was bolted to the floor. Also, you will want to lay the console in for a test fit to ensure which set of mount holes you need for the bracket. That way you don't end up mounting the bracket to the wrong ones, cutting the carpet and then finding you needed to use the other set of holes lol.

Once the bracket is in then you just remove the rear screws from the side of your existing front console, slip the rear portion over it, put the screws back in and then bolt the rear of the console down inside the bin area under the lid. Done. Simple bolt on, at least for my year truck and the year I got the buckets and console from.

My truck has the grey/blue interior. There is a slight difference in the grey/blue colour between the years. The 99 console is just very slightly lighter, but once installed in the truck you don't notice and looks factory.

Well, that is my experience with doing the swap, hope it helps.

Oh, guess I should note that my existing 60/40 being in a xtra cab, had that quick release/slide forward on the seats so people could get in the back. On the buckets out of the regular cab you don't have this release or the foot realease pad for the rear passengers. No biggie as never have rear passengers, but still could if we needed too. All you have to do is pull the lever to tip the seat back forward and then use the adjuster to pull the seat forward. I'm a big guy and have plenty of room to get in and out of the truck. Probably the same I had with the 60/40. You just have to move the seat forward by using two levers instead of one.

With the rear foot pad release not there you do have to let the rear passenger out if you have one. Again, no big deal.

Cheers

7. Aug 13, 2021 at 2:52 PM
    Latsevyert

Latsevyert New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Trey
    Vehicle:
    2000 Silver Tacoma Single Cab 2.7l 4x4
    None
    I am looking for a bench (crazy I know). I need then for kids to ride in as I drop them off for school. I cannot find anything anywhere. I do not care about color. If it is in NC SC i can drive most likely. If not I would pay for shipping.

Stevegraces likes this.
  8. Aug 8, 2022 at 12:18 PM
    RetroGraphics

RetroGraphics New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Baltimore, MD
    Vehicle:
    2007 Taco Sport 4x4
    No real mods, slotted rotors for better breaking, and graphics.
    if anyone has a split bench still to get rid of, I could use it for my 2007 standard cab. I'm 5'6" so any tall passengers are knees to chest. But with 2 kids, one needs to be able to ride center.

Products Discussed in

To Top