1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Anyone using climate control seats?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by jvand678, Sep 20, 2009.

1. Sep 20, 2009 at 8:02 AM
    jvand678

jvand678 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Lubbock, TX
    Vehicle:
    '12 Dbl CabTRD Sport 4x4 Black
    Westin Nerf bars, full window tint, redline hood struts, Icon Coilovers, Wheeler Add a Leaf 3 pack (on its way)
    Hey guys,

My wife and I rented an Infiniti SUV when we were in Scottsdale and I've been hooked on this one ever since... The car had both heated and cooled seats. After trying it out, I think this is the ONLY way to go with leather. It pumps the cool air through the perforations in the leather and feels Oh so nice.

Doing a little googling, it looks like Amerigon has the market cornered on this climate control seating and is the one that provides it for all of the manufacturers.

Has anyone out there done this mod on theirs and if so, where did you find these units and what kind of price am I looking at to have both heated and cooled seats?

thanks,

Joe

2. Sep 20, 2009 at 8:15 AM
    OH-MAN

OH-MAN Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Sunny Az.
    Vehicle:
    10 4X4 O.R. White
    TRD skid painted black,
    We had a Navigator with the heated and A/C seats.
    That was very nice in the summer to combat swampazz.
    Most cars only blow air in the seats but the Gator had actual A/C ducts to it.

3. Sep 20, 2009 at 9:00 AM
    BeachBoy

BeachBoy Well-Known Member

Member:
    VT & QC
    Vehicle:
    '09 DC LB Sport+Leather
    Icon Extended COs / Camburg UCA / ATX Predator Teflon / Mickey Thompson MTZ / Color-Matched emblems / All-Pro Bumper & skids / Stubbs HD-SKO / Alcans custom leafs / U-Bolt flip / Icon rear resi shocks / Rear Bumper
    Mercedes has ac and it's awesome

I only have heat in the truck (leather ones in canada come factory with heated seats) but I'd love to have A/C.

it would mean to change the seat fabric to perforated leather.. that's too far on my list of things to do

4. Sep 20, 2009 at 9:46 AM
    JayAre

JayAre Well-Known Member

Member:
    OR
    Vehicle:
    13 TRD Sport DCLB
    I'm not really one for the heated seats, but cooled seats are amazing :) It feels like you're sittin in a swimming pool...I don't have leather, but I don't see why it couldn't work for fabric seats.

Have you found a place that sells those amerigon units?

5. Sep 20, 2009 at 10:06 AM
    jvand678

Member:
    Lubbock, TX
    Vehicle:
    Westin Nerf bars, full window tint, redline hood struts, Icon Coilovers, Wheeler Add a Leaf 3 pack (on its way)
    I wished I had.... That's what I'm hoping to find here. I'm sure one of the local interior shops could get it for me but I'm looking at doing it myself so I'd like to avoid the retail establishments if at all possible.

6. Sep 20, 2009 at 10:38 AM
    JayAre

JayAre Well-Known Member

Member:
    OR
    Vehicle:
    13 TRD Sport DCLB
  7. Sep 20, 2009 at 12:27 PM
    06dak

06dak Well-Known Member

Member:
    Central Ohio
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5 4cyl
    Undercover hard tonneau, Husky front liners
    I design seats for a living... that would not be a mod done so easily.

Cooled seats need a very porous material on top of it (like perf leather) and usually 2 fans pumping air through channels in the foam to the trim cover. So, at least, you would need: new trim covers, new custom foam pads, ducting, fans, wiring, switches, etc. Plus room to put all this in, which the tacoma really doesn't have. There are a few manufactures that make cooled seats, but I don't think there are many aftermarket ones (most of them make way more $$ from the OEMs than in the stores).

8. Sep 20, 2009 at 1:03 PM
    jvand678

Member:
    Lubbock, TX
    Vehicle:
    I knew that in order to do it, I would have to replace the seat covers and at the very least customize the foam to allow the venting and coiling systems. Yes a lot of work.... But do you think it would be extremely cost prohibitive to even consider?

In terms of room, is there less in our Tacomas than in the infiniti or in several smaller lexus cars.

9. Sep 20, 2009 at 1:21 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
  10. Sep 21, 2009 at 6:31 PM
    06dak

06dak Well-Known Member

Member:
    Central Ohio
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5 4cyl
    Undercover hard tonneau, Husky front liners
    I'm not sure how you'd run channels through the seat foam, and once you did how long it would last (once you cut up foam, it tends to break down much quicker than virgin foam - the skin tends to hold it together). You should have enough space, probably more than some cars. It may end up with some bulges in the back, though. Cost prohibitive is of course relative to what you expect to spend, but I would imagine it would be probably $500 in parts plus a bunch of weekends of work to put a custom system together.

To Top